Street racing youths sent to Army camp for rehabilitation

webfact

Street racing youths sent to Army camp for rehabilitation

134_Street-racer-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All the 63 street racers and pillion riders rounded up in Bangkok by a combined force of police, military personnel and local officials on Monday night were yesterday sent to an Army camp in Bangkok to receive a rehabilitation course to adjust their behaviour.

They are the first batch of street racers to enter the one week long course that aims to curb unsavory juvenile behavior under the recent order announced by the prime minister to take tough action on defiant youths.

All of them have their personal details recorded by the police and their parents were duly informed.

They were all sent to Royal Thai Army’s 1st Signal Battalion King’s Guard to undergo rehabilitation so that they will reform and not cause further problems for the public.

The battalion commandant Lt Col Suwara Kanjanaphoti said the priority of the rehabilitation programme was placed on developing discipline by undergoing lectures and training from instructors to make sure that these youths understand the consequence of their reckless actions.

He said throughout the entire 7 day course, they are allowed to go home under the care of their parents after every daily session but must return promptly the next morning.

Meanwhile Bang Pongpang police superintendent Pol Col Sompot Suwannajaras said upon conclusion of the 7-day course, parents of these youths are required to put up a 20,000 baht surety after which their seized motorcycles will be returned to them.

But thereafter their conduct will be closely monitored during a 2 year probation period and should it be found that they have resumed their former activities, the surety will be confiscated and the parents will face a 3 month jail term and a 30,000 baht fine.

He said questioning of these youths revealed that most of them felt it is a form of badge of honor to race on the streets.

They felt that they wouldl look like a hero in front of their friends.

He said what the rehabilitation coursee trying to do is to educate them on the folly of their actions and the negative outcome it has for both themselves and other people.

Of the 63 youths entering the course are 57 boys and 6 girls between the ages of 13 – 20 years.

Among the group there are 45 who are under 18 years old. Several have been injured while attempting to flee from officials and worryingly a number of the young girls were found to be pregnant.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/street-racing-youths-sent-army-camp-rehabilitation/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-20

The parents won't be best pleased with ruling "the surety will be confiscated and the parents will face a 3 month jail term and a 30,000 baht fine."

How on earth can a parent be expected to be in control of a 16/17 year old boy?

I really hate the term rehabilitation. If reminds me of brainwashing, which was used in the wars, or councellling for long term pfisoners etc. They need a stiff punishment, conviscation of their motorcycles, a fine, probation or a curfew and a warning that another time it will be a jail sentence.

So the military - that has for the 12th time forceably overthrown the Thai government, abolished the nation's constitution and granted itself amnesty each time from criminal prosecution - aims to curb unsavory juvenile behavior.

Indeed the chicken does come before the egg.

Why let them home each night. Lock them up, lights out at 8pm. Up at 4am the do the dirty work.

Yes, that should be part of the punishment. And a repeat offence bike crushed, 12 months jail, parents fined 30.000 baht. A third offense, public flogging in the town square with 2 years in jail and the parents get 6 months in jail as well!

The parents won't be best pleased with ruling "the surety will be confiscated and the parents will face a 3 month jail term and a 30,000 baht fine."

Many other countries they can,but diffently not in Thailand.The parents don't want to disturbe the sons and daughters that are going to clean your bones after you die.

Why let them home each night. Lock them up, lights out at 8pm. Up at 4am the do the dirty work.

Yes, that should be part of the punishment. And a repeat offence bike crushed, 12 months jail, parents fined 30.000 baht. A third offense, public flogging in the town square with 2 years in jail and the parents get 6 months in jail as well!

Sounds good to me, implement it immediately.

Well...if you wait until the kid is 17 years old to be a real parent, I guess you're screwed...if you were a parent thoughout the kid's life, then it should not be too much of a problem...

if they cannot control their teens, it is because the parents never taught them from the outset...

Parenting begins when the child growing up, instilling the right values in them. Then, when they get to 16/17, they don't need to be controlled. They know what is right and wrong, and the consequences of doing wrong. That is what parenting is about. Too difficult for many I know.

Parenting begins when the child growing up, instilling the right values in them. Then, when they get to 16/17, they don't need to be controlled. They know what is right and wrong, and the consequences of doing wrong. That is what parenting is about. Too difficult for many I know.

Problem is that far too many parents are not at home. Working away from home leaving the kids under the control of Grandma who has no control in most cases.

Even kids form good homes where there is good supervision, sometines go off the rails. A bit harsh to punish the parents for the misdeeds of the children.

Army camp is a good start, but the current rehab is far too soft. Let the kids learn the hard way. One month boot camp, no smart phones, no TV. up early, hard work, will surely bring results.

Don't let them near a motorbike,,,don't let them have the Keys,,,Kick his Ass /Break his legs,,,,,,,that ought to do it.

They are the first batch of street racers to enter the one week long course that aims to curb unsavory juvenile behavior under the recent order announced by the prime minister to take tough action on defiant youths.

Although I support re-educating "street-racers", I think the police and social services are adequate enough in doing this. The detention in an army camp for a week seems a breach of human rights to me. Remember, the more the public tolerate such punishments the more they, the current government will use them. Whose next for the attitude adjustment camps? Heaven forbid not farangs I hope. Edited by Wilsonandson

I really hate the term rehabilitation. If reminds me of brainwashing, which was used in the wars, or councellling for long term pfisoners etc. They need a stiff punishment, conviscation of their motorcycles, a fine, probation or a curfew and a warning that another time it will be a jail sentence.

"I really hate the term rehabilitation."

Simple Definition of rehabilitate

• : to bring (someone or something) back to a normal, healthy condition after an illness, injury, drug problem, etc.

• : to teach (a criminal in prison) to live a normal and productive life

• : to bring (someone or something) back to a good condition.

Rehabilitation sounds about right to me.