Last night's fiasco

Rayk

So last night I'm sitting in my usual Friday night pub having some drinks with some friends when all of a sudden one of the security rush in and grab me to tell me to come outside.

So I grab my glass of whiskey and rush outside only to find mine and another guys Ninjas laying on the ground.

Apparently This Thai guy came in to park and knocked over both bikes.

Well luckily I have insurance but guess what, neither the owner of the other Ninja or the guy who knocked over the bikes have insurance.

So quick telephone to my girlfriend to get her outta bed to come down and help deal with this.

Its obvious that guy is loaded drunk and he asked me how much I want. Well looking at the amount of damage I estimate about 30000b to repair and of course he says he doesn't have 30000 to give me which I knew anyway not to mention any money to fix the other guys bike.

So my insurance adjuster arrives and looks over the situation and in the meantime everyone is asking me to say it's my fault because I'm the only one with insurance.

No fing way am I taking responsibility for someone else's stupidity. Would they do the same for me. Hell no.

So off the the police station we all go to file a report.

When it's all over we are all leaving and of course the guy who knocks over the bikes smashes his bike right inside the police stations parking lot.

Typical Thai excuse was his brakes failed. Not even going to go there.

The police rush out screaming and hollering at him,blah, blah,blah and what ever and allow him to drive away.

Thankfully I still have insurance on my bike or it could have been a much different situation.

post-253837-1469249339254_thumb.jpg

post-253837-14692493553277_thumb.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This happened me last week, sitting in a restaurant and we heard a crash outside... Some idiot reversed his car back over my bike ....

I let him go without paying because it was midnight, we had a language barrier and the chance of getting the police to come out in the pouring rain was about zero....

I didn't think there was any significant damage in the dark but next day I noticed the handlebar slighly bent inwards....

What can you really do? If People dont have the money to repay you, I think your going to have to use your own insurance company.... Just The cost being a "rich farang" in a third world country..... :)

Thank god the food and beer is still cheap lol

My recent experience even with first class insurance with the more expensive 'dealer repair' option was a bit of a flop. Of the 3 parts damaged and needing replacement, they opted to replace the cheapest part with a new part from the dealer but the more expensive couple of parts were cannibalized from someone else's misfortune. The insurers tell the repair shops to do this as it's the only way they can make any money since the whole concept of insurance, let alone who has it, is totally abused in Thailand. The locals think insurance is for their daily scrapes and dings and the concept of 'knock-for-knock' is totally alien to them. "Insurance pay!" is their sad mantra instead of taking responsibility and driving more carefully... and sober.

You drive to a pub, drink whiskies then drive home?

Shame on you. Take a taxi next time.

ALWAYS call your insurance and let them sort it out. If you have no insurance(1st class) DEMAND the money and don't walk away like a fool.

Edited by Johnniey

This happened me last week, sitting in a restaurant and we heard a crash outside... Some idiot reversed his car back over my bike ....

I let him go without paying because it was midnight, we had a language barrier and the chance of getting the police to come out in the pouring rain was about zero....

I didn't think there was any significant damage in the dark but next day I noticed the handlebar slighly bent inwards....

What can you really do? If People dont have the money to repay you, I think your going to have to use your own insurance company.... Just The cost being a "rich farang" in a third world country..... :)

If they have a job, a monthly payment can be deducted from their salary.

You are without a doubt a ....................

I guess most posters agree.

Many people Thais included own expensive bikes and the one doing the damage is responsible he made the mistake. Had he / she not smashed into the bikes he / she would not have to pay.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

You've got it twisted as usual....
Why should someone who has worked hard enough to drive a million thb car let it be crashed and damaged by an uninsured pisshead on a scrap honda wave??

From your post we can safely assume you are the proud owner of 10k scrap on wheels though.. But relax... We won't hold it against you... Not everyone can afford the finer things in life wink.png

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

If they have a job, a monthly payment can be deducted from their salary.

This happened at around midnight in torrential rain, he accidentally reversed into the bike...

It would cost me more headaches to pursue a Thai for damages than just fix it myself so I just let him go, minor damage and the visibility was bad although how you can get into your car and not see a big red bike behind it is a mystery to me....

Thai driving at its finest... :)

You drive to a pub, drink whiskies then drive home?

Shame on you. Take a taxi next time.

ALWAYS call your insurance and let them sort it out. If you have no insurance(1st class) DEMAND the money and don't walk away like a fool.

If having 5 glasses of whiskey and plenty of food from the hours of 9:00pm until 2:00am and driving home afterwards is in your mind "shame on you", than same on me, not. Edited by Rayk

Sport bikes and whiskey....WOW.....

TV and moronic statements. Double WOW.

Never heard of drinking in moderation or are you the type that just gets loaded drunk everyday and stumbles back to your small apartment.

Many people Thais included own expensive bikes and the one doing the damage is responsible he made the mistake. Had he / she not smashed into the bikes he / she would not have to pay.

We'll see how you feel if you drive into a 40 million baht Lamborghini and your insurance only covers 1 million baht or even 10 million.

I agree with the guy. If you drive an expensive car or bike, it should be on you to insure it against people (even idiots) who can't afford 40 million baht of insurance coverage. Putting that burden on people who can barely afford to put gas in their Wave isn't fair.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

We'll see how you feel if you drive into a 40 million baht Lamborghini and your insurance only covers 1 million baht or even 10 million.

I agree with the guy. If you drive an expensive car or bike, it should be on you to insure it against people (even idiots) who can't afford 40 million baht of insurance coverage. Putting that burden on people who can barely afford to put gas in their Wave isn't fair.

So basically you are advocating that people should be allowed to drive around with no insurance to cover damages that they cause because they can barely afford to put gas in their wave and that the law abiding citizen who has insured their vehicle should cover the damages to his own vegicle and allow his insurance rates to rise because of some irresponsible person. If a person can barely afford to put gas in your wave as you say, well guess what, maybe thay shouldn't own one and definitely shouldn't be driving around on one that is not insured.

To borrow part of a quote from robblok:

You are also without a doubt .................

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Your fault for owning a more expensive bike than everyone else.

24k Honda Wave, worst bill you can possibly have is 24k.

Think of it as an extra road tax for driving more expensive wheels than the locals.

Someone with a 10k m/c crashing into a 1M car, why should Mr.10k insurance have to pay for Mr.1M life choice?

So basically you are advocating that people should be allowed to drive around with no insurance to cover damages that they cause because they can barely afford to put gas in their wave and that the law abiding citizen who has insured their vehicle should cover the damages to his own vegicle and allow his insurance rates to rise because of some irresponsible person. If a person can barely afford to put gas in your wave as you say, well guess what, maybe thay shouldn't own one and definitely shouldn't be driving around on one that is not insured.

If you can afford a 40M car, you can afford insurance to take care of all eventualities.

This is essentially ho the Thai traffic laws work, rich person pays for poor person.

And it's one of the good ideas they have here.

Your fault for owning a more expensive bike than everyone else.

24k Honda Wave, worst bill you can possibly have is 24k.

Think of it as an extra road tax for driving more expensive wheels than the locals.

Someone with a 10k m/c crashing into a 1M car, why should Mr.10k insurance have to pay for Mr.1M life choice?

i was taught from a young-ish age that if i can't afford the insurance then i can't afford the bike/car/boat/travel. Now, i'll just sit back and what for all the inane replies about bringing farang logic to a thai situation! laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

i was taught from a young-ish age that if i can't afford the insurance then i can't afford the bike/car/boat/travel. Now, i'll just sit back and what for all the inane replies about bringing farang logic to a thai situation!

Get a quote on an insurance policy that would cover you if you hit a 40 million Lambo or a 30 million Merc. Rub that up against a Thai salary and answer if it's fair that some Thais have to pay 200-300% of their salary so they can use the roads without the fear of perpetual bankruptcy if they make a very human mistake..

Insurance? Sure. Require it. But make the coverage requirement fit the economic realities of the country. And if people want to drive cars or bikes that the majority of the locals can't afford to insure against hitting, they should shoulder the burden. Why should I have to pay a huge insurance bill so some HiSo kid can bop around in a multi-million dollar toy?

Which begs the question, what's your plan if you were to wipe out a Bentley? You covered? I doubt it. So by your own young-ish teaching, you shouldn't be driving, should you? Unless you're insured or self insured against ruining some HiSo's toy, you're violating your own line of thinking.

Edited by impulse

When the f did a 40m baht car come into the equation.

So, where would you draw the line, about 110% of your car's (or bike's) value?

And what's your plan if you hit a 40 million Lambo or a 30 million Merc?

i was taught from a young-ish age that if i can't afford the insurance then i can't afford the bike/car/boat/travel. Now, i'll just sit back and what for all the inane replies about bringing farang logic to a thai situation!

Get a quote on an insurance policy that would cover you if you hit a 40 million Lambo or a 30 million Merc. Rub that up against a Thai salary and answer if it's fair that some Thais have to pay 200-300% of their salary so they can use the roads without the fear of perpetual bankruptcy if they make a very human mistake..

Insurance? Sure. Require it. But make the coverage requirement fit the economic realities of the country. And if people want to drive cars or bikes that the majority of the locals can't afford to insure against hitting, they should shoulder the burden. Why should I have to pay a huge insurance bill so some HiSo kid can bop around in a multi-million dollar toy?

Which begs the question, what's your plan if you were to wipe out a Bentley? You covered? I doubt it. So by your own young-ish teaching, you shouldn't be driving, should you? Unless you're insured or self insured against ruining some HiSo's toy, you're violating your own line of thinking.

The class 1 insurance I have on my motorcycle which cost me 16000baht for the year covers 3 hindred thousand baht for death,

10 million baht damage to another persons vehicle and 1 million baht property damage.

And that's 1st class for a Ninja 650.

I can't be bothered to prove you wrong on my class 1 insurance for my 2 cars but I can assure you it would cover the damages to a 30 million baht lamborghini.

Kind of throws your theory out the window now doesn't it.

post-253837-14692767980425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayk

So you think a motorcycle can cause 40 million baht worth of damage to an exotic car.

Bit it will cover 10 million baht worth of damage to such a vehicle.

You are being ludicrous

Why not just let the poor get away with rape and murder as well because you know, they are poor.

Edited by Rayk

What can you really do? If People dont have the money to repay you, I think your going to have to use your own insurance company.... Just The cost being a "rich farang" in a third world country..... smile.png

Well for a start the police could check documentation of riders they stop, insurance being one of the item to check. That I guess would be asking too much though

Never heard of drinking in moderation or are you the type that just gets loaded drunk everyday and stumbles back to your small apartment.

You're going to lose the sympathy vote if you carry on being pompous and superiour!

And while I'm at it why don't I fix all his friends bikes because he was only driving while being loaded drunk.

And you were in the process of getting drunk. Maybe his accident saved your life!

Can't see much difference really, parking outside a bar is asking for trouble.

Don't put words in my mouth. Did I once ever state that I was ever in the process of getting drunk.

Just because every time you go out, you get drunk doesn't mean the rest of us do.

You obviously don't leave your man cave very often to socialize.

"Parking outside a bar is asking for trouble"

Your moronic statements get better and better the more you write.

You're going to lose the sympathy vote if you carry on being pompous and superiour!

First of all I'm not looking for any sympathy, from you or anybody else on TV.

And secondly.. ahhh it's not worth explaining.

So you think a motorcycle can cause 40 million baht worth of damage to an exotic car.

You are being ludicrous

Why not just let the poor get away with rape and murder as well because you know, they are poor.

I've seen a dog cause 40 million baht in damages (and fatalities) when the driver swerved to avoid it. What's ludicrous is thinking a scooter can't get you into real hot water, especially in the Land of Smiles and infallible justice.

Rape and murder are deliberate acts. If you can't tell the difference between those and an accident, it's probably time to step away from the bottle when you type.

Your fault for owning a more expensive bike than everyone else. - That is a very moronic comment...seriously - what is your logic?

24k Honda Wave, worst bill you can possibly have is 24k. - A 24k Honda wave in not a suitable motor vehicle for travelling "far from the village"

Think of it as an extra road tax for driving more expensive wheels than the locals. - Another moronic comment - the motorbikes damaged were a long way from being 1MB+ 'exotics', they are very common with the 'locals'

Someone with a 10k m/c crashing into a 1M car, why should Mr.10k insurance have to pay for Mr.1M life choice? - 1MB gets you bugger all in LOS for a car, why should Mr1MB be in anyway responsible for Mr10k's actions?

i was taught from a young-ish age that if i can't afford the insurance then i can't afford the bike/car/boat/travel. Now, i'll just sit back and what for all the inane replies about bringing farang logic to a thai situation! laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

And I was taught from a youngish age that if I damage someone else property I'll have to take responsibility and pay for it.

You are being ludicrous

I've seen a dog cause 40 million baht in damages (and fatalities) when the driver swerved to avoid it. What's ludicrous is thinking a scooter can't get you into real hot water, especially in the Land of Smiles and infallible justice.

Rape and murder are deliberate acts. If you can't tell the difference between those and an accident, it's probably time to step away from the bottle when you type.

The dog didn't cause any damage, the driver did it to himself. He shouldn't have swerved.