'Crackdown on nut-selling Kaek' article in newspaper is latest example of casual racism in Thai cult

snoop1130

'Crackdown on nut-selling Kaek' article in newspaper is latest example of casual racism in Thai culture
By Coconuts Bangkok

screenshot2_0.jpg

THAILAND:-- A news article about the increase of police prosecution on illegal street vendors was headlined as “a crackdown on nut-selling Kaeks [indians]” on the front page of a leading Thai newspaper yesterday. It was the latest in a string of examples of casual racism against people of Indian-descent that are casually accepted in Thai culture and presented in the media.

Kaek is a casual word Thais use often to refer to Indians, but in some cases, they also use the word to refer to people from other South Asian countries.

“Crackdown on nut-selling Kaek! [They] sell fabric, give loans, act like mafia, have settled here for a long time,” the headline read.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/26/crackdown-nut-selling-kaek-article-newspaper-latest-example-casual-racism-thai-culture

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-26

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

at the Temple this morning, we are sitting eating, after the monk had finished.

One of the elder women reaches over then stops, for the rice - looking bewildered, almost scared...

"what this - is farang?"

wife: "no it Indian"

I lean over to wife " lucky you not say it was farang- as she will insist not like it"

"why not" wife replied

"it will taste bad, like Guava"

There's no racism in Thailand. It's their country and they can do and say what they like. Well, this is according to many 'farangs' who say this 'cos they wish their countries were the same.

With the Brexit and Donald Trump, your dreams may become a reality. For the rest of us, it's a sad reminder of how primitive we still are.

I would caution on calling this RACISM. The watch, nut, cloth guys are lowly people, in debt to high ups, usually other Indians with Thai citizenship. The loan sharking is the worst, resorting to outrageous interest and even violence for non payment. How compliant are these sellers/employers with immigration laws? I'll go out on the limb, by saying I don't think they have work permits. Most of us comply with Immigration rules, while others simply cough up tea money, and carry on? The corruption finger pointing is a small step, when the reality of the solution is just spinning fiction, so that when the dust settles, it's business as usual.

In my opinion racism on an aggregated measure is directly proportional to eduction level. Discrimination and racism are different and often confused. Sometimes discrimination is cultural - in Japan for instance, they are not outwardly racist but definately discriminate when it comes to migration for instance. Is that a bad thing? Look at Europe today.

...when foreigners protest against this rampant psychological/spiritual pathology....they are deemed the racists....!!!

... and worse than - Conscientious Objectors

or

...just - a wallflower

(as defined...)

It's nice to live in a country where people aren't bangin-on, and, and on about racism, sexism, thisism & thatism!

I am sure that some of my Brit compatriots have an obsession with such things, which they seem to see everywhere, all of the time! (at least when they aren't being offended by something, or apologising for something that had nothing to do with them).

I've often wondered why these people are allowed to work. Obviously they are working illegally because any Thai person can sell nuts.

Interesting that they are offended by the term Kaek when I myself have been turned down for an apartment even after knowing they had ones available with "no farang".

The Thai don't consider themselves racist, for them this is normal.

I have always wondered about these nut-selling Indians. At Bangsaray beach they ply their trade along the beach at weekends and one wonders what are these Indians doing this for?

Questions arise like:

Did the family tailor business fail?

Couldn't they find some other occupation more profitable, because they don't seem destitute in any way, well dressed and polite, excellent English and not very young but rather middle aged or upper middle age?

Do they have some sort of monopoly on this business, because I never see any Thai doing this?

Is it one large Indian family doing this nut job or several different, and if so how did it come to pass they started selling these nuts, which you can buy at lotus about the same price and better quality?

I have witnessed these nut selling Indians using this as a cover for loaning money to the working girls. They arrive simultaneously with the sexy dress / bra's and knicker sellers. The girls borrow and they collect 10% on each visit. I'm not saying that's what they all do but it's common knowledge with the girls they can take a small loan from them. Many girls get in too deep.

As for using the word Kaek been racist it is simply a word used to describe the approximate origin of a person no different than farang. The Thai's don't mean any malice. We talk about Thai's on here and use that as a description of people from Thailand.

If we ask the person where they are from we can directly say French, African, Indian but if we are asked to describe where they are from without knowing how should we describe them? Dark brownish,

I have witnessed these nut selling Indians using this as a cover for loaning money to the working girls. They arrive simultaneously with the sexy dress / bra's and knicker sellers. The girls borrow and they collect 10% on each visit. I'm not saying that's what they all do but it's common knowledge with the girls they can take a small loan from them. Many girls get in too deep.

As for using the word Kaek been racist it is simply a word used to describe the approximate origin of a person no different than farang. The Thai's don't mean any malice. We talk about Thai's on here and use that as a description of people from Thailand.

If we ask the person where they are from we can directly say French, African, Indian but if we are asked to describe where they are from without knowing how should we describe them? Dark brownish,

Lol, you obviously don't speak Thai.

You'll be saying , "jek", for a Chinese is not racist next.

I have always wondered about these nut-selling Indians. At Bangsaray beach they ply their trade along the beach at weekends and one wonders what are these Indians doing this for?

Questions arise like:

Did the family tailor business fail?

Couldn't they find some other occupation more profitable, because they don't seem destitute in any way, well dressed and polite, excellent English and not very young but rather middle aged or upper middle age?

Do they have some sort of monopoly on this business, because I never see any Thai doing this?

Is it one large Indian family doing this nut job or several different, and if so how did it come to pass they started selling these nuts, which you can buy at lotus about the same price and better quality?

as long the trading or vending is done fairly what difference does it make to anybody.why not look it as a kind of

social service being provided as like by any other vendor. if it is illegal activity by over stayers then it becomes an issue.

some communities or clans do specialize in particular trades. just as a matter of interest there are many indians in this nut trade at Jonker street in Melacca, Malaysia.

I've often wondered why these people are allowed to work.

I think it's illegal if they are not naturalised Thai nationals. If they are (still) foreigners for Thailand, they likely do it without a work permit as they are involved in prohibited occupations.

I've often wondered why these people are allowed to work.

Many ethnic Indians have been here for a large number of generations. If one past relative is a Thai, then the rest of the lineage will have been eligible for Thai ID, passport and will be officially Thai. They just get called 'Khaek' - 'Guest' in Thai, as they will never be socially accepted as Thai.

...when foreigners protest against this rampant psychological/spiritual pathology....they are deemed the racists....!!!

Well you are slightly over exaggerating there and using hyperbole.

It all depends on context and what is actually said.

If you speak out again foolery then fair enough, if you are talking about individuals stupidity.

If you go on to make derogatory statements about Thais for just being Thai and think all Thais are the same, then, yes, you could be deemed racist.

I would caution on calling this RACISM. The watch, nut, cloth guys are lowly people, in debt to high ups, usually other Indians with Thai citizenship. The loan sharking is the worst, resorting to outrageous interest and even violence for non payment. How compliant are these sellers/employers with immigration laws? I'll go out on the limb, by saying I don't think they have work permits. Most of us comply with Immigration rules, while others simply cough up tea money, and carry on? The corruption finger pointing is a small step, when the reality of the solution is just spinning fiction, so that when the dust settles, it's business as usual.

Yes, I believe you nailed it. The takeaway should be: "exploited and oppressed people in a caste system is and always has been a model for Thai society and identity."

Ironic.

Most of Thai culture and language (Pali, Sansakrit) are derivative from the subcontinent. Buddhism to Brahman ceremonies at the highest levels of Thai culture are evidence. Songkran to Loykratong to Royal Ploughing ceremony ... and so on.

All culture is derivative. Same with Rock and Roll. It all starts from somewhere and taken over and added to by other cultures, and in the case of Rock and Roll it got better! Look at Delta Blues and how it grew into lovely Chicago Blues ... and great bands like Rolling Stones, Clapton, you name it....

I guess the Thai Buddhism and Thai Sangha are examples of what has been done with Buddhism as it came from the subcontinent?

There's no racism in Thailand. It's their country and they can do and say what they like. Well, this is according to many 'farangs' who say this 'cos they wish their countries were the same.

With the Brexit and Donald Trump, your dreams may become a reality. For the rest of us, it's a sad reminder of how primitive we still are.

What the hell has Brexit got to do with this?

Oh I get it, all Brexit supporters are racists! More like people who post such drivel are indeed primitive in their thinking as you say.

Thais have many different words for foreigners, Farang doesn't cover all white westerners.

Khaek isn't just Indians.

Racism gets thrown about too much these days, the majority of the time it is not meant in a derogatory way but the PC brigade jump on it anyhow.

You can shove that horrible word Farang as I am English and have no wish to be lumped together will all White people from all countries.

Best of luck, with that. The Thai will be thrilled to know that you are somehow distinguishable as a Brit, among countless other Brits, Aussies, Canucks, Yanks, et al.

I get so sick of this political correctness, so what if I'm a falung and he's a caek, who decides what is a 'slur' and which word is just ok like 'black' or 'white' I call myself a falung and other americans, auusies and europeans falungs or farangs so what.. when I'm back in the US, around long beach-compton, watts etc. I hear black people using the word nigger constantly, ok I wouldn't use the word because its like a black thing to use it but still, not a big deal and the bigger issue is black people getting shot by police for no reason everyday.

These caek nutsellers annoy the hell out of me! They will NOT take no for an answer, I have to tell them NO five times and they come into bar and restaurant area's like they own the place, I don't understand why they are in this country doing this, don't tell me that india is so bad that they have to come here and sell nuts on the street with no work permit. Just last friday night i was in an outdoor bar/restaurant and i got bothered by them 3 times, each time having to tell them no several times until i have to raise my voice and the Thai staff just ignors it and lets them carry on.