Bangkok mini vans to be relocated from Victory Monument

rooster59

Bangkok mini vans to be relocated from Victory Monument

post-247607-0-81940700-1469235897_thumb.

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s Transport Ministry has announced plans to relocate mini vans from Victory Monument.

From October, any vans operating under the jurisdiction of the Transport Ministry will be relocated to either Ekamai, Mo Chit or Taling Chan bus terminal.

Daroon Saengchai from the Transport Ministry said the relocation of more than 4,000 vans will be trialed from October 1st to 15. The success of the trial will then be evaluated and could be made official on October 25th.

He added that a shuttle bus service will be in place from Victory Monument to the bus terminals to help reduce inconvenience for commuters.

The relocation is necessary to help authorities control fares, stop influential people controlling minivan businesses, ensure passenger safety and ease congestion at Victory Monument.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-23

The relocation is necessary to help authorities control fares, stop influential people controlling minivan businesses, ensure passenger safety and ease congestion at Victory Monument.

If relocating the minibuses does all that, and there are shuttle buses in place to provide access to all of the other transportation links at victory monument, then it just might be a good thing.

However, we all know... it ain't gonna happen.

Invoke article 44. Build decent rail links spidering out from Bangkok.

No need for minivans.

I know it's not going to happen, but if Thailand had a decent rail system (no need for hi speed), the number of vans and therefore number of road deaths would decrease.

Edited by petedk

No need for minivans.

I know it's not going to happen, but if Thailand had a decent rail system (no need for hi speed), the number of vans and therefore number of road deaths would decrease.

Eliminate 44 and do it nevertheless.

Both won't happen but still...

Mini-van drivers drive like maniacs and the only real reason people take them is because they are conveniently located in a central location with plenty of access by buses and other city-vans. Moving them to Mo-chit or Ekkamai would kill the business as they have decent buses that don't drive like maniacs and make you feel nauseated.

How on earth is this going to reduce traffic at Victory Monument!?

Instead of getting on a Minivan to go to - say - Rayong now a commuter has to get on a Shuttle Bus at VM to get to Morchit, then get in the Minivan.

So instead of the Minivans causing congestion at Victory Monument there will be scores of Shuttle Buses causing congestion there.

I really wonder sometimes at the idiocy of these "planners"!

Patrick

I really it won't end up at Ekkamai bus station. The traffic is absolutely awful over there, it would just make it even worst.

I also, as a motorcycle rider, would rather have those minivan drivers the farthest away from me as I consider their reckless driving habits a great danger for any living form around...

If it's to control fares why no send uncover people and those found to be breaking law crush their minivan ,how long will it take to sort it that way ,if it's on video ,can't argue,will placing minivan in morchit stop this ,I think not because it goes on there aswell

Instead of getting on a Minivan to go to - say - Rayong now a commuter has to get on a Shuttle Bus at VM to get to Morchit, then get in the Minivan.

So instead of the Minivans causing congestion at Victory Monument there will be scores of Shuttle Buses causing congestion there.

Patrick

If you think a little bit harder you might understand it a bit better.

Not a dig at you but Thais do think.

Now because the minivans go to many places it takes time to fill them meaning many more are needed and waiting. Now if you put in a shuttle bus that brings all the passengers to one point and departing from one point you will have less vehicles waiting and a shuttle bus can take more people than a minivan. So it would help because now you don't need as many vehicles.

mini vans are both a boon and bane. vans provide

convenient alternative form of transport to destinations

not adequately covered by main stream transport system. they also

end up with undesirable bye products like traffic congestion and

operational problems.

one option would be to extend the mainstream roots.

another radical solution might be to have dedicated hub for the mini vans.

this must be sited near existing public transport facilities.

Patrick

Now because the minivans go to many places it takes time to fill them meaning many more are needed and waiting. Now if you put in a shuttle bus that brings all the passengers to one point and departing from one point you will have less vehicles waiting and a shuttle bus can take more people than a minivan. So it would help because now you don't need as many vehicles.

Plus not all passengers would go to Victory Monument first to take the shuttle bus, many (most?) would use alternative public transport to go directly to the bus stations from where they live.

Sophon

That will really be inconvenient for people travelling out of Bangkok and add an hour or more to their journey.

But very convenient for Bangkok commuters who much pass through the Victory Monument minibus jam, sometimes adding an hour to their journey.

Patrick

Seriously? Have you ever driven through there, or down the connecting road to Din Daeng? There are minibuses stopped everywhere, even along Phaholyothin Rd. Then there are taxis discharging people. Also, many, many pedestrians trying to cross roads to get to the minivans, which not only stalls traffic, but more importantly is dangerous for them. Even without the minivans, Phaholyothin Road through Victory Monument is one of the worst traffic jams in the city.

There is no station, no hub, no queuing areas, nothing at Victory Monument. Just minivans casually stopped everywhere, hawking passengers.

Patrick

Plus not all passengers would go to Victory Monument first to take the shuttle bus, many (most?) would use alternative public transport to go directly to the bus stations from where they live.

Sophon

Also true.. I did not even factor that in.. so all in all it would certainly improve things, traffic wise. But the convenience factor would not be as high for those used to going there.

It would inconvenience many people because Mo Chit bus station has no BTS connection.

Only if you don't count Mo Chit BTS station.

Your not from BKK ? The busstation they are talking about is not next to the BTS station, Its quite a bit away from the BTS station so I count that as NO BTS station.

No need for minivans.

I agree but bear in mind there will never be a rail link or indeed a decent Bus Link to many of the smaller Provinces and these are serviced well by Mini Vans

It would inconvenience many people because Mo Chit bus station has no BTS connection.

Only if you don't count Mo Chit BTS station.

Your not from BKK ? The busstation they are talking about is not next to the BTS station, Its quite a bit away from the BTS station so I count that as NO BTS station.

Indeed. It's too far reasonably to walk, which means a terrifying motorcycle taxi ride (40 baht when I last did it), or taxi. There really is no "joined up thinking" when it comes to transport planning in this country.

Incidentally, a similar plan to move all the minivans from Victory Monument was announced roughly a year or so ago. If memory serves me right, they were going to relocate under some overpass or other. Came the allotted day, nothing happened. Can't see this happening, either.

...so go I arrive at Victory...jump on a shuttle bus to catch a minivan at Ekemai...and the shuttle most likely bus slogs its way up Sukhumvit....or stop/starts its way to Morchit.....how about adding 2 hours for the shuttle bus journey either direction.....

Patrick

So, these thinking Thais plan that first you have to wait for the shuttle bus and after the shuttle bus has taken you to somewhere you didn't actually want to go to you then have to wait again for your minivan. Smart.