How does one get around by public transport in Chiang Mai? Baffled!

kidizen

I have seen many blog posts on the topic but have not found a satisfactory answer. I'm of course new to Chiang Mai, currently renting a car for the month but am not planning on continuing to do so as it's too expensive and I won't need to be getting around everyday. I know most people get around on motorbikes and scooters. I've decided that that's not a viable option for me either, as I will have a young kid as a passenger and I have no experience riding a motorbike. I have seriously considered that option but having driven around in Chiang Mai for a couple of weeks now, I don't want to ride a scooter on the ring road or up the windy mountain roads with a passenger. My preferred option would be Grab Taxi or Uber, or buses. I know there are songthaews and tuk tuks. I don't like tuks tuks, they are overpriced and uncomfortable and I don't like having to haggle with tuk tuk drivers.

What I'm baffled about:

1. For songthaews, what if I want to go somewhere off the beaten track and don't want to charter the songthaew? What if you want to go a long way on the ring road like from Maya to the Promenada Mall? Can you hop on a songthaew that will take you all the way there? Can someone demystify the songthaew? Do they have certain fixed routes in town? Fixed fares? Do they go around the ring road?

2. I've heard of the public bus in Chiang Mai, and have even seen the nice looking new bus stops, has it been scrapped and is no longer operational?

3. What is the current state of GrabTaxi and Uber in Chiang Mai, are they still operational? I haven't seen much evidence of it though my GrabTaxi app seems to be working.

4. Can you call taxis if you don't speak Thai? Is there a reliable radio taxi service?

Thanks in advance.

The Songthaews tend to drive on a route - - the price is fixed if you join in the trip with others. If you want to go somewhere off their route, then you need to negotiate a fare as with a taxi... try and be realistic. A shared ride for 20 baht is not the same as door to door service and deserves a higher price.

Some people claim they just get in... I will always tell them where I am going [because who the heck knows what their route might be] and confirm the price. So, you might want to learn at least a little Thai so as to help with communication.

I have found most of them to be pretty fair. I would suggest finding one you like and getting a phone number and maybe using them as a personal service, or anyone with a car. Ask around, you will find someone reliable...

good luck.

The nest areas to live without a car would be Huay Kaew, SuThep, or (with a kid),,,Hang Fond Rd,. Live near the jud's school....pay a premium to live in a good location...traffic is a beast. How often do you need to go to Prom? Once a year is plenty for me,,,I paid 150 thb in the middle of the night,,,and got back for 50 thb.

Thanks for chipping in. I mentioned the Promenada as that's where the Immigration Office is. I drove there yesterday and took care of business while I have the car. I have made that decision already to live in a very convenient location where my daily needs are within an easy walking distance. Nonetheless, I was just curious to see how one gets around in this town without a car or bike, and not wanting to feel too confined in my own neighborhood (Huay Kaew/Nimman) . I was particularly interested in hearing people's experience using GrabTaxi and Uber in Chiang Mai, if it's an option at all.

The Songthaews tend to drive on a route - - the price is fixed if you join in the trip with others. If you want to go somewhere off their route, then you need to negotiate a fare as with a taxi... try and be realistic. A shared ride for 20 baht is not the same as door to door service and deserves a higher price.

Some people claim they just get in... I will always tell them where I am going [because who the heck knows what their route might be] and confirm the price. So, you might want to learn at least a little Thai so as to help with communication.

I have found most of them to be pretty fair. I would suggest finding one you like and getting a phone number and maybe using them as a personal service, or anyone with a car. Ask around, you will find someone reliable...

good luck.

That's good sound advice about the songthaews in Chiang Mai.

Especially the part about learning some Thai to avoid misunderstandings.

Motorbikes are the most dangerous way to get around, but they are also the cheapest and fastest.

To each his own.

Grab Taxi and Uber doesn't seem to be a viable option in this town.

As KKK said, if you want to live without transport, you should live in a central area where you can exist with tuk-tuks and songthaew transport. It's good to learn some Thai and the correct Thai pronunciation for important landmarks. Songthaew drivers seem to know the locations for every wat, hospital and gate in the Old City. They're not so good at knowing all the restaurants, shops and hotels. So, locate a wat near the place you want to go and be prepared to walk 100 meters.

Most people who live here for a while develop a deep personal relationship with a tuk-tuk driver that they slightly overpay in return for his undying loyalty and immediate response when they call. Ours was one of the first in Chiang Mai to proudly acquire one of those new long "stretch" propane red tuk tuks, probably due to our practice of over-tipping. After two years, it's still in mint condition.

As for Promenada, Central Festival and Central Airport Plaza malls -- they have free shuttle buses that serve major hotels, mostly on the east side of the city. Consult their websites, dress nicely, act a little confused and check with the hotel's front desk like you're a guest and they'll get you on the mall shuttle.

Just today, my tuk-tuk driver took me out to Immigration Promenada for an early morning where he'd obvious arisen before his normal time (so had I !) and after I took care of my business, a nice lunch at Duke's and some banking and shopping business, I took the Promenada shuttle back to the city, where I rewarded the driver for making an off-route stop at Thapae Gate with 20 baht, visited my pharmacy and then caught another 20 baht song thaew back to my Huey Kaew Rd. condo.

The nest areas to live without a car would be Huay Kaew, SuThep, or (with a kid),,,Hang Fond Rd,. Live near the jud's school....pay a premium to live in a good location...traffic is a beast. How often do you need to go to Prom? Once a year is plenty for me,,,I paid 150 thb in the middle of the night,,,and got back for 50 thb.

Yikes!

I thought that I had a pretty good handle on the public transport system in and around Chiang Mai, but now...... I'm thoroughly confused!

Where are these "nest areas" that you speak of?

Google maps comes up blank when I search for "Hang Fond Rd."

If I wanted to take your advice, and relocate in order to be near "the jud's school"..... where would I be relocating to, exactly?

Thanks in advance,

LT

I think KKK was into those three bottles for 149 baht and typing on a small mobile device when he wrote that post. But, I understood it. Clearly a "nest area" is where many others close to make their homes, like Nimmanheiman Rd. (I was going to simply say "Nimman", but maybe that's too much insider slang) Suthep Rd., Huey Kaew Rd. and ta-da, Hang Dong area, popular for families. And, I assumed "jud" is "kid" -- the words are close to each other on a keyboard.

Find a tuk tuk driver who speaks English, and you feels comfortable with. Ask if he will get calls to get you and brings you everywhere, and get its phone number. I do not live in Chiang Mai, but go there often, and even with my own car, I prefer do not drive there. My tuk tuk driver phone is 088-4086797 Lung Nuat. Always very reliable. For regular clients, tuk tuk drives charge normal rates, do not need to bargain.

My advice: Do not rent car or motorbike. If you need it be sure you have FULL insurance, and you have Thai driver license and Health Insurance by a good Thai company like AIA.

In big cities is a lot safer and cheaper to use tuk tuk and taxis. In Bangkok only public transportation and sky train.

Life in Thailand can be wonderful...until you got into an accident.

There are pink fronted buses that do the city to airport run for a flat 20 Baht fee, there are stops about on the east side of the city that I have seen.

I will take a ride and give a report when I get a free day, at the bus stops there are maps but unfortunately they are back to front and upside down, very hard to understand.

There is a reliable and punctual taxi call center the operators of which speak and understand English.

The number is: 0894353003

I have used them a number of times, even at horribly early times in the morning. Always there on time.

//edit --

Let me add this to the OP. If you are living here, you need your own transportation. People who live here and rely on the limited public transport here are not getting the full experience, regardless of how they defend their positions.

Buy a used car. You can find a decent one for US$2,000 to 5,000. It will solve all your issues and give you the freedom to go where you want, when you want without any middleman. If you want to pop up to Pai, or Mae Hong Son, you can. Just like that. Want a day trip to see the cave at Chiang Dao and buy some neat flower bulbs? Off you go.

The only people who don't have their own transport in a city where that is possible (unlike Hong Kong, for example) are invalids.

Edited by Trujillo

Where are these "nest areas" that you speak of?

Google maps comes up blank when I search for "Hang Fond Rd."

I wondered too, but looking at it in context I think he meant best. And it's Hang Dong Road. Either he was in a hurry, or Nancy hit the nail on the head with the grog and small keyboard.

I know dozens of people who live here without their own transportation and manage to have the "full experience". Want to go to Pai or Mae Hong Song? It's a lovely flight and W-A-Y better than negotiating all those curves, which we've done a couple times with friends. (We vowed never again will we drive to MHS after the last trip. Flying is definitely the way to go.) Want to see the caves at Chiang Dao? Rent a car or hire a car and driver who will also act as a local guide.

Sure, a car comes in handy if you live out-of-town and/or have a family, but as KKK said, if you live in the right part of town, you simply don't need one. You may pay a little more rent to live in what he calls a "nest area", but you'll more than make up for it in the time and money you spend in transportation.

There is a reliable and punctual taxi call center the operators of which speak and understand English.

The number is: 0894353003

I have used them a number of times, even at horribly early times in the morning. Always there on time.

//edit --

Let me add this to the OP. If you are living here, you need your own transportation. People who live here and rely on the limited public transport here are not getting the full experience, regardless of how they defend their positions.

Buy a used car. You can find a decent one for US$2,000 to 5,000. It will solve all your issues and give you the freedom to go where you want, when you want without any middleman. If you want to pop up to Pai, or Mae Hong Son, you can. Just like that. Want a day trip to see the cave at Chiang Dao and buy some neat flower bulbs? Off you go.

The only people who don't have their own transport in a city where that is possible (unlike Hong Kong, for example) are invalids.

Thanks for sharing the taxi call center number Trujillo. That's really useful!

I'm asking the question to explore options and poll people's actual experience as I haven't yet figured out if Grab/Uber have been and gone and what the brand new looking bus stops are for. There's one on Huay Kaew opposite Maya for example.

I totally agree with you about having your own transport to have the freedom to get around when you want "for the full experience". I've already figured that one out and have found a "best of both worlds" solution. I choose to live in one of the most busy and bustling areas in town so have no need for my own transport to get around. Songthaews and tuk tuks are plentiful here if I need to go anywhere in town. I have also found an excellent car rental company that I'm currently using and plan on using in the future for the occasional need. I'm here in Chiang Mai for a few months and haven't made the decision to stay here longer than that. If I were to then buying a car would be the way to go. And we'll be making a trip to Chiang Dao next week while I still have the rental car.

IMHO your best option is to buy a secondhand Vios or Corolla. The engines are virtually bulletproof and just about every mechanic in Thailand knows how to service them. You can get a good one for 350 - 400K baht.

Getting around in the city itself is much easier on a scooter. Most of the traffic is low speed, so provided the op learns to drive defensively he should be OK. I'm 73, have driven a scooter for 8 years with one minor spill on gravel.

As pointed out by other posters, songthaews tend to follow fixed routes. IMO one is better off taking a taxi, tuk-tuks are not much less in price for a lot less comfort and more risk.

We've found songtaew to be very good with the exception being the gang at Pang Suan Kaew - Tarad Kaew. They're very pushy, will double or triple the price for say the route to Airport Plaza and generally put you off.

We go onto the kerb of Huay Kaew Rd and hail one or take one sitting there waiting... Don't know if there are other problem sites but we haven't struck it yet.

Learning basic Thai is a must for getting around.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

The "bus stops" along Huey Kaew and other places are convenient places to sit and take a rest while walking between Kaew Suan Kaew and Maya Mall -- usually that's quicker than trying to drive between those malls. Also, they serve to display advertising which seems to be regularly updated. Doesn't seem to be any bus service along Huey Kaew Rd.

New Chiangmai Travel appear to be running a bus route ,number 10,from the airport out to Kwun Vieng on the 121 ring road. Seen a few bus stops and people boarding from there in to town.

May be someone with influence resurrecting the old routes as I believe the local mafia were not happy before.

Anybody seeing any more of the buses,routes?

My 80+ year old parents drive better than 90% of the locals, here, and they drive a little scary. I suppose car ownership helps some feel like they've overcome other "deficiencies," so that is up to them. There is no nightlife outside of the city, and it's really not wise to drink and drive period, so that limits car ownership usefulness. There are several million acres of jungle behind CMU, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on the great outdoors, either. The VIP Green Bus is the safest way to travel regionally, and of course flying almost anywhere else...and you probably wouldn't even use your car to go to the airport. As far as having a personal tuk-tuk number....they are very fair weather friends....it's better just to walk out to the main road. Been in a hundred BKK Hotels and seen people waiting on the taxi cab that the hotel called for them for 30+ minutes...if they had just walked outside the door; they could have already been to their destination.

The people living in the various dog safaris do have more justification for having a car, but it just ends up costing more to live in an inconvenient area, than it would to live where the places are, that they need to get to,in the first place. IMO, it isn't the carless who aren't getting "the full Thailand experience;" it is those living in cookie cutter bedroom communities on the far-flung outskirts of town. Woof-Woof!

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

My 80+ year old parents drive better than 90% of the locals, here, and they drive a little scary. I suppose car ownership helps some feel like they've overcome other "deficiencies," so that is up to them. There is no nightlife outside of the city, and it's really not wise to drink and drive period, so that limits car ownership usefulness. There are several million acres of jungle behind CMU, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on the great outdoors, either. The VIP Green Bus is the safest way to travel regionally, and of course flying almost anywhere else...and you probably wouldn't even use your car to go to the airport. As far as having a personal tuk-tuk number....they are very fair weather friends....it's better just to walk out to the main road. Been in a hundred BKK Hotels and seen people waiting on the taxi cab that the hotel called for them for 30+ minutes...if they had just walked outside the door; they could have already been to their destination.

The people living in the various dog safaris do have more justification for having a car, but it just ends up costing more to live in an inconvenient area, than it would to live where the places are, that they need to get to,in the first place. IMO, it isn't the carless who aren't getting "the full Thailand experience;" it is those living in cookie cutter bedroom communities on the far-flung outskirts of town. Woof-Woof!

Safety of the Green Bus is very much dependent on the driver you get. Most are sensible; however, there is a minority of complete ratbags. In addition, the maintenance standards or fitness for use standards vary with the class. The "VIP" seems to have much better shock absorbers than the "X" class, and that's reflected in the price of the ticket.

I don't use taxis in Chiang Mai very often; however, I've found they turn up on time, are clean, and stick to the agreed price. Bangkok is an entirely different city

w.r.to taxis, and everything else for that matter.