Thailand Elite Card is pleased to announce the release of four new membership programs

The dilemma of not being sure what membership level to go for ...

I am currently 47 years old and moved to TH this summer. I am currently hear on a METV and will be in a position to get another METV when I will go back to Europe for a few weeks in Novmeber. So that new METV will (potentially) cover me for another 9 months or till August of next year. Mind you, the thought of doing "visa-runs" for 3 more years till I hit 50 isn´t very appealing to me and I´d like to avoid it if I can. And even the yearly extensions based on retirement are somewhat of a "Hmm, not sure I want to deal with immigration every 12 months" is an issue for me. And that´s why I find TE so appealing and am considering signing up to it. And here´s where my "economic and emotional dilemma" starts: What level of membership to sign up for?

I don´t claim to be a "homo oeconomicus" that always makes "economically rational" decisions so I would like to hear your thoughts on what I perceive to be a tough (financial) decision:

When I compare just the plain numbers (years and cost, without paying attention to the different levels/numbers of perks other than the visa) then the numbers look like this:

5 years: 500,000

10 years: 800,000

20 years: 1,000,000

Now, I intend to stay for years and years to come but only god knows if I will be able to do so. Who knows if I will have to leave after 1, 3, 5, 10 or 30 years (if I get that old, that is)!? So, it doesn´t take a genius to figure out that on a per year cost the 20 year membership is the most cost effective IF you spend the next 20 years in the country. At the same time, it is the worst deal possible if you leave in the near future. But that is a "risk" regardless of the membership level I sign up for, whether that´s for 5, 10 or 20 years.

With the uncertainty of my length of stay in TH it might make sense to opt for the 5 year deal. But then, if I stay for longer and want to renew my membership I will blame myself saying "Ah, told you so, should have signed up for 10 years straight away." And opting for the 10 year membership for 800k appears odd to me if for "only 200k extra" you can gain 10 more years of membership. 

So, if you were in my position (don´t like visa-runs, don´t like yearly visits to immi for extensions of stay etc, but also not 100% sure of how long you will actually live in TH) would you opt for the 5, 10 or 20 years membership of TE? And yes, FOR ME it is going to be one of the 3 ....

Would be interested in your choice of option and the reason why......

Cheers and have a great w/end everyone!

DUS

Edited by DUS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DUS said:

<Snip>

<Snip>

So, if you were in my position (don´t like visa-runs, don´t like yearly visits to immi for extensions of stay etc, but also not 100% sure of how long you will actually live in TH) would you opt for the 5, 10 or 20 years membership of TE? And yes, FOR ME it is going to be one of the 3 ....

DUS

I'm a '5 year' member but will definitely rejoin for 20 years at the expiration of my current membership.  Unless, a more attractive offering (time wise) crops up in the next 3 years.

Why?

Thailand is home and I'm not in a hurry to head off.  The peace of mind that membership in Thailand Elite offers just can't be beat.

Edited by Stray
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DUS said:

I am currently 47 years old and moved to TH this summer. I am currently hear on a METV and will be in a position to get another METV when I will go back to Europe for a few weeks in Novmeber. So that new METV will (potentially) cover me for another 9 months or till August of next year. Mind you, the thought of doing "visa-runs" for 3 more years till I hit 50 isn´t very appealing to me and I´d like to avoid it if I can. And even the yearly extensions based on retirement are somewhat of a "Hmm, not sure I want to deal with immigration every 12 months" is an issue for me. And that´s why I find TE so appealing and am considering signing up to it. And here´s where my "economic and emotional dilemma" starts: What level of membership to sign up for?

I don´t claim to be a "homo oeconomicus" that always makes "economically rational" decisions so I would like to hear your thoughts on what I perceive to be a tough (financial) decision:

When I compare just the plain numbers (years and cost, without paying attention to the different levels/numbers of perks other than the visa) then the numbers look like this:

Now, I intend to stay for years and years to come but only god knows if I will be able to do so. Who knows if I will have to leave after 1, 3, 5, 10 or 30 years (if I get that old, that is)!? So, it doesn´t take a genius to figure out that on a per year cost the 20 year membership is the most cost effective IF you spend the next 20 years in the country. At the same time, it is the worst deal possible if you leave in the near future. But that is a "risk" regardless of the membership level I sign up for, whether that´s for 5, 10 or 20 years.

With the uncertainty of my length of stay in TH it might make sense to opt for the 5 year deal. But then, if I stay for longer and want to renew my membership I will blame myself saying "Ah, told you so, should have signed up for 10 years straight away." And opting for the 10 year membership for 800k appears odd to me if for "only 200k extra" you can gain 10 more years of membership. 

DUS

Indeed a very good question if you do not know how long you plan to remain in Thailand.  Some questions to ask yourself:

1) How sure are you, that you are going to be here for more than 5 years. 

2) How important is the extra 500k for you.  (Is it something that can be spent without care, or is it crucial to you).

3) Can the extra 500k or so be spent on something else that gives you more value today. (Secure a nicer condo, buy a car you need, invest in a bank, need the cash float for emergencies).

4) How much do you dislike the retirement visa option? (You are under 50 so have not tried it yet.. maybe you won't mind it when you are 50).  Or perhaps you are interested in trying out the retirement visa option for a year or two to see if it is a pain (or not).

5) What is the relationship with your country and Thailand: Any chance of newer visa regulations happening within the next 5 years.  For example, in 5 years there may, as part of TPP, be an option for Americans to stay in Thailand for 90 days with visa on arrival (rather than 30) and that might be enough for you.

And finally, there's looking at some of the alternative options:

Doing Visa Runs is boring.. I don't think anyone thinks its great to go to the border and come back the next day, several times a year.  But doing vacations outside of the country 4 times a year may be fun.  Are you in a position to do week long vacations in other countries every 3 months to get an SETV?

Do you plan to return 'home' for Christmas, or some sort of event every year?  Perhaps the return trip will be long enough to secure an METV to spend another 9 months in Thailand. 

Answer these questions, and if you end up in the camp:

I have lived here a while and I am very certain I will be here for more than 5 years -- Go for the 20 year deal

I might be here more than 5 years, but I'm okey paying an extra 500k and not using it -- Go for the 20 year deal

I have no idea what will happen to me next year but I don't mind paying an extra 500k and not using it -- Go for the 20 year deal

I might be here more than 5 years, not sure, and that extra 500k right now would be helpful -- Go for the 5 year deal

I have no idea what's happening next year and an extra 500k is valuable to me -- Go for the 5 year deal

And of course, if you have no plans to be here more than 5 years, you go for the 5 year deal :P

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DUS said:

... snip ...

DUS

Two considerations to build into your decision matrix ...

• If you go for the shorter term, the money not immediately invested in TE is available for other purposes. Thus, for example, assuming you can achieve a good rate of return on 300,000 baht over 5 years, it may be that 800,000 baht for 10 years is not really that much of a bargain over 500,000 for 5 years.
  • Not locking in the deal on the table now risks it not being available in the future. Some have pointed out that the TE program could fold. I consider it unlikely, but the possibility cannot be completely ruled out. Existing packages could end up being modified for new sign-ups (more likely than the program folding,) and could lead to more or less attractive options. If negative changes did happen, I am pretty convinced they would not affect existing members so far as visas are concerned. Honoring existing commitments for visas costs the government nothing, and the negative publicity from reneging would be horrendous. Thus, signing up for a shorter term does carry some risk that you would not be able to renew under similar conditions on expiration.

As you said, the decision may be partly emotional, not driven solely by financial analysis. In your mind, having made a lifetime commitment, it may then be psychologically easier to make other investments in your life here without having quite so many "what ifs" to prey on your mind going forward.

• Like 2

I am just about to send the money for the Superiority Extension. I am a little concerned about this TM30 business though. Even though i have paid one million baht everytime i leave my home to travel abroad or even within Thailand staying just 1 night in a hotel my wife must go to the immigration on my return? This isn't convenience in my opinion it is extreme inconvenience. Could anyone confirm that this is the case for Thailand Elite members?

2 hours ago, MartinBKK said:

I am just about to send the money for the Superiority Extension. I am a little concerned about this TM30 business though. Even though i have paid one million baht everytime i leave my home to travel abroad or even within Thailand staying just 1 night in a hotel my wife must go to the immigration on my return? This isn't convenience in my opinion it is extreme inconvenience. Could anyone confirm that this is the case for Thailand Elite members?

Reporting after every trip out of the country is required by a few offices while most others do not require it.

Reporting after trips within the country is not required.

I have the funds at SCB. I went to transfer the money to Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd account 170-0-12702-0 at Empire Tower branch of Krung Thai bank. If someone could confirm these details are legit I would really appreciate it. My bank suggested I withdraw the cash and carry it across to Krung Thai. Nobody at Krung Thai was able to confirm anything about the account I was told to send to. I would much prefer to transfer it from an account in my own name. What did other members do? 

8 minutes ago, MartinBKK said:

I have the funds at SCB. I went to transfer the money to Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd account 170-0-12702-0 at Empire Tower branch of Krung Thai bank. If someone could confirm these details are legit I would really appreciate it. My bank suggested I withdraw the cash and carry it across to Krung Thai. Nobody at Krung Thai was able to confirm anything about the account I was told to send to. I would much prefer to transfer it from an account in my own name. What did other members do? 

Hope this helps 

Screenshot_20161007-111138.png

I don't know know that account number. I use the account number in the screen shot. Maybe they have changed there account number or use a different account for payments within Thailand. I would give them a quick call to confirm.

It seems to be me that the people who actually have the Thai Elite Visa evaluate the program much more positively than those who don't have the visa. That alone says a lot.

In any case, though, I would like to ask if the current Thai Elite Visa holders are comfortable with their visa and their decision to go for the premium solution given the current political climate. Please be so kind and only reply if you actually have the visa stamped in YOUR passport.

Secondly, I'd like to know if there is a Thai Elite office in Pattaya that I can visit.

1 hour ago, Kommissar123 said:

It seems to be me that the people who actually have the Thai Elite Visa evaluate the program much more positively than those who don't have the visa. That alone says a lot.

This is a fairly common phenomenon, as the pain of the initial payment will quickly fade but the benefits are there each time you enter/leave the country.

• Like 2

I believe there is some kind of TE office in Pattaya as they offer a facility to do members 90 day reports for those that are living there. I have no idea where though as I have had no need to visit them. 

As the previous poster said, the PE visa makes me feel very secure in the current climate. Our visas are stamped and paid for 5 years into the future. Would they cancel them? Let's just say that if they did then that would most likely be the end of all visas, retirement, marriage, Tourism etc. Nobody would be here. The TE program is aimed at those people that have committed money to Thailand on a long basis. Property owners, frequent visitors etc. It's not aimed at the occasional tourist. Kill the TE program and you kill the long term plan of luring those to Thailand that have committed money in the future. Imagine the fall out and headlines for TAT from across the Asia region where the program has been heavily promoted should it be cancelled?.... Not going to happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

I believe there is some kind of TE office in Pattaya as they offer a facility to do members 90 day reports for those that are living there. I have no idea where though as I have had no need to visit them. 

As the previous poster said, the PE visa makes me feel very secure in the current climate. Our visas are stamped and paid for 5 years into the future. Would they cancel them? Let's just say that if they did then that would most likely be the end of all visas, retirement, marriage, Tourism etc. Nobody would be here. The TE program is aimed at those people that have committed money to Thailand on a long basis. Property owners, frequent visitors etc. It's not aimed at the occasional tourist. Kill the TE program and you kill the long term plan of luring those to Thailand that have committed money in the future. Imagine the fall out and headlines for TAT from across the Asia region where the program has been heavily promoted should it be cancelled?.... Not going to happen.

Exactly. 2 things they wouldn't have any interest to touch (nothing to gain and a lot to lose if they do): TE and PR (Permanent Residency).

Edited by Jujus
Misspelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kommissar123 said:

In any case, though, I would like to ask if the current Thai Elite Visa holders are comfortable with their visa and their decision to go for the premium solution given the current political climate. Please be so kind and only reply if you actually have the visa stamped in YOUR passport.

Secondly, I'd like to know if there is a Thai Elite office in Pattaya that I can visit.

As several other posters have commented, I also feel much more secure with a PE visa than any other.

When my current 5 year TE membership expires, I will be purchasing a 20 year membership.  Unless, of course, a longer term option becomes available.

• Like 1