where to buy cheap frozen steaks

manarak

I just came back from Marko south Pattaya.

The choice and quality of their steaks, both fresh and frozen has been declining for months already, down to the point of today, where I left empty handed.

Can anyone please recommend a place near south Pattaya where I can buy cheap frozen ribeye or striploin steaks, about 2 cm in thickness, price around 350 - 400 baht/Kg ?

If someone from Makro reads this:

- bring back the former regular supply of frozen steaks

- your guys at the counter sometimes cut steaks and freeze them... tell them to stop cutting steaks that are 1cm thin wafers, 2cm is ok

Edited by manarak

Friendship sometimes have some but normally not frozen ones so thick. We also stopped buying steaks at Marko a while ago, not worth it, chrappy steaks.

The is a forum sponsor that ships steaks, I forgot the name, perhaps worth trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree that apart from the expensive imported stuff, beef at Makro is garbage, and I've also stopped buying it. When I want red meat, I buy frozen NZ lamb now as it can actually be cheaper than the awful Thai beef.

Edited by Inn Between

I use Alistair at TGFC Asia for my steaks, they are lovely and he delivers on orders over 1500฿.

Ah just re-read the OP the ones I buy are over 500฿/kg.

Edited by RabC

Friendship sometimes have some but normally not frozen ones so thick. We also stopped buying steaks at Marko a while ago, not worth it, chrappy steaks.

The is a forum sponsor that ships steaks, I forgot the name, perhaps worth trying.

I think you are referring to PassionDelivery

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/933260-get-free-a-pack-of-cumberland-sausages-worth-290-baht-with-every-passion-delivery-order/

I believe Makro was sold recently which may account for the drop in quality, there was also a report a few months ago that the police had set up a desk in Makro and were checking farangs for work permits on the basis of they were shopping in Makro they must be running a business ! Not heard any recent reports that this is still happening?

Well, before about one year ago, I used to find some acceptable frozen steaks that were enjoyable enough to fix my occasional crave for steak, but now there is nothing worth buying.

I have had luck with FoodMart.

true, I found some delicious steaks at Foodmart. Once they must have forgotten the meat for "too long" in the counter before putting it up for sale in the shelves, it had black spots and looked ten days old or more, I bought it immediately - pure extasy!

Alas, Foodmart's steaks are hit and miss, and they are not frozen.

When I want to eat steak, I don't want to rely on potluck, I want to take one or two out of the freezer without leaving the house.

I believe Makro was sold recently which may account for the drop in quality, there was also a report a few months ago that the police had set up a desk in Makro and were checking farangs for work permits on the basis of they were shopping in Makro they must be running a business ! Not heard any recent reports that this is still happening?

Makro Thailand was sold in 2012 to Cp Foods.

I use Alistair at TGFC Asia for my steaks, they are lovely and he delivers on orders over 1500฿.

Ah just re-read the OP the ones I buy are over 500฿/kg.

I think the OP will be lucky to find anything good under that price. Even BIG C Australian Grain Fed or whatever their basic Oz steak is named which is acceptable is now I think 650 baht per kg - but that is fresh not frozen or perhaps defrosted...........whistling.gif

Agree that apart from the expensive imported stuff, beef at Makro is garbage, and I've also stopped buying it. When I want red meat, I buy frozen NZ lamb now as it can actually be cheaper than the awful Thai beef.

Ive poked around at those frozen NZ steaks in the freezer while shopping but never bought. Any good?

Makro was sold to CP last year.

In the years before packets of shares were sold to CP.

Since then the variety has, changed? Ko

Anybody nowadays can get a Makro card, no business needed, no WP needed.

Edited by hansnl

I think you are referring to PassionDelivery

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/933260-get-free-a-pack-of-cumberland-sausages-worth-290-baht-with-every-passion-delivery-order/

yes, but they sell premium products, while quality is certainly much better than what I buy, prices are far far far above my target.

Ive poked around at those frozen NZ steaks in the freezer while shopping but never bought. Any good?

Sorry, I don't know about the beef. I've only tried the lamb.

Foodland usually has a selection of inexpensive frozen steaks: "T"-Bone, Rib-Eye, Sirloin; in the frozen foods case. Some local, some Australian.

I have been there today.

They have some local ribeye at 390 /Kg, all other frozen beef is over 500 baht/Kg.

I didn't try it because it was cut too thin.

funny thing is, I also went to the supermarket in the basement of Harbor Mall next door and the guy in charge of meat there said that he currently isn't able to find local beef good enough to be sold there. Is Thailand currently possibly facing a shortage?

I was there last month and picked up 10 packs of the 3 pack rib-eyes @ 390 baht a kg... been doing this for years and only occasionally are they sold out. I love them.. marinated and grilled they are tender and tough to beat.

Kurt

I was there last month and picked up 10 packs of the 3 pack rib-eyes @ 390 baht a kg... been doing this for years and only occasionally are they sold out. I love them.. marinated and grilled they are tender and tough to beat.

Kurt

didn't see any 3-packs @390/Kg, only quite thinly cut single packs.

maybe we aren't talking about the same product?

on a side note, when will Foodland finally begin with the construction of their Thepprasit branch? Sign has been up for almost a year and no sign of any building work.

When I lived in Pattaya I always bought my steaks store Frienship, Pattaya Thai.

Select the quality "Hybrid" derived from crosses between local buffalo and Charollais of French origin, brought by a group of western producers in Sakon Nakhon region.

Sold around 500b / kg, a real bargain. Oddly enough, I did not find this choice in Chiang Mai.

When I lived in Pattaya I always bought my steaks store Frienship, Pattaya Thai.
Select the quality "Hybrid" derived from crosses between local buffalo and Charollais of French origin, brought by a group of western producers in Sakon Nakhon region.
Sold around 500b / kg, a real bargain. Oddly enough, I did not find this choice in Chiang Mai.

yeah, I got no trouble finding that sort of product - but I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel with a target price under 400 baht/Kg.