Parents place 20,000 baht cash deposit to guarantee their kids won’t return to street race

webfact

Parents place 20,000 baht cash deposit to guarantee their kids won’t return to street race

651_race-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Parents of the 63 young motorcycle street racers and pillion riders today came to Bang Pongpang police station to place 20,000 baht each as cash deposit to guarantee that their children will not go to the street race again or else it will be confiscated, and parents facing 3-month jail term and extra 30,000 baht fine.

They came to place the deposit with the police after their children have finished a week-long rehabilitation programme and training at the army camp since their arrest since July 17.

At the police station, some parents voiced opposition to the cash pledge to guarantee that their kids won’t return to the race agsin, reasoning that it was a heavy burden for them.

Some said they have to borrow money to pledge and they also doubted the handling of the police in concluding quickly that their kids were street racers.

But Bang Pongpang police chief Pol Col Sompot Suwancharas said the police enforced the law under the directive of the military junta.

He said disagreement voiced by parents was tantamount to pass the burden to the societies.

He said the cash deposit would be sent to the Finance Ministry to take care of for two years.

If these racers are caught for racing during the to the two-year protective period, the cash deposit will be confiscated and contributed to Children Protection Fund.

Their parents will also face three months in prison, and a 30,000 baht fine, or both.

He said the 61 motorcycles seized will be returned to their owners after nothing illegal were found.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/parents-place-20000-baht-cash-deposit-guarantee-kids-wont-return-street-race/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-26

I bet many don't even have the 20k baht. If they had they could have bought helmets and a proper motocy for racing.

But i like this rule anyway, the parents are responsible for their kids, all the time and even when they don't see them.

I am not sure how many parents can afford to deposit 20,000 ??

Why not closing some roads between 11PM-1AM for young men and women join racing ?

Police and Army can make rules, ambulance service and help them to be good kids rather than restricting them ?

There not much social activity for kids due to lack of public space, and public parks makes them feel lonely and try to spend their energy on either computer games and racing. Sad indeed.....sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Why not closing some roads between 11PM-1AM for young men and women join racing ?

Police and Army can make rules, ambulance service and help them to be good kids rather than restricting them ?

There not much social activity for kids due to lack of public space, and public parks makes them feel lonely and try to spend their energy on either computer games and racing. Sad indeed.....sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I dont know how much you know about street race. But one of the thrill is to avoid getting caught.

Second, those girls are usually exchanged as "gift" to the winner. You know what the winner do with the girls.

Should a teenager really be out on the street on 11pm-3am ?

Would it be better to race in the afternoon? Clearer view, safer, etc. ? That's not what the kids wants, they want to get accepted in their community, this is one way to get them. The winner takes the byke, and the girls, free sex, etc. Money.

Some of these kids are willing to steal or rob other people just to upgrade their bike with a louder sound.

Legal bike track exist, but that suits only for those who are truly interested in speed racing. Racing is one thing, getting accepted is one thing, these kids wants to get accepted, and has nothing better to do than going out at night with a bunch of friends, proving to his friends how "manly" he is, and win the race.

Having worked with some of these kids I can see how neglected they are. Thai culture now has the parents to be financially responsible for their kids only, the teaching goes to the tutor, teacher. Most technical students doesnt get a proper study due to the toxic environment they are in. I have taught in a few technical college for those under 18 and God... I cant begin to say how different they are from the normal schools. This is a serious issue, rotten to the core.

Edited by Seizhin

Teenagers need a safe and supervised place to race, why not provide it?

Love him or hate him, Nevin Chidchob opens the Buriram Racing Circuit on Friday nights for these guys. They have to wear helmets and proper shoes and it's well attended.

"Some said they have to borrow money to pledge..."

How about selling the motorbikes? Get the kid a pushbike or let him walk. Probably needs the exercise anyway.

And if sell the bike, would they still need to put 20k deposit (of course kid could always steal one or beat up mom/sis or whomever to get one)

Well, the first thing the parents can do is to insure the kids wear high quality helmets, at all times. If found without the helmets, the parents take the bike away, forever.

This is a decent answer to a horrendous problem. Just yesterday four people were killed near Chiang Mai, street racing. Two of the ones killed were a mother, and her unborn child. They were killed while being in the midst of the monsters. Anything to get these kids under control is a good step. Since most of the parents and most of the cops are relatively worthless, in the performance of their jobs, something has to be done. Never mind the burden placed on the parents. They should have considered that before getting pregnant.

There not much social activity for kids due to lack of public space, and public parks makes them feel lonely and try to spend their energy on either computer games and racing. Sad indeed.....sad.png:(sad.png

You have a great idea but it would take time and work. The BIB are just to tired after work to participate. Now offer some cash incentive WOW stand back.

I bet many don't even have the 20k baht. If they had they could have bought helmets and a proper motocy for racing.

But i like this rule anyway, the parents are responsible for their kids, all the time and even when they don't see them.

Unfortunately in Isaarn the parents, let's say of farm workers and labourers, have little skill in bringing up children as they implement a system of spoiling them and allowing them to do as they please. Schools are not much better as places of learning people skills, with lousy educational standards. The kids care more that they are wearing the correct daily uniform than they do about learning anything at school.

This leads to them disappearing off to Bangkok and Pattaya and the islands,, both male and female at very young ages to fend for themselves, or probably, in this case, on the pretext of going to earn the 20,000 baht to give back to the family! This of course will never happen once they hit the bright lights of the cities.

Those that remain, the absolute bone idle ones, tend the rice fields of planting and harvesting ( maximum of three to four weeks a year, if you are lucky! ) and then while away the hours gambling, stealing, cock fighting, rice whisky, Yaa Baa, hanging around the gates and looking for underage sex at the schools and of course,.........bike racing.

Unless they are the exception, or under strong guidance from parents, ( usually those from Thai Chinese upbringings ) this is the life that awaits them.

All of the above coupled with a low regard for the law or human life, and you see what a basket case Thailand actually is, for the most part.

The best way to enjoy life in Thailand and survive is to go about your own business in a polite and sociable manner and keep yourself to yourself and your partners/ loved ones without entering the fray. It really is... a jungle out there!

Edited by Scouse123

even my little cockateil with miniature brain, can escape cage if it want out, and it is I who gets scolded

or

parents have same brain as that (policeman's son) who thinks there is nothing to worry about...

...motorcycles will be returned because nothing illegal was found.....

....duhh.....they were caught illegally racing in the streets...

.... duhh.. It means illegally modified.

Teenagers want a lot of things, should they all be provided free just because they want it? Or should young adults learn nothing is free and there are some things you just can't have?

BTW I have helped prepare race bikes and it is a serious business, with regulations requiring wiring shut or split-pinning sump plugs, axle nuts and other strategic fasteners, and the highest standards. Young Thais seem to make their bike as dangerous as possible to prove themselves heroes. Often the only working bulb is the headlight (red, blue or green), minimum size tyres, most padding cut from seats, lowering to minimal clearance, shortening of wheel base by cutting into swingarm, rear brake removal. utter stupidity.

Edited by halloween

Wonderful idea…it should be applied nationwide.

Waiting for….

“Army places 20 trillion Baht deposit to guarantee its rascally soldiers won’t take over the government.”

Edited by Hayduke

We had 'drag strips' when I was a kid. It kept most of us off the road and gave us a place to hang. There is a lot to be said for it.