Give me some options for a nice "Sunday drive".

giddyup

Good thread but people who moan about driving are exaggerating - compared to Saudi - Kuwait - Burma- Vietnam - Libya Paris - Rome ... Thailand is a breeze for driving -

Read the question, I'm asking about places to go.
I did. It's a good question with some good responses. A good thread. I responded to the comments about driving in Thailand which I think are a bit mard.

Your response was deleted for good reasons, it had nothing to do with my question.

Somewhere on the main road between Rayong and Pattaya, there's a hill that has been cut in half and has a 30 metre Buddha gold-plated into the rock face. Saw it 20 years ago, probably still there. Quite impressive.

There's the big Buddha that's been etched into the rock near Silverlake, not sure I need to see another.Have you been there? It's ok. Combined with a visit to Wat Yan and Sikverlake, it's an ok day trip. Can do dinner at Prercha's in Bang Saray. Or at Rimpa Lapin.

Maybe Rimmer can add in a few more interesting places!

More off topic posts about driving in Thailand have been removed also quoted replies, did you not read the topic title and my previous removal notice.

As craig3365 said drive down to Wat Yan, drive across the lake to the Chinese Temple museum then from there cut across country to Silverlakes Vinyard and Buddha Mountain. Lunch at the Pizza restuarant overlooking Silverlakes, then turn right out of their carpark and head toward the 331. Right turn at the junction there down the 331 to join Sukhumvit left turn to Ban Chang and find the Lotus Tesco store (other carriageway) and take that straight down to the beach, turn left and follow the coast road all the way to 3392 at Maptaphut, which joins Sukhumvit

More off topic posts about driving in Thailand have been removed also quoted replies, did you not read the topic title and my previous removal notice.

As craig3365 said drive down to Wat Yan, drive across the lake to the Chinese Temple museum then from there cut across country to Silverlakes Vinyard and Buddha Mountain. Lunch at the Pizza restuarant overlooking Silverlakes, then turn right out of their carpark and head toward the 331. Right turn at the junction there down the 331 to join Sukhumvit left turn to Ban Chang and find the Lotus Tesco store (other carriageway) and take that straight down to the beach, turn left and follow the coast road all the way to 3392 at Maptaphut, which joins Sukhumvit

OK, thanks for that. Have been to the Chinese temple, Buddha mountain and Silverlakes a few times. but never eaten at the pizza restaurant, so will give that a try.

For a great trip out try wat caw sukrem (sorry for the spelling)

Its about 100k south of PATTAYA.

There is a free cable railway up to the wat that's half way up a small mountain.

Inside you can see the most fabulous collection of Jade, vases, furniture etc.

Its really worth a trip.

I have been many times.

There is a free cable railway up to the wat that's half way up a small mountain.

Its really worth a trip.

I have been many times.

You mean Wat Khao Sukim in Chantaburi.

Guys, this post is about places to see outside of Pattaya, not California traffic fines, or the dangers of driving in Thailand, OK? I mean really, who cares?

Or just stay home and watch Sideways.

Or never get out of bed. Really?

Its really worth a trip.

I have been many times.

You mean Wat Khao Sukim in Chantaburi.

Your right.

Thanks.

OK, thanks for that. Have been to the Chinese temple, Buddha mountain and Silverlakes a few times. but never eaten at the pizza restaurant, so will give that a try.

Maybe you went to the Chinese Temple complex but did you ever go into the nearby museum: "Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien)? Amazing collection of Chinese statuary, artifacts and military armaments. The only museum outside of China to have genuine clay warriors from the famous Terracotta Army. There is also a 3000 year old war chariot.

On the second, and third levels are dioramas of ancient Thai villages and displays of musical instruments and theater costumes.

If you are at all into the Martial Arts, on the outdoor, second level terrace is a display of 20+ life size bronze statues, all in lifelike fighting positions and stances...really beautiful stuff.

You can not wear shoes or sandals and the terrace floor gets really hot so bring slippers or heavy socks.

Worth of an entire afternoon. Last time I went there several years ago, admission was only B50 for foreigners.

Maybe you went to the Chinese Temple complex but did you ever go into the nearby museum: "Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien)? Amazing collection of Chinese statuary, artifacts and military armaments. The only museum outside of China to have genuine clay warriors from the famous Terracotta Army. There is also a 3000 year old war chariot.

On the second, and third levels are dioramas of ancient Thai villages and displays of musical instruments and theater costumes.

If you are at all into the Martial Arts, on the outdoor, second level terrace is a display of 20+ life size bronze statues, all in lifelike fighting positions and stances...really beautiful stuff.

You can not wear shoes or sandals and the terrace floor gets really hot so bring slippers or heavy socks.

Worth of an entire afternoon. Last time I went there several years ago, admission was only B50 for foreigners.

Yep, been there, done that. At least 3 times.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but it seems that most of the things to see I've already seen, either that or they are too far away for a Sunday drive. One place that I don't think anyone mentioned, but it's not a bad drive, is down to Mae Phim and back. Easily done in an afternoon.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but it seems that most of the things to see I've already seen, either that or they are too far away for a Sunday drive. One place that I don't think anyone mentioned, but it's not a bad drive, is down to Mae Phim and back. Easily done in an afternoon.

Where is it and what's to see/do?

There are aquariums in Bangsean and Rayong...I'm scrapping the barrel bottom here

But is the actual drive a pleasant one too? I have found a few nice enough places around Thailand which would be an hour or 2 drive... but the drive itself is not at all pleasant.

Yep, one of the things i miss most about living in Thailand, and especially Pattaya, the lack of anything if real scenic interest or beauty for an day drive. No real coastal highways and nothing scenic about the coastline in any case. Like you say, few, if any, destination restaurants or points of interest for most westerners...pathetic dribbling "waterfalls" and temples don't count. Within a 2-3 hour drive of my Bay Area home, there's a lifetimes worth things to see and do and endless culinary adventures.

I agree with you but then I don't, why on earth do you live in Thailand ?

Maybe you can't afford to live in the US anymore ? Oh come on your mate

is going to make the US great again

Edited by White Christmas13

I agree with 'Laem Mae Phim', has a nice restaurant called 'See the Sea' at the resort on the bend/beach corner. Nice drive down, stop off at a few places, ice cream stops, beaches (take towels), coffee etc...we have done it a couple of times and made a day of it.

Yep, one of the things i miss most about living in Thailand, and especially Pattaya, the lack of anything if real scenic interest or beauty for an day drive. No real coastal highways and nothing scenic about the coastline in any case. Like you say, few, if any, destination restaurants or points of interest for most westerners...pathetic dribbling "waterfalls" and temples don't count. Within a 2-3 hour drive of my Bay Area home, there's a lifetimes worth things to see and do and endless culinary adventures.

I agree with you but then I don't, why on earth do you live in Thailand ?

Maybe you can't afford to live in the US anymore ? Oh come on your mate

is going to make the US great again

I was misinformed...someone told me it was a great skiing destination.

There are some beautiful coastal roads in Chanthaburi province running through little bays and some decent beaches like Chao Lao and Laem Singh. In Chao Lao there's a good mangrove walk and aquarium. You could then go inland to hit Namtok Phlio, a pretty good waterfall. Chanthaburi town also has a really nice little old town along the river. I'd want to stay one night at a little resort along the Gulf but you could do it as a day trip from Pattaya. I think Chan is about a two-hour drive from there. It definitely beats the Rayong coast in my opinion.

I like the Wang Nam Khiao idea too. You could even do Khao Yai National Park in a day, entering through the southern gate via Nakhon Nayok.

Agreed. But getting there from Pattaya is a bit tough. 36 is a horrible highway. From there on its fair at best. Once there, it's pretty good!

Maybe a drive down the coast around Ban Chang? Some nice places to stop and not much traffic. Again, avoid the weekends at all costs!

I enjoy a trip down to Soi25 in Ban Chang every so often. Nice change of pace.

OK I will give it a go to suggest a few ideas. Please don't be critical, just add your better ideas to the list:

Sia Kaew beach in the Navy base 100 Baht p/p best beach within 200km

The Chinese Imperial Palace around the lake at Wat Yasangwararan. The artifacts are truly amassing. The only permanent exhibition of Terracotta soldiers outside china.

There are displays in there of artifacts 2000 years old in glass cases (and it is real). The bronze statues of the monks displaying martial arts is mind blowing.

the statues of all the Chinese emperors, healers, philosophers etc.. is fantastic.

A boat ride out to Kho Larn on the ferry can be fun for only 30B each way.

The Zoo up highway seven Khao Khewo open zoo. really is great . Nothing like the Tiger Farm.

The animals roam freely (except the tigers) I will go there any opportunity I can get. BRILLIANT

Lots of monkeys and animals to thrill kids and adults alike .Giraffe's, hippos, lions, ostriches.

cant get there enough.!

Also, if you have got kids, they also have "The flight of the gibbon" zip wire

Fly through the trees with ease. DO IT a few dollars or miss it forever.

Edited by Oink

OK I will give it a go to suggest a few ideas. Please don't be critical, just add your better ideas to the list:

Sia Kaew beach in the Navy base 100 Baht p/p best beach within 200km

The Chinese Imperial Palace around the lake at Wat Yasangwararan. The artifacts are truly amassing. The only permanent exhibition of Terracotta soldiers outside china.

There are displays in there of artifacts 2000 years old in glass cases (and it is real). The bronze statues of the monks displaying martial arts is mind blowing.

the statues of all the Chinese emperors, healers, philosophers etc.. is fantastic.

A boat ride out to Kho Larn on the ferry can be fun for only 30B each way.

The Zoo up highway seven Khao Khewo open zoo. really is great . Nothing like the Tiger Farm.

The animals roam freely (except the tigers) I will go there any opportunity I can get. BRILLIANT

Lots of monkeys and animals to thrill kids and adults alike .Giraffe's, hippos, lions, ostriches.

cant get there enough.!

Also, if you have got kids, they also have "The flight of the gibbon" zip wire

Fly through the trees with ease. DO IT a few dollars or miss it forever.

I think you mean "Sai Kaew" beach. I agree the zoo is a nice day out...but the drive there is just a 30 minute jaunt up a non-descript highway.

Well there are not really many/any options here in Pattaya I think, unless you get app 100km away.

Traffic make it so bad too I hardly ever uses my truck anymore but rather take my chances on my bike or the scooter (I don't ride the scooter far away).

If we go for a drive, we normally want to go somewhere for looking/eating but the drive itself is pretty boring.

Chang Mai/Rai area got some routes for a very nice Sunday drive but that is off topic.