Does Thailand Really Need Submarines?

webfact

Of course they do so they can be safely docked somewhere for selfies to be take posing in front of them.

If they actually go to sea will there be a standing order that under no circumstances must they dive ?

Owww!...the hatch....the hatch!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Thailand needs Chinese subs.

Got to keep the Chinese happy.

Totally useless for the Thai navy to have subs, but hey it is toys for the boys time.

Lets buy some subs, then ground them in the shallow waters in the gulf of Thailand.

Stupid idea, but Prayut needs to keep the navy on side.

You are right,the income of wealth needs to b shared by all services.The Army and Air Force can easly generate large incomes via the purching of every day equipment with out raising any undue attention,But The Navy's income outside of inventive creating of the cost of fuel ,food and such find it very hard.A Sub purchased lets say at 12 billion baht actualy cost about 5 billion baht with a fictual company in between (that the government ownes) absorbing the other 5 billion baht. Now the government after keeping their %0 % has about 2.5 billion baht to award the navy for their support in the coup. So Yes in this way they need the sub.

A few subs will certainly bolster a world class military that has fought many successful coups in the past 100 years. This will help defend the Chao Phraya during the next coup planned shortly after the next election. thumbsup.gif ... are we allowed to mention the "C" word on this site blink.png

"China would also transfer knowledge on the submarine maintenance, systems, and weapons."

I wonder if could get a small discount if skipped the knowledge base on sub maintenance.... ? Don't need what don't do

There seems to be some confusion between this article by The Diplomat and that reported on July 1 in both the Bangkok Post AND Xinhua, the official press agency of the People's Republic of China (see http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-07/01/c_135482012.htm).

According to these sources, Deputy PM Prawit had confirmed that the RTN will be purchasing the submarines (on instalments)!

However, regardless of whether the purchase still needs to go to cabinet (as suggested in this article) or not, this time Big Pom appears determined to ignore criticism of the cost of the subs, rejecting claims the money could be better used to boost Thailand's sluggish economy.

Interestingly, this could be seen more as face-saving, considering that just one year ago, The Diplomat reported Big Pom announcing the purchasing plan would “not be submitted to the cabinet", citing the need to take into account “public reception” (http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/is-chinas-new-submarine-deal-with-thailand-now-in-peril/).

Regardless of whether Thailand needs submarines or not, it would appear the junta, and their navel-gazers are determined to pursue their quest to acquire something to park at their submarine base at Sattahip in spite of what other Thais may think.

As history seems to have a way of repeating itself (especially in Thailand), someone should remind junta-head and his army cronies that the last time Thailand had submarines, navy officers attempted a coup! This might help put the idea on the beach (where it belongs) once and for all.

post-209291-0-62599600-1469072429_thumb.

No. And nobody needs a flashy car either, but flashy cars are commonly purchased by those who can. The subs will be bought, sooner or later, for the same reason. It's human freakin' nature.

I sit back and watch wearily. I already resigned from the human 'race'.

And 1 billion dollars is only the start for the toys for the boys.

All this money wasted when it could go into health and education of the poor.

Same old same old. Anyone north of Bangkok..... Well we all know where they stand.

Throw in the mothballed blimp, GT200 fiasco and the aircraft carrier with no planes and they want submarines. Can the Finance Ministry demand damages for tax payer money wasted like they did with Yingluck?

Of course they do so they can be safely docked somewhere for selfies to be take posing in front of them.

If they actually go to sea will there be a standing order that under no circumstances must they dive ?

Owww!...the hatch....the hatch!

K. Sir there's a lot of water, I think the toilets leaking.

this is a silly topic. but if we were to talk about what Thailand might need, and conceivable in our lifetimes (the peer reviewed Hansen study, just a few months ago) maybe they need what their most important neighbors already have? in a area that alliances such as that with the USA will not be of help at all. India, Pakistan and China... having gone back and forth across those borders not too long ago.... like the low pressure that makes for good circulation in a house, or allows planes to fly... at the same time Bangkokians will be in a fix, so will 100,000,000 Bangaladeshians and where o where will they choose to go if their choice is salt water and starvation... ? that's not the itsey bitsy Middle East.. and add in the Vietnam Delta at the exact same time!

Id like to get hold of a few litres of what you've been taking.

You farang don't know anything! How can you have an opinion about this question when you know that only "THEY" can answer it correctly. YOU MUST refer this question to those who know how to answer it BEST - you stupid Farang!

One word... No.... Submarines are about projecting power rather than defense.... or for moving your nuclear weapons around as a deterrent..... All they need for defense is sonar based listening posts setup around and maybe destroyers with depth charges to protect the coastal area.

You definitely have very limited military knowledge.

Well then add something and enlighten me.... what purpose does submarines serve for a country like Thailand?

I did. See # 33.on the why.It is about sharing with the Navy,On their military needs the explnation would take too long a text and you wouldn't understand any way. Sorry.

Edited by sanukjim

Well then add something and enlighten me.... what purpose does submarines serve for a country like Thailand?

I did. See # 33.on the why.It is about sharing with the Navy,On their military needs the explnation would take too long a text and you wouldn't understand any way. Sorry.

Silly me, I actually thought you were being serious tongue.png