'Crackdown on nut-selling Kaek' article in newspaper is latest example of casual racism in Thai cult

snoop1130

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've often wondered why these people are allowed to work.

Many ethnic Indians have been here for a large number of generations. If one past relative is a Thai, then the rest of the lineage will have been eligible for Thai ID, passport and will be officially Thai. They just get called 'Khaek' - 'Guest' in Thai, as they will never be socially accepted as Thai.

Using that definition you are saying Thais are rather backwards and behind Europeans, Americans and Australians who socially accept nationals of other lineage to be their own.

There's no racism in Thailand. It's their country and they can do and say what they like. Well, this is according to many 'farangs' who say this 'cos they wish their countries were the same.

With the Brexit and Donald Trump, your dreams may become a reality. For the rest of us, it's a sad reminder of how primitive we still are.

Pretty bad dreams at that. can't say I'm nearly an expert on Thailand, but I know all there is to know about racism in my country, and near as I can tell I've heard nothing of Thai police gunning down innocent young dark skinned Thais, assaulting drivers for traffic violations, nor have I heard of snipers taking out Thai cops in retaliation. Haven't heard of any white supremacy factions or neo NAZIs in Thailand. True racism is ugly, bloody, and hateful. I find it nauseating. From what I've gathered over the past 3 years I would say there are stereotypes and prejudices in Thailand based on social classes but it doesn't compare to the horrible disease of racism which has been a cancer on American society since the days of slavery. I have heard from a lot of Thais that they dislike the Chinese because of the bad behavior of a lot of Chinese tourists, but I think that is directed only at the tourists.

I've often wondered why these people are allowed to work.

Many ethnic Indians have been here for a large number of generations. If one past relative is a Thai, then the rest of the lineage will have been eligible for Thai ID, passport and will be officially Thai. They just get called 'Khaek' - 'Guest' in Thai, as they will never be socially accepted as Thai.

No, Khaek for Indians and other south asian nationals doesn't mean the same as for guests, it's a racist expression and means dark/dirty/smelling, it's quiet derogative and should'nt be used by mass media. Compared to this the word Farang is harmless.

Thai people dislike dark skin, which they consider ugly or even filthy. What they all seem to forget is that that Buddha was born in India and thus had dark skin. See the racist pic below taken from Thai school book!

11374466_1693107857571447_2143268969_n.j

The Buddha was born in Nepal and died in India, I stand corrected. Nevertheless, if he were visiting Thailand today he would be refererred to as Kaek, a derogatory (racist) term for people from South Asia and Middle East.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

Farang. Kaek. Only "Generation Snowflake", those of an easily offended nature, seem to care so much. But those same easily offended, highly indignant snow-flake types never say a word about the racism ingrained in the Japanese or Korean cultures. Ever wonder why those cultures get 'a pass', and are virtually never taken to task for their institutionalize racism? Do you see Japan or Korea chastised on the world stage for not accepting their fair share of 'migrants?' And how about the institutionalize segregation and denigration of different Indian castes? Outlawed? Yeah right. Yet Thailand is now coming into the bomb sights of the PC Snow-flakes. Something to think about. dry.png

One the flip side, how about the stereotype of rich farangs that are pretty much only good for the money you can milk from them, after which they become "The Bad Guys" and need to leave. As a farang, I don't give a rip about the stereotype. Why? I know who I am. I don't need to be validated by anyone. I'm not offended by the word 'farang'. In a world where an elite class with an agenda is attempting to push egalitarianism and ethnic homogeneity onto sovereign states with a national identity, I'll take the bad with the good, and hope that Thailand pushes back.

If you chose to come here, then adapt.

Edited by connda

There's no racism in Thailand. It's their country and they can do and say what they like. Well, this is according to many 'farangs' who say this 'cos they wish their countries were the same.

With the Brexit and Donald Trump, your dreams may become a reality. For the rest of us, it's a sad reminder of how primitive we still are.

What has Brexit got to do with racism?

I have witnessed these nut selling Indians using this as a cover for loaning money to the working girls. They arrive simultaneously with the sexy dress / bra's and knicker sellers. The girls borrow and they collect 10% on each visit. I'm not saying that's what they all do but it's common knowledge with the girls they can take a small loan from them. Many girls get in too deep.

As for using the word Kaek been racist it is simply a word used to describe the approximate origin of a person no different than farang. The Thai's don't mean any malice. We talk about Thai's on here and use that as a description of people from Thailand.

If we ask the person where they are from we can directly say French, African, Indian but if we are asked to describe where they are from without knowing how should we describe them? Dark brownish,

"If we ask the person where they are from we can directly say French, African, Indian but if we are asked to describe where they are from without knowing how should we describe them? Dark brownish"

So the French people are "dark brownish"tongue.png like African and Indian? Thanks for informing us, Sometimes I'm ashamed with my ignorance thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tchooptip

When Thais call out Trump for racism, you have to laugh. Besides the everyday stuff like that found in this article's headline and the way foreigners are generally treated, Thai law itself says it all. How convenient it is for Thais to ignore their own nation and its racism and get upset about Trump. I guess they get upset because they know foreign leaders who are racist take away the opportunities of other racist like themselves or something like that.

I'm from India and all low life bottom feeders from India have gone to Thailand and are in the process of destroying that place as well. They are now into notorious loan sharking business. Indians were in Thailand for generations but the new breed is purely greedy and on a short cut desperate mode to success.

They were under the radar for quite a long time but now, seeing the authorities don't do much to Indians, truck loads have come in and India is 1.2 Billion, If Thailand would not take care of its borders ...We can literally drown Thailand with Indians. thumbsup.gif

The article is right, we are crazy about Thailand....its affordable, cheap sex, great food, great nightlife, great weather, everything Indian Plus Sex is what every Indian dreams of.clap2.gifclap2.gif

Thank God. Thai's are not stupid and brainwashed as western countries, who allow trash from all corners of the world in the name of "Human Rights" "Compassion" etc etc Cliche's and then get Bombed out of existence gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Well Done Thailand...Salute from an Indian who plays by the rules

Edited by starchild5

I'm from India and all low life bottom feeders from India have gone to Thailand and are in the process of destroying that place as well. They are now into notorious loan sharking business. Indians were in Thailand for generations but the new breed is purely greedy and on a short cut desperate mode to success.

They were under the radar for quite a long time but now, seeing the authorities don't do much to Indians, truck loads have come in and India is 1.2 Billion, If Thailand would not take care of its borders ...We can literally drown Thailand with Indians. thumbsup.gif

The article is right, we are crazy about Thailand....its affordable, cheap sex, great food, great nightlife, great weather, everything Indian Plus Sex is what every Indian dreams of.clap2.gifclap2.gif

Thank God. Thai's are not stupid and brainwashed as western countries, who allow trash from all corners of the world in the name of "Human Rights" "Compassion" etc etc Cliche's and then get Bombed out of existence gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Well Done Thailand...Salute from an Indian who plays by the rules

Your type of caste thinking is exactly why India is a poor and struggling country. You should be ashamed of yourself

To be perfectly honest-Thais have an aversion to anyone not Thai as a group. We are all stereotyped as a people and the Thais categorize us by their language- Farang: Kaek: Jek: Yipoon; Issan etc. The Thai people feel that their culture is superior to all other cultures and their laws reflect that. Some of us see it as racist- others do not. I have been here a long time- I can remember nut sellers from 50 years ago-they were always from the sub continent- either Indian or Bangladeshi. The terms to describe people are generally very benign- they just point out that the people referred to are not Thai. They become more charged when used in the context of other descriptive words which are derogatory.

I have found that most Thais live and let live- they do not go out of their way to confront anyone. They judge an individual based upon their personal dealings with that person and how that person acts in the relationship. Regarding farangs- at one time all farangs were considered highly educated, with superior manners, and held in the highest respect. Due to continuing interaction and many different types of farang coming to Thailand- acting out, seen drunk, and cavorting in an immoral way- Thais have lost respect for us. We can gain it back by speaking to Thai people politely; not raising our voices; respecting Thai customs; and assimilating into Thai culture. You will never be fully accepted as a Thai but you will be treated well. You either adapt or you don't and feel miserable.

Of course it's a racist slur word.

Of course Thai people have a VERY LOW social awareness of how and why such things could even be seen as offensive.

It's interesting to me how similar the words Kaek and Kike are (a slur word for Jews).

Jews have often been considered "Oriental" in western countries ... so is there some kind of similar linguistic origin?

The latest example of the Western ideology of political correctness trying to be imposed on Thai culture.

Bangkok Coconuts s a truly awful blog whose #1 goal is to get paid to promote overpriced restaurants. I wouldn't take anything seriously written by one of their inexperienced bloggers.

The latest example of the Western ideology of political correctness trying to be imposed on Thai culture.

Bangkok Coconuts s a truly awful blog whose #1 goal is to get paid to promote overpriced restaurants. I wouldn't take anything seriously written by one of their inexperienced bloggers.

I'm not a big fan of Coconuts, but you're wrong. Nobody is trying to impose anything on Thai culture. Those who know anything about that know that's a silly enterprise. Thai culture will be Thai culture, and any change that may ever happen will be from the Thais. Commenting about stuff to an English speaking audience is just that, commenting about stuff. It isn't an attempt to impose.

Edited by Jingthing

Pretty bad dreams at that. can't say I'm nearly an expert on Thailand, but I know all there is to know about racism in my country, and near as I can tell I've heard nothing of Thai police gunning down innocent young dark skinned Thais, assaulting drivers for traffic violations, nor have I heard of snipers taking out Thai cops in retaliation. Haven't heard of any white supremacy factions or neo NAZIs in Thailand. True racism is ugly, bloody, and hateful. I find it nauseating. From what I've gathered over the past 3 years I would say there are stereotypes and prejudices in Thailand based on social classes but it doesn't compare to the horrible disease of racism which has been a cancer on American society since the days of slavery. I have heard from a lot of Thais that they dislike the Chinese because of the bad behavior of a lot of Chinese tourists, but I think that is directed only at the tourists.

Well, you may have noticed that Thailand and USA are very different. USA is a multicultural society and Thailand's is homogeneous.

Thailand conditions its populace to remain calm and never question anything, and the USA educates there to......well, I'm not quite sure, but it's definitely not the same as Thailand's.

Thailand has laws so it stays homogeneous. Thailand doesn't need to commit racist assaults as it has laws to prevent 'non-looking Thais' from having any form of power. USA has laws against that, and I guess that's what pisses so many people off. That feeling of wanting to be unique. That's primitive.

The word Farang mean foreigner I dont have any big problem with it I guess if you have inferiority complex it might upset you as regards Kaeks the Thai people are right these people are like cancer they creep into your society one by one I should know we have a market near where I live it was all locals and people from surrounding counties then one Indian appeared then another then another now the whole place is full of them this is how they infiltrate our society look at Luton now for instance their lord mayor is muslim now people are not allowed to say Happy Christmas and have to abide my other muslim customs. The Thais are right nip it in the bud get them out before it gets out of their control

Thai people dislike dark skin, which they consider ugly or even filthy. What they all seem to forget is that that Buddha was born in India and thus had dark skin. See the racist pic below taken from Thai school book!

11374466_1693107857571447_2143268969_n.j

The Buddha was born in Nepal and died in India, I stand corrected. Nevertheless, if he were visiting Thailand today he would be refererred to as Kaek, a derogatory (racist) term for people from South Asia and Middle East.

The Buddha was born in India. Now it is in Nepal.

I have witnessed these nut selling Indians using this as a cover for loaning money to the working girls. They arrive simultaneously with the sexy dress / bra's and knicker sellers. The girls borrow and they collect 10% on each visit. I'm not saying that's what they all do but it's common knowledge with the girls they can take a small loan from them. Many girls get in too deep.

As for using the word Kaek been racist it is simply a word used to describe the approximate origin of a person no different than farang. The Thai's don't mean any malice. We talk about Thai's on here and use that as a description of people from Thailand.

If we ask the person where they are from we can directly say French, African, Indian but if we are asked to describe where they are from without knowing how should we describe them? Dark brownish,

Lol, you obviously don't speak Thai.

You'll be saying , "jek", for a Chinese is not racist next.

แขก (classifier: คน)

Definition: guest, invitee, visitor, Middle Easterner, Indian

Seems to me, irregardless of the intentions of the speaker or it's more common usage, the word is perfectly reasonable, much like ฝรั่ง (Farang)

I have limited exposure to those who might use the word regularly in conversation, so I cannot speak to it's more common usage/intention.

"jek"; since I am not sure of the precise Thai word you are referencing, I am assuming แจก, and that has no meaning even related to a person, hence seems more like slang and more likely to have specific (slur) intention.

The word Farang mean foreigner I dont have any big problem with it I guess if you have inferiority complex it might upset you as regards Kaeks the Thai people are right these people are like cancer they creep into your society one by one I should know we have a market near where I live it was all locals and people from surrounding counties then one Indian appeared then another then another now the whole place is full of them this is how they infiltrate our society look at Luton now for instance their lord mayor is muslim now people are not allowed to say Happy Christmas and have to abide my other muslim customs. The Thais are right nip it in the bud get them out before it gets out of their control

The word farang has become a racial term.

Try living here and understanding the language fluently before offering words of advice, as a tourist, on the Thai language.

Of course it's a racist slur word.

Of course Thai people have a VERY LOW social awareness of how and why such things could even be seen as offensive.

It's interesting to me how similar the words Kaek and Kike are (a slur word for Jews).

Jews have often been considered "Oriental" in western countries ... so is there some kind of similar linguistic origin?

No.You are just feel paranoid and persecuted.