Farang child not allowed to play for school team

This is a bit off topic and I apologize, but I've seen a couple references to Trump being a racist; I keep hearing that he's a racist but I haven't seen anything he's said that is racist. Would someone here be kind enough to point me to something he's said recently that is racist? Thanks.

My daughter(half Thai, half farang) goes to a private school here in Hua Hin. It's not an international school but it's a private school so we have to pay of course but the price is very reasonable. It's run by the Catholics and they have these schools scattered throughout Thailand.  It's a good option for people who don't want their kids going to a government school. More to the point though, there are a lot of leuk krung kids there so they are not really ostracized they way they might be at a government school. It's worth considering for people who want better than government education but can't afford international school rates. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Nothing like a 'rose coloured' bit of foolishness from you is there?  you sent your farang kids to a Thai school did you???  course you did!!! as would ALL farangs - I mean why send to an International School when there is the local Government School?  let's save a few baht eh Billd???  

a nice, fresh faced, white skinned farang girl in a Thai Government School?  just the ticket!!!  eh Billd??? 

How many farang children of yours did you send to international schools in BKK from your millionaires ivory tower in downtown Silom or Sathorn? Obviously you can afford it living there.

In reality not everyone is as rich as you nor living in a luxury penthouse with a driver to send an collect your child from the international school every day.

Many of us don't live anywhere near Bangkok and in my case I live 400 km away. So, according to you I am a skinflint unless I pay a million baht a year,  plus more if my son has to board for him to go to an international school.

As for my fresh faced, white skinned farang girl in a Thai government school you could not be more wrong or foolish. My son looks 100% Thai, just like his Mum. OTOH my neighbours daughter looks 100% farang like her Dad. She goes to the same Thai government school as my son and has no problems there at all.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you think that my son would have been allowed to play? He is dual nationality, Thai and British. He has a Thai ID card and passport and also a UK passport.

Why would you let the Thai authorities know your child has dual nationality? That would be asking for trouble.

He's Thai, that's all they need to know.

I don't see any problem with putting a child fathered by a foreigner in a Thai government school. The school near me seems as good as a UK inner city school, if not better. I don't really go along with this white supremacist rubbish ....... "my half white child is too good for Thai school", it's clearly racist nonsense. You are lowering yourself to the same level as the Thais complained about in the OP!

Edited by MissAndry

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

How many farang children of yours did you send to international schools in BKK from your millionaires ivory tower in downtown Silom or Sathorn? Obviously you can afford it living there.

In reality not everyone is as rich as you nor living in a luxury penthouse with a driver to send an collect your child from the international school every day.

Many of us don't live anywhere near Bangkok and in my case I live 400 km away. So, according to you I am a skinflint unless I pay a million baht a year,  plus more if my son has to board for him to go to an international school.

As for my fresh faced, white skinned farang girl in a Thai government school you could not be more wrong or foolish. My son looks 100% Thai, just like his Mum. OTOH my neighbours daughter looks 100% farang like her Dad. She goes to the same Thai government school as my son and has no problems there at all.

Right so they are not 'farang children' as I would assume 'farang children' meant children of two farang parents not half-and-half as you now reveal. Even so if I had kids here (no I would never be that foolish) I would send them to a decent international school  and, yes, I know some farang who have had kids with Thais and they all go to international school. BTW a 'million baht a year' is way off the mark and you are the first farang I have ever met who thinks Thai government schools are acceptable.

9 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I know some farang who have had kids with Thais and they all go to international school. BTW a 'million baht a year' is way off the mark and you are the first farang I have ever met who thinks Thai government schools are acceptable.

So you think a retired painter and decorator from Bolton should be sending his half white child to International school ........... on his UK government pension? And the point of that would be?

Edited by MissAndry

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Posters seem to be ignoring the fact that the daughter cannot be enrolled in the school. She is not a Thai citizen and can only attend classes but is not an official pupil.

I rather doubt the veracity of the OP who has no posting history.

Yes, could be, there seems to be new click bait strategies of late, ones aimed at drawing out frang outrage and this fits the bill.

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

I have none of those issues. Your school sucks. 

I'd have thought after 12 years you'd have found a way out if that BS.

Perhaps not integrating. Can you speak fluent Thai after 12 years?

I've met language teachers at my kids' schools who couldn't speak the language of the country they taught in for over a decade. Hard to believe but true. 

Last week I met a guy who said he'd been here for 18 years and spoke Thai, he didn't even know what month it was!!!!!!!!! 

54 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Right so they are not 'farang children' as I would assume 'farang children' meant children of two farang parents not half-and-half as you now reveal. Even so if I had kids here (no I would never be that foolish) I would send them to a decent international school  and, yes, I know some farang who have had kids with Thais and they all go to international school. BTW a 'million baht a year' is way off the mark and you are the first farang I have ever met who thinks Thai government schools are acceptable.

How rude, calling anyone that has children in Thailand foolish.

Actually, more than rude, racist. Please justify your statement if you dare.

Admit it, you are an English teacher or a retired plumber on a meager pension pretending to be rich.

I've lived here for over 3 decades, taken 4 kids to school everyday for 20+ years and met MANY  farang with kids.

International schoolkids are usually spoiled brats who grow up disliking their Thai roots due to hearing racial attitudes like yours from kids of the elite.  like being a normal working class guy with normal, grateful kids. 

there is another religion that also thinks we still live in the year 800

they like to live in the south 

but the thai chinese elite, not even 2-3 generations ago, overtook everything and are now holding onto their power

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

I dont see how an ex-pat child can go to a government school with out the proper documents mainly a Thai ID.

Ok i'll try to restore your eyesight even if i am no oculist....

In the moment a minor it's not simply a temporary visitor to a place, as in the case of tourists, but it's in fact residing and having a life into any particular country, not necessarily Thailand, that country must make sure that the kids get access to all their needs in an official way, no works around or greasing hands allowed, it's as easy as that, the interest of a human being should always have a greater importance than all these games been made to get some self importance and show off how someone it's more important than someone else, <deleted> that 

3 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Why would you let the Thai authorities know your child has dual nationality? That would be asking for trouble.

I don't see any problem with putting a child fathered by a foreigner in a Thai government school. The school near me seems as good as a UK inner city school, if not better. I don't really go along with this white supremacist rubbish ....... "my half white child is too good for Thai school", it's clearly racist nonsense. You are lowering yourself to the same level as the Thais complained about in the OP!

Could the authorities not work out that he is a luk krueng as his family name is the same as mine and not Thai like his Mums?

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

So in fact you have no specific knowledge at all about Thai education, no children here either but you are spouting off as if you know it all.

"Knowing" farangs who have had children in Thailand and sent them to an international school is a bit like believing "500 likes" on the social media is the same as having 500 friends.

Please come back and talk to me when you have some practical knowledge of the subject.

quote " you are the first farang I have ever met who thinks Thai government schools are acceptable."

BTW, we have never actually met, nor would I even want to meet you.

Edited by billd766
to correct spelling mistakes

6 minutes ago, DLang said:

He's sending his child to a Thai government indoctrination camp school?

Doesn't he care about her and her education? :blink:

Do you know there are so many elitist snobs on this site. I work in a government School and I personaly belive the children have a great education as well as having fun. But the snobs will know diffrent only through reading the coments by the elitist snobs on here. Maybe it's time to open your eyes get of your <deleted> and go visit a school.

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Do you know there are so many elitist snobs on this site. I work in a government School and I personaly belive the children have a great education as well as having fun. But the snobs will know diffrent only through reading the coments by the elitist snobs on here. Maybe it's time to open your eyes get of your <deleted> and go visit a school.

What qualifications and degrees do you have?

Probably a degree in Graphic Design and 3 week 'TEFL Cert'. :rolleyes:

Edited by DLang

4 minutes ago, DLang said:

What qualifications and degrees do you have?

I have all the nessasary qualifications needed to teach all gained in my home country years ago but what has this got to do with my post are are you looking for some form of ammunition. Sorry to dissapoint you on that score if your going to add to your posts please do so in a timely manner. I presume that's your sum total of qualifications.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

I have all the nessasary qualifications needed to teach all gained in my home country years ago but what has this got to do with my post are are you looking for some form of ammunition. Sorry to dissapoint you on that score

yeah 'dissapoint'ing [sic]

All the nessasary [sic] quals, eh. :facepalm:

Somehow I don't think you quite have the knowledge on child education and development that you feel you have.

5 minutes ago, DLang said:

yeah 'dissapoint'ing [sic]

All the nessasary [sic] quals, eh. :facepalm:

Somehow I don't think you quite have the knowledge on child education and development that you feel you have.

As the saying goes there's no fool like an old fool. I do not and will not justify myself and my academic record to some faceless snob on TV. Suffice to say I am very well qualified to say I know more than you as it appears. I will leave you with your last crystal ball thought so you can save face and feel superior.

Edited by Deepinthailand

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I am very well qualified to say I know more than you as it spears.

Not sure about that. I presume you mean 'as it appears'?

3 basic spelling mistakes in 2 short posts.

Yeah, a real pedagogical giant. Thanks for reaffirming to all why nobody should ever send a child to a Thai government school. :)

Edited by DLang

Back in the mid 90's, two Thai guys lived with us in NZ. They represented our school at table tennis and swept all the awards. In their own capacity, they also went on to take first and second places in the youth provincial championships. They were even celebrated in the local press. Our school couldn't have been prouder of them for making a genuine difference and accomplishment in their (temporarily) adopted country. 

Why would parents of a full blown Farlang child send their child to a crapo Thai government school? Even the middle class Thais won`t send their kids to those schools.

Could be many reasons why the Farlang child was denied entry into the school volleyball competition. Maybe the kid doesn`t speak Thai or the school are concerned that the child`s parents will leave Thailand and won`t be around long enough to see the competition through.

If the parents want the best for their child then they should enroll the child into a decent International school that will meet the educational requirements for Farlang children staying in Thailand. If they can`t afford that then they should not have brought their child to Thailand placing the kid at a great disadvantage.

7 minutes ago, Miaow said:

My 11 yrs old daughter who was born in Thailand from a Thai mother is not allowed to participate in any english competition like story telling or singing contest even if she has a Thai ID card....

Yet a full-Thai raised and educated in America can. :cheesy:

Half Thai/Chinese kids can compete in Chinese competitions etc.

Kind of highlights the real reason. Doesn't it. :whistling:

Edited by DLang

5 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I don't think it's a matter of .  " my half white child is too good for Thai school"  

I think what people are saying, is that in their opinion most Thai schools are not places of learning. In many instances they are establishments for indoctrination into the system. Personnaly I think the main difference is that Thai schools teach children "what to think", while Farang or a good International school will teach the children "how to think".

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

As the saying goes there's no fool like an old fool. I do not and will not justify myself and my academic record to some faceless snob on TV. Suffice to say I am very well qualified to say I know more than you as it appears. I will leave you with your last crystal ball thought so you can save face and feel superior.

Fair enough. Now can you inform us if you hold a PGCE or its equivalent.

I ask this question as I know of one teacher of English here in Thailand,who  throughout his past life was employed on the building sites. That said he is dedicated and seems to do a good job in a state school.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Could the authorities not work out that he is a luk krueng as his family name is the same as mine and not Thai like his Mums?

Plenty of boys with the surname 'Khan and Patel' in the UK ......... doesn't mean they are not British citizens, or hold any other nationality.

Not sure it would indicate their racial background with any certainty either.

Authorities judging a person's nationality by looking at their skin colour would be the start of a very slippery slope.

What about all the Thai kids that have no dad, and mum never knew dads name or nationality in the first place ...... must be plenty of them around by now. 

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

I don't think it's a matter of .  " my half white child is too good for Thai school"  

I think what people are saying, is that in their opinion most Thai schools are not places of learning. In many instances they are establishments for indoctrination into the system. Personnaly I think the main difference is that Thai schools teach children "what to think", while Farang or a good International school will teach the children "how to think".

Off topic here, met plenty of women in the UK who were taught to have babies and live off benefits ....... are the UK schools are doing a great job compared to the Thai schools?

What I don't understand is foreigners thinking the average English child has better educational opportunities than the average Thai child.

Unless you are really rich, school quality in the UK is a postcode lottery, and I've seen UK some council estate schools far worse than any Thai government school.

Edited by MissAndry