New chip cards used online

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card.

Not one of the new chip cards however.

I intend to go to my Bangkok branch of the Bangkok Bank, next week and apply for one of the new chip cards.

I just used my debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM today, and they are now allowing you to register from the ATM for their new on-line bill paying service.

I am not sure if that includes foreigners or not. and if it allows paying charges outside of Thailand.

I will ask next week, and see what they say.

> Can all the new chip cards be used online?

Yes, of course, but why would you do that?

All banks offer with their 'physical car' a 'virtual card' specially made for online payements.

Use of virtual card is more secure and avoid to send your real card data on the Internet...

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card.

Not one of the new chip cards however.

I intend to go to my Bangkok branch of the Bangkok Bank, next week and apply for one of the new chip cards.

I just used my debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM today, and they are now allowing you to register from the ATM for their new on-line bill paying service.

I am not sure if that includes foreigners or not. and if it allows paying charges outside of Thailand.

I will ask next week, and see what they say.

Unless you have a specific need/desire to get a Union Pay network card, make sure you ask for a Visa logo debit/ATM card.

I wasn't and received a Union Pay logo card and soon learned it would not work in most of the Bangkok Bank ATMs I normally use. Screwed around with it for a few days, then went back and swapped for one of the new Visa logo cards - they call it the "Rabbit" card. No problems, works at all my usual ATMs.

When was this that the UnionPay cards did not work? There are two versions available - a special card is required for RMB withdrawals in China so can not speak to that. AFAIK they do work at all ATM's and they have for me. You are presented with a choice screen where you select TBA to use as a Thai Bank ATM card. I have also used in SCB machines (without the menu choice requirement).

Memory fails between threads - old age as bad as old ATM. Suspect there was a programming issue with the ATM's where UnionPay card did not work as believe for BBL you must get that screen first (since they became compatible with other Banks chip card usage?).

Edited by lopburi3

OP asks:

go.png

"Can all the new chip cards be used online? Has anyone successfully done so? I'd just go get one but I'm outside Thailand and need to know for another purpose."

The answer is yes. The first time I used it on line needed to do some security questions but thereafter usage is fine and straightforward.