Accident on Sukhumvit Causes 9 Injuries and 2 Hour Traffic Jam

webfact

Accident on Sukhumvit Causes 9 Injuries and 2 Hour Traffic Jam
Story by Albert Jack

p33.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 8pm on July 20 Sawangboriboon Rescue Services were informed of a nine-car pile-up on south bound carriageway of Sukhumvit Road at Soi 89, Pattaya. (Close to Macro)

Nine people were treated for injuries at the scene. Five of them were taken to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and four to Banglamung Hospital.

Forty-eight year old Ms. Kamphoon Chaochiangyuen said she was driving along Sukhumvit Road when a red Isuzu pulled out of Soi 89 in front of her and the two cars collided. Behind her a black Honda City, being driven by a Chinese tourist, swerved to avoid the accident and crashed into a Toyota Fortuner before overturning.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/228018/accident-on-sukhumvit-causes-9-injuries-and-2-hour-traffic-jam/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-21

an accident whose impact was compounded by

road users not following safety precautions like keeping safe distance

between vehicles and filtering without proper lookout.

traffic is bad on sukhumvit as it is and a nine vehicle pile up will definitely

add to the woes.

many drivers just don't leave enough room for error, travelling at 80 kph or above with the same distance from the car in front as if they were travelling at 20 kph. Clueless at best, but more likely brain dead.

I drive here every day in my car. I always make sure to have enough space from the car in front of me. Just to avoid accidents like these. Most locals will not follow my example. Edited by balo

Accidents are compounded by the fact that half the drivers here feel they have a right to filter into traffic on a main road without stopping or giving way, and the other half not wanting to let them.

Leaving a safe distance sounds fine in practice, but when you do there is always some Thai pr*t in another lane who decides that the safe space you have left was intended for him.

As for Thais joining from side roads, most of them dont seem to have the flexible neck joints that would allow them to actually look right before doing so. Of maybe they are just too lazy to do it.

many drivers just don't leave enough room for error, travelling at 80 kph or above with the same distance from the car in front as if they were travelling at 20 kph. Clueless at best, but more likely brain dead.

I drive here every day in my car. I always make sure to have enough space from the car in front of me. Just to avoid accidents like these. Most locals will not follow my example.

Doesn't that just encourage someone else to cut in front of you:

Oh, there's space there, let me go in there.

I drive here every day in my car. I always make sure to have enough space from the car in front of me. Just to avoid accidents like these. Most locals will not follow my example.

The trouble with leaving enough space is that someone will take that space. Best to leave just not enough space for someone to get into.

Expect everyone to pull infront of you and make sure they cant. It has served me well for a number of years.