Farang child not allowed to play for school team

My twelve-year-old farang daughter goes to a Thai government school. She was selected for the school volleyball team. This week there was an inter-school volleyball competition. My daughter was excited as it was the first time she'd made a school sports team. When we got to the volleyball competition venue, the officials of the competition told my daughter she couldn't play because she was a farang. They said she could only play if she had a Thai ID card. My daughter was heartbroken. The implication is that my daughter will never be able to represent her school in ANY sport or activity if this 'Thai Only' rule holds.

I know there are many farang teachers working in Thai schools. Does anyone have any experience with this discrimination problem? Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix or change this rule, how to find a way around it, or how to get a Thai ID card for her?

Thank you.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As fae as I know she is only eligible for s Thai I.D. card if at least one of her parents is a Thai citizen.

Back in the 1970's my Thai gilfriend had a problem getting Thai I.D. cards for her three chilren by her first marriage, because their father was an Australian

Tht law has now been changed and if one of the parents is Thai they can get Thai passports, and if they are in a Thai house book they can get Thai I.D. cards.

How did your daughter get into a Thai public school without a Thai I.D. card, as that was my Thai girlfrirnds problem originally in 1977?

Strange, what do the Thai think about Thai children who go to school abroad? Do they get the same treatment there? Guess not since we are social people.

Also they probably don't see the advantage, this girl is farang, probably tall and that's perfect for volleyball.

I believe that in my school students have to present their school ID in competitions to show they haven't been entered in an age group that they are not eligible for. I'm hoping there has been something lost in translation somewhere as I've never heard of this before and if not its wrong on so many levels. 

OP:  "I know there are many farang teachers working in Thai schools. Does anyone have any experience with this discrimination problem?"

As a "farang" teacher working in Thai schools for over a dozen years, I cannot be too encouraging.  

As foreign teachers, we are locked out of teacher meetings, teacher trips, teacher "freebies" (giveaway shirts, etc.), and all of the teacher benefits (low-cost loans, insurance, etc.).  Our school sponsored a dinner & concert a few years ago, and all teachers had free admittance--except the foreign teachers, of course, who were expected to cough up 300B for "special tickets" for the evening.   Of course, the foreign teachers didn't show up, and then they were bad-mouthed for not having a team spirit.  

The discrimination is open, shameless, and deeply entrenched.      

Don't hold your breath.  

An excellent example of how this country discourages people to think for themselves, and not be able to identify legitimate reasons where some silly rule should be scraped, can't see the bigger picture, lacking concepts. Backward, silly, isn't it just...well... TIT.

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

I think they mean the contest is for Thai nationals only. Completely reasonable IMHO.

I doubt they would have allowed foreign nationals of any racial background to compete.

Really? I think you're wrong. I think if the child was Chinese this wouldn't have come up. People who deny the racism and xenophobia prevalent in Thai society are just being silly. There is nothing to defend here. She's a student at that school. If she's good enough for that, she's good enough to be on a sports team. End of.

15 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

An excellent example of how this country discourages people to think for themselves, and not be able to identify legitimate reasons where some silly rule should be scraped, can't see the bigger picture, lacking concepts. Backward, silly, isn't it just...well... TIT.

Scrapped, not scraped.

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

I think they mean the contest is for Thai nationals only. Completely reasonable IMHO.

I doubt they would have allowed foreign nationals of any racial background to compete.

Can you explain why it makes perfect sense to you that a student is not allowed to participate in a school sponsored sporting event? 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really? I think you're wrong. I think if the child was Chinese this wouldn't have come up. People who deny the racism and xenophobia prevalent in Thai society are just being silly. There is nothing to defend here. She's a student at that school. If she's good enough for that, she's good enough to be on a sports team. End of.

I knew at some point you and I would agree on something. 

Good post.

12 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

It really beggars belief that a race so far down the food chain could ever call themselves the master race.

Thats the delusion of Thais and Thailand, I once told a ceiling guy his work was crap, I posted the photos here once to show how crap, but he was deluded and left shouting "my work is  good"

They seem never to be told its really NOT good so they have no yardstick to measure by

10 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Can you explain why it makes perfect sense to you that a student is not allowed to participate in a school sponsored sporting event? 

I can..............they might win, and that wouldnt go down well

Not only will your daughter be unable to represent the school team, she will also be unable to gain any recognised certificate to show she attended full time education as a child as they are only available to Thai citizens. They are known as Mor 3 and Mor 6 certificates and are awarded to schoolchildren who successfully complete three years and six years of secondary education respectively.

I have to ask on what grounds is your daughter attending the school (it has to be semi-officially) and what are your hopes for her future with no basic educational qualifications?

2 hours ago, MissAndry said:

2 hours ago, MissAndry said:

And that makes it ok? If you have no self respect at least let others have

Even here in the jungle football and other sports where one village plays against another village in a proper sporting event every member of the team has to show their Thai ID otherwise they carnt play....i was asked to run our local youth football team and i had to photo copy my passport and the head man had to sign the copy....and for bike for dad i had to go to the local amphur with my passport and yellow book so i could registar for the bike ride in return i was given a free bike for dad shirt and free accident insurance for the bike ride...

Just now, Balance said:

Yes, the same thing was true in southern states (and elsewhere) in the U.S. until Federal Law made it illegal 50 some years ago.  Back then it was all about making sure that a black kid would not be better at anything than a white kid.  Of course, even after the law changed, it was another 25 years or so before the white power structure finally acquiesced to social progress.   You can see the last remnants of that steadfast racism in the base supporters of Donald Trump.  But the truth is that with the passing of every generation there seems to be fewer kids that are taught by their parents that people of a different color should be defined as less and not permitted to participate in the society.    

Obviously you were not around back then and have re-written the history to reflect your PC attitude.

Blacks were not allowed to participate for the same reason they had separate drinking fountains and classrooms--not for fear that they would out-perform the white kids but because they were considered different.

And why is it that a black man can say he votes for obama because obama is black and gets a free pass by your kind but if a white man happens to vote for Trump then you call him a racist? 

Archived