New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

Laptop top access for me. The 4 icons for Facebook, Twitter, etc are mixed up with the sign-up/log-in links and any newly registered  member might not easily find the log-in link. I think the Sign-up link can be hidden by those white discs sometimes also, although not the case in the screen shot captured below after logging out and logging back in. Firefox browser.

Apologies if this has already been raised.image.png.7aff317649817e59da91049e5ce9b673.png

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jackspade said:

@Our Man in the Tropics

UI studies have proven time and again that infinite scrolling is a bad idea.

UI studies have also shown fonts with wide letter-spacing and glyphs (like this one) are terrible for readability of large bodies of text, which I think is a more pressing issue.

UI = ?

Interesting points u inform of ;

But, what exact "glyphs" are u referring to ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Returning to my proposal that 'thread be available -- through "elective" function / tool -- as 1 continuous stream' ;

This would be availed of by user when they are in scholarly mode.

Think ;

Were Wikipedia articles set out in defined pages instead of present continuous stream, it would be a real pain for researcher.

Many a Thaivisa.com thread is a marvelous source of information in today's world ;

Thailand is blessed with probably the smartest collection of Europe-originally-descendants than any other non-European settled country in the world.

There are many many learned & naturally clever Falangs in Thailand ;

And, many of them contributing to Thaivisa.com.

Thus, many a Thaivisa.com thread is a treasure trove.

A bit of a circuitous passage perhaps, but necessary ;

"All hail the great contributions on Thaivisa.com !" ????

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

UI = ?

Interesting points u inform of ;

But, what exact "glyphs" are u referring to ?

UI = User Interface.

Glyphs = text characters.

Were Wikipedia articles set out in defined pages instead of present continuous stream, it would be a real pain for researcher.

I see your point, perhaps it would be nice to have an infinite scrolling feature if desired. I personally don't want to be forced to use it, though.

Thailand is blessed with probably the smartest collection of Europe-originally-descendants than any other non-European settled country in the world.

There are many many learned & naturally clever Falangs in Thailand ;

Some of the smartest, yes, and also some of the stupidest, I think we can all agree.

Edited by jackspade
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, SantiSuk said:

Laptop top access for me. The 4 icons for Facebook, Twitter, etc are mixed up with the sign-up/log-in links and any newly registered  member might not easily find the log-in link. I think the Sign-up link can be hidden by those white discs sometimes also, although not the case in the screen shot captured below after logging out and logging back in. Firefox browser.

Apologies if this has already been raised.image.png.7aff317649817e59da91049e5ce9b673.png

Same here. Notifications, Messages and My Profile icons are overlaid on the Twitter etc buttons, rendering the overlaid buttons unusable.

Also, Blue and Green colour scheme - what a hideous combination. New design must have been copied from a golf shirt...????

• Like 2

You do realize all the constant "upgrading" is just clickbait to get us all bloat the viewer numbers.

Advertisers pay for the running of the site. This depends on the number of visitors to the site. An advertiser would not be interested in paying for an ad on a site with low or dwindling viewer numbers.

The owners realize this and naturally come to the conclusion that more clicks = more advertising revenue, and what better way to bloat the viewing numbers than to do a totally unnecessary "upgrade" and get the whole site buzzing with indignant complaining members all madly clicking away.  

This is also why no one can leave the site. There must be loads of old members who have died or moved away or just given up that never post but are still on the books, again bloating the numbers for the befit of advertisers.

Of course the potential advertisers are not told and don't realize that the active number of members is actually less than those on the books and the high number of daily "clicks" is mainly from unhappy members.

I would also not be surprise that in between these unnecessary "upgrades" when "clicks" are low some of the owners posing as forum members slip in a few controversial posts that get the outrageous indignant real members clicking away like crazy and give a temporary boost to the figures.  (Allegedly) 

This is of course normal local thinking and may work in the sort term, but over time the advertisers will realize they are not getting expected returns and withdraw their ads.

At this rate I don't see this site lasting more than a couple of years, if that.

:sad:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

The owners realize this and naturally come to the conclusion that more clicks = more advertising revenue, and what better way to bloat the viewing numbers than to do a totally unnecessary "upgrade" and get the whole site buzzing with indignant complaining members all madly clicking away.  

This is also why no one can leave the site. There must be loads of old members who have died or moved away or just given up that never post but are still on the books, again bloating the numbers for the befit of advertisers.

I don't think there's enough "complaining" about the new design to put a dent in ad clicks—complaining about the design accounts for but a mere fraction of the posts here.

And why would advertisers care how many members are active? All they care about is actual clicks. They don't ever see the member database.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackspade said:

I don't think there's enough "complaining" about the new design to put a dent in ad clicks—complaining about the design accounts for but a mere fraction of the posts here.

And why would advertisers care how many members are active? All they care about is actual clicks. They don't ever see the member database.

The new stuff is taxing ol' Trans eyes, so am sure it is a pain for many of our older active forum posters.

That daft ad telling us about property at the page top, which I reckon few of us are interested in, seems to be ballsing things up as my "all activity" button has gone or covered up. ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Actually, I think the opposite would be true. The majority of people would not complain, if a site implemented a badly conceived upgrade, they would just visit the site less or not at all.

Personally, I think that this upgrade is getting there, an overall positive. If poster text was improved, i.e. went back to the original font and style, I would be very happy with the upgrade. Pages appear to load faster, to me (apart from yesterdays glitch).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

The new stuff is taxing ol' Trans eyes, so am sure it is a pain for many of our older active forum posters.

That daft ad telling us about property at the page top, which I reckon few of us are interested in, seems to be ballsing things up as my "all activity" button has gone or covered up. ????

I agree with you. I am personally OK with the new design, BUT THE FONT IS TERRIBLE. And I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, but you can't have everything.

Edited by jackspade

I've seen something that has cropped up recently.

When I am looking at a thread, or composing a post, and someone else replies there is a pop-up box that appears at the bottom of the screen saying "xxxxx" has replied and then there is a link to go to the reply. 

If more than one person has responded, the message will change to something like "There are xx posts and then ask if you want to go to the first post or (I forget the second option).

The problem is, the text for those links is nearly invisible ! The only way to see it is to click-drag and highlight the text and then click on whichever option.

Would be nice if the text was changed to a light blue or whatever colour "links" usually appear in so that it is readily visible when that text box pops up.

Have a great day,

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Err?? let me guess

Why You So Indignant .. What's Your Game?

I was trying to say that the upgrade seems to be complete. No more improvements.

Image result for wysiwyg

Obviously lost on a Gooner.

7 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Looks alright to me.

Are you looking at it on a phone ?

No , he is looking at his laptop and WIndows.  I have the same thing in my Chrome browser.  

The Notification icon is on top of the Facebook button.  This is what I have to live with every day . 

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

Are you using computer (with Chrome) at about 125% enlargement - if you enlarge the display top right side is as displayed above in post 1671.

Edit:  Sorry was in reply to Ron19 post - took me too long to get posted.

Edited by lopburi3

57 minutes ago, balo said:

No , he is looking at his laptop and WIndows.  I have the same thing in my Chrome browser.  

The Notification icon is on top of the Facebook button.  This is what I have to live with every day . 

Capture.jpg

I'm also using Chrome on a Laptop with Windows10 and it appears like this.

What resolution is he using ? I'm using 1366x768.

Top Right 2.JPG

23 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Top Right 2.JPG

Sorry, I have just checked with a friend and he has the same problem as balo and others.

1 hour ago, Ron19 said:

Top Right 2.JPG

I have just checked my resolution, it is the same as yours but I still have the problem, question for you, do you log off TV or just close the tab when finished ? I rarely log off does/would that make a difference ?

Edited by Golden Triangle