Thai embassy in Mozambique to open in September

webfact

Thai embassy in Mozambique to open in September

mo.jpg

MAPUTO, 31 July 2016 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Embassy in Maputo, Mozambique, will begin operations to serve Thai nationals residing in Mozambique from September 2016 onwards, says MFA official. 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Department of Information Deputy Director-General Russ Jalichandra has revealed the Royal Thai Embassy in Maputo, Mozambique will be providing full services to Thai nationals in Mozambique from September 2016 onwards. 

As he is expected to work as the first Thai ambassador to Mozambique, the director-general's goal is to develop trade and investment between the two nations in the fields of energy, fisheries, and tourism, as private companies from Thailand are increasingly showing interest of investing in Mozambique. 

Thailand will be holding its first ever trade show in Mozambique this August as part of the biggest and oldest trade show in Southern Africa. Interested Thai companies are encouraged to attend this trade show by contacting the MFA’s Department of South Asian, Middle East and African Affairs.

-- NNT 2016-08-01

It's only right. After all there appears to be a thriving Mozambique community on the steps of the 7/11 adjacent to the Miami Hotel at the entrance to Sukhumvit Soi 13!

I'm not quite sure what their primary economic activity is - something to do with the informal medicinal sector I rather fancy. I wander if the new embassy will have the appropriate attache to deal with such business?

Edited by JAG

I just wonder who asked who :w00t:

And what the hell would those 2 countries can exchange with eachother?!

-Tourism??? Mozambique haven't got that many to see and think the peoples aren't that wealthy to travel in other countries. -Fisheries ????? Thailand not even alows Vietnamese fishingboats in their waters so now the boats from Mozambique can come ? Or Thailand will go fishing there or import their fish ?

Now i just read that peace talks in Mozambique went wrong  today. So probably a new war will come there soon. Maybe Thailand will help the refugees who run out for safety. DUUUH

I wonder if this move might have been part of a quid pro-quo for Mozambique's support for Thailand's recent UN Security Council vote that they thankfully lost. 

The only Thais I have met in Africa were there for gemstone trading - and given Madagascar lies opposite Mozambique, this might have something to do with it?

10 hours ago, tomyumchai said:

I also have to wonder,

À. How stupid/ desparate someone was to end up there as a resident,

B. Who they pissed off to be posted there as embassy staff.

For embassy staff it would have to be considered a hardship post - just like any other country in Sub-Saharan Africa.