The five stages of culture shock for foreigners in Thailand

snoop1130

The five stages of culture shock for foreigners in Thailand
By Laurel Tuohy

post-249866-0-35641700-1469796406_thumb.

At a recent installment of Random Thainess, an event where speakers talk about their experiences with Thai life and culture, Kasetsart University Professor Rachawit Photiyarach, broke down the five stages of culture shock in Thailand for foreigners.

From “Thai people are the kindest in the world,” to “Why is every Thai trying to rip me off?!” most foreigners have lived through all of these stages during their time in Thailand.

Professor Rachawit, a lecturer on intercultural communications, based his talk on ideas from intercultural scholar Peter Adler.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/29/five-stages-culture-shock-foreigners-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-29

Already rolling along on another thread......

Agreed - fun article.....

Already? Hmmm, I don't think so since you started your thread about half an hour AFTER this one.

Had more valid responses - so far here we're the only two & no actual discussion of the topic....

If I'd noticed this one I wouldn't have offered the other.....Satisfied?

It's funny because a lot of Thais don't even know or want to know about the bargirl part of their culture. Sounds like some denial in this. I think the guys are on the barstools because they like the wine, women and song. A lot of Thai men also like the same. Does dating have to be a part of this story at all? The author seems to think that 'western men' hooking up with Thais is a part of cultural integration. It may be what happens but not in every country. But if the bargirls or women weren't there, would there still be as much interest in Thailand? How do western women fit into this? Are they as sex-crazed? whistling.gif

but, but they are trying to rip me off! laugh.png

it is not just people trying to live in Thailand. i think it natural that people of similar culture/country congregate/stick together in another country. In Sydney for example there are areas known to be Italian or Chinese or Vietnamese or more recently Thai. Even towns in Australia where people from a small area of another country have come. Some don't assimilate and others do, but as the article says "The more differences the better – it’s boring if everyone is the same”.

When I first came here I thought the Thais were nice people, but after 36 years I am wondering why Darwin,s search never led him straight to this place. There may very well be decent people here but they keep themselves well hidden, and what I first thought to be "Thai Culture" turned out to be lack of it :( The main problem is the lack of justice; the high class know they are above it and the lower classes know that they need not fear it :(

This subject is a waste of space as it applies to anyone moving to live in any country.

It also depends on the type of person you are from the Bar Stool sots who start as soon as the sun rises

to guys who enjoy the naughty but nice side sometimes but otherwise lead a normal life like back at home.

It isn't of course just the people that come here from different cultures as you have to remember that in any country the locals too come in all different types.

Thailand is no different in being different to anywhere else.

I thought it was a great article and the first three 'steps' sum up quite accurately my experience. I certainly went from thinking all Thais were incredibly kind, happy people to realising the smiles shouldn't be taken at face value and also thinking they were all trying to 'rip me off' biggrin.png . Edit - must add, once we get over stage two, we generally realise that they're not 'all' trying to rip us off - others are kind, caring and go out of their way to help.

Step four is largely accurate too, except I suspect few of us think we "understand" it - we just accept it, taking the good with the bad.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Interesting article, pretty accurate too.

Not sure where I am, bouncing between 4 and 5 I guess.

Occasionally dropping down to 3 but then I leave the Pattaya nightlife and go back home to Jomtien and things are normal again.

I'm stuck in stage four - "This is the stage when foreigners finally begin to accept the cultural differences between their old home and their adopted home. They finally begin to feel at peace and, while they might not agree with everything happening around them, they feel they can .... accept it."

Interesting and quite factual. It can

Apply to any expat in any country, not

Only Thailand.

Not really - Asian countries have an entirely different 'mind set' to Western countries.

Yes, there are small differences in attitudes amongst Western countries - but the 'generals' are there. The 'mind set' is completely different in Thailand.

Hmmmm....

Not so easy to move into the happy,blissful state of stage 5 when your house has almost burnt down -along with the family in it-due to an utterly incompetent supposed electrician "But he's my friend!" or almost been killed by a Lao Khao swilling bus/truck/car driver and definitely not easy to be philosophical when you are invited to yet another protracted funeral in this village for someone killed on their motor scooter.

A tenth of the money they spend on these funerals could easily equip an entire Issan family with good helmets,not that they would ever use them because they might muss up their hair as well as destroying their very cool "Easy Rider" image.

...and no,not all Asian countries are they same and not all of them display the same feckless disregard for human life-their own as much as anyone else's.

Edited by Odysseus123
grammar