Thailand Elite Card is pleased to announce the release of four new membership programs

I agree that taking your travel companion (whether he/she is Thai or not) would be nice but that has never been an official benefit of TE neither is it really " THAT" relevant. If you are one of the few TE members that regularly flies with your Thai wife/husband and you find it unacceptable or appalling for her not to enjoy TE privileges than just pay that 2000-ish baht or so that buys fast track service at BKK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Sometimes in my opinion there comes a point where you have simply paid enough. I think TE is still okay for people that need a quick easy visa but that's it. Benefits aren't being expanded they are being cut now, official or otherwise. 500,000 Baht minimum is enough in my opinion to cut in line.

It pains me to eat crow a little bit on this one. There is simply no other reason to buy a visa through them with the direction they are taking. They seem to have very little influence with immigration and the only thing they offer that is certain is a visa these days. 

That being said with the current rules a visa isn't a small thing. I can't imagine anybody who qualifies for any other visa (other than the ED Visa) buying this just for shits and giggles. This is a utilitarian tool and not a luxury item. 

There are just too many flaws in the service for justifying the cost purely as a convenience. Nice that they aren't officially part of immigration so they can play bad cop good cop with the officials. When something is great they take credit but any bad announcement is simply out of their hands. 

It is a good thing for those under 50 who have few other options.  If you have any money at all 500K buys a lot of fast tracks and limos.

I appreciate your honest contributions to this thread as someone who has been seriously considering this option.  It's been helpful to hear about your and other's non-biased accounts of your experiences as an outsider looking in.

I had finally decided to go the TE route in december, and this minor change ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  The implications of "immigration told us we can't..." were disconcerting to me.  I'm married to a Thai national but was having trouble getting a marriage extension, and was sort of throwing in the towel and saying "just make it work" for the TE option.  I personally reached the conclusion that using the 500k toward building a house for my wife in Issan was a better use of the money than contributing it to the TE program  Once the house is built my wife will be my landlord and I hope things will go more smoothly with extensions moving forward.  Obviously there were alot of other aspects to the decision than just the visa, it wasn't the main reason I've decided to move to the girlfriend's hometown, but it was part of the decision process.

Edited by tlock
grammar

4 hours ago, tlock said:

I appreciate your honest contributions to this thread as someone who has been seriously considering this option.  It's been helpful to hear about your and other's non-biased accounts of your experiences as an outsider looking in.

I had finally decided to go the TE route in december, and this minor change ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  The implications of "immigration told us we can't..." were disconcerting to me.  I'm married to a Thai national but was having trouble getting a marriage extension, and was sort of throwing in the towel and saying "just make it work" for the TE option.  I personally reached the conclusion that using the 500k toward building a house for my wife in Issan was a better use of the money than contributing it to the TE program  Once the house is built my wife will be my landlord and I hope things will go more smoothly with extensions moving forward.  Obviously there were alot of other aspects to the decision than just the visa, it wasn't the main reason I've decided to move to the girlfriend's hometown, but it was part of the decision process.

you did the right thing to build the house rather than by the TE cards by the looks of it ;

A its not a programme to be part of with all these changes 

B you can get a tourist visa for 1000 bhat every 2 months and extend it for 1 month at a cost of 1900 bhat ,lot cheaper than 500,000 bhat for 5 years at the end of the day.

Edited by paul18620

you did the right thing to build the house rather than by the TE cards by the looks of it ;
A its not a programme to be part of with all these changes 
B you can get a tourist visa for 1000 bhat every 2 months and extend it for 1 month at a cost of 1900 bhat ,lot cheaper than 500,000 bhat for 5 years at the end of the day.

My understanding is that Tlock was referring to problems about extensions based on marriage, not Tourist visa. I've used a number of Tourist visas before, it's a headache if you travel frequently and stay in Thailand. The TE option is still the best option in my opinion if you stay longer in Thailand, you are below 50 and not working.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

My understanding is that Tlock was referring to problems about extensions based on marriage, not Tourist visa. I've used a number of Tourist visas before, it's a headache if you travel frequently and stay in Thailand. The TE option is still the best option in my opinion if you stay longer in Thailand, you are below 50 and not working.

I agree... when my second METV runs out this summer, I'll sign up to TE.

• Like 1

For someone who has no plans of adding family members or need “complimentary” golf access or spa treatments, am I correct in that the following 3 options are the ones worth considering:

1. Elite Easy Access: 5 years @ 500,000 baht ⇒ 100,000 baht/year.
  2. Elite Family Alternative: 10 years @ 800,000 baht ⇒ 80,000 baht/year.
  3. Elite Superiority Extension: 20 years @ 1,000,000 baht ⇒ 50,000 baht/year.

The only difference in benefits seems to be that the first one contains 24 airport transfers per year, other than that, they seem identical (apart from membership duration).

A bit weird the second one has the word “family” in its name. I assume it is available even if you do not add a second family member.

For the service to work as a "luxury" for rich people. They would have to do a few things. Here are a few ideas they could do to make it better in these regards.

1. Unless you are flying in to affix the stamp you should not need to go meet CW immigration or the nearest immigration to you. I thought a cup of tea or coffee in an area away from the main hall would be nice. In hindsight, they just make you sit and there is no need to be present for any reason. You are never scrutinized by immigration in person. They could obviously have a clause that you may need to appear in person. This however doesn't need to be a mandatory thing.

2. 90 day reporting. They should keep a list of the dates for reporting and email you just before it needs to be done and send a courier to your house  (possibly at your expense) to pick up your passport and bring it back. I am uncomfortable giving my passport to other people so I would like it to be signed by TE that they personally are responsible for it's safety should anything go astray. You can drop it off at TE office in Chong Nonsi but to go there and come back to my house I just go to CW myself. One trip instead of two.

3. Transport to any (with in reason such as Bangkok) airport 24 times a year whether they operate there or not. So if they aren't in Don Mueang I can still get the limo. It isn't my fault they have plans to expand next year. Do what you can for me in the mean time it doesn't have any impact on sending a car.

4. Obviously let at least two people go through fast track together. It is completely insane to assume that more than one person in any given party would have elite visas. 

5. Bank accounts. Instead of requiring me to have a special letter and appointment, a member of TE staff with a copy of the passport waits in line and opens the account for you with out having to be physically present. Again if there are any questions or doubts the applicant may be required to appear in person.

6. A SIM card could be  included in your welcome package.This is easy to do and the last villa I stayed at in Bali gave a local SIM upon check in. It had a few minutes on it for calls and to use internet all you had to do is top it up. 

I know I am dreaming but if they did those 6 things there would be the appearance of some sort of VIP service. They are trying to add value and are falling short. If they can't deliver convenience sell it for 380,000 for 5 years and drop the pretense. That would be pretty fair.

Nothing in any of my suggestions is that hard to do and none of it costs anything to do. They are selling it as hassle free and that hasn't really been my experience so far. Nobody even seems to know what a PE visa is including immigration officials at airports.

Hello All,

I still maintain that the PE Visa at 1M for 20 years is a viable option, perhaps even a 'good deal' if your circumstances dictate that you spend a long continuous period of time in Thailand.  If you are unable to do week-long vacations to the nearby countries ever 3 months or find the routine a hassle, or really hate visa paperwork then it is an option.

However, I've never considered their extra services a selling point.  Perhaps cute or nice if it was a freebie add-on, but not worth paying extra for.  It really is, IMO, all about the PE visa stamp.

The concerning part to keep an eye on is if they continue to make other ways of visiting Thailand more difficult it may well be that this PE Visa becomes a necessity.  As we see with restrictions on border crossing, if they decide to extend that policy further (maximum 2 SETV per year, or maximum 180 days/year, etc.) then this would become a requirement.

I do not have one (I do the week long vacations to Singapore/Hong Kong/etc. and spend time in Europe).  But if these embassies start to refuse to hand out visas then there may be no choice.

(P.S.: If TE offered 2-for-1 at Starbucks I'd be all over it.  Even 2-1 at first class seats in cinemas.  Unlimited free ARS/BTS/MRT. Free Fitness Gym?  Something useful in everyday life!)

Edited by JayBird

Hello All,

I still maintain that the PE Visa at 1M for 20 years is a viable option, perhaps even a 'good deal' if your circumstances dictate that you spend a long continuous period of time in Thailand.  If you are unable to do week-long vacations to the nearby countries ever 3 months or find the routine a hassle, or really hate visa paperwork then it is an option.

However, I've never considered their extra services a selling point.  Perhaps cute or nice if it was a freebie add-on, but not worth paying extra for.  It really is, IMO, all about the PE visa stamp.

The concerning part to keep an eye on is if they continue to make other ways of visiting Thailand more difficult it may well be that this PE Visa becomes a necessity.  As we see with restrictions on border crossing, if they decide to extend that policy further (maximum 2 SETV per year, or maximum 180 days/year, etc.) then this would become a requirement.

I do not have one (I do the week long vacations to Singapore/Hong Kong/etc. and spend time in Europe).  But if these embassies start to refuse to hand out visas then there may be no choice.

(P.S.: If TE offered 2-for-1 at Starbucks I'd be all over it.  Even 2-1 at first class seats in cinemas.  Unlimited free ARS/BTS/MRT. Free Fitness Gym?  Something useful in everyday life!)

Tourist visas aren't a good option if you want to stay in Thailand longer. I've had a number of them from their consulate in Laos where you can still get them relatively easy. But it's still a headache to do this every 3 months + after 2 months you have to go to Immigration to extend it. And embassies/consulates in other countries can be very difficult to give Tourist visas, i.e. Singapore. And if you travel frequently, it's not a good option neither. So all in all the TE option is a good option if you are below 50. I got the 5 year one because it will get me closer to the age when I would be eligible for the retirement visa option. But agree the 20 yr option looks like a good deal too.

5 hours ago, Robert24 said:

Tourist visas aren't a good option if you want to stay in Thailand longer. I've had a number of them from their consulate in Laos where you can still get them relatively easy. But it's still a headache to do this every 3 months + after 2 months you have to go to Immigration to extend it. And embassies/consulates in other countries can be very difficult to give Tourist visas, i.e. Singapore. And if you travel frequently, it's not a good option neither. So all in all the TE option is a good option if you are below 50. I got the 5 year one because it will get me closer to the age when I would be eligible for the retirement visa option. But agree the 20 yr option looks like a good deal too.

Yes, no shit Sherlock. It is becoming very obvious what is going on. This is why they can curtail benefits. This is no longer a visa system that deals in fairness it has been swallowed by the xenophobia which is commonly referred to as Thai immigration, 

There aren't any of the adamant supporters that were from earlier on.  It is unfortunate that we are in a political climate where this program possibly won't work. 

It isn't for lack of trying but the general government they deal with is so obtuse there is nothing more that can be done. 

It seems they simply don't want foreigners no matter how they try to sell it. They will raise requirements for everybody else or else I have a wild imagination. 

The people that want this program to fail will be subject to higher levels of scrutiny in the future.  

1.6 in the bank is my guess, 90 a month. article 44

I would like TE to respond but they don't. 

Sorry but there comes a point that I don't need to live in Thailand this badly. There are no longer any die hard supporters of this program. I used to be one of them but they literally do fuk all for you.

I can't go through the fast lane with my boyfriend? lol 

The service is absolutely pathetic. the visa is still okay.

5 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Yes, no shit Sherlock. It is becoming very obvious what is going on. This is why they can curtail benefits. This is no longer a visa system that deals in fairness it has been swallowed by the xenophobia which is commonly referred to as Thai immigration, 

There aren't any of the adamant supporters that were from earlier on.  It is unfortunate that we are in a political climate where this program possibly won't work. 

It isn't for lack of trying but the general government they deal with is so obtuse there is nothing more that can be done. 

It seems they simply don't want foreigners no matter how they try to sell it. They will raise requirements for everybody else or else I have a wild imagination. 

The people that want this program to fail will be subject to higher levels of scrutiny in the future.  

1.6 in the bank is my guess, 90 a month. article 44

I would like TE to respond but they don't. 

Sorry but there comes a point that I don't need to live in Thailand this badly. There are no longer any die hard supporters of this program. I used to be one of them but they literally do fuk all for you.

I can't go through the fast lane with my boyfriend? lol 

The service is absolutely pathetic. the visa is still okay.

I had to check three times that it was you posting something negative on TE.  Things must be really bad....

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

I had to check three times that it was you posting something negative on TE.  Things must be really bad....

I also had to check that the "die hards" are now saying negative things about this programme and it might fail again like it has done before.

54 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

I also had to check that the "die hards" are now saying negative things about this programme and it might fail again like it has done before.

You shouldn't think too much. 60 new members a month at a minimum of 500,000 bt a member is hardly a failed program.

"For the fiscal year ended September 30, 2016, TPC reported a profit of more than Bt195.07 million, up by more than 82 per cent year on year. Members generated more than Bt1.7 billion in revenue for the economy, in addition to their membership fees." 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30303762

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You shouldn't think too much. 60 new members a month at a minimum of 500,000 bt a member is hardly a failed program.

"For the fiscal year ended September 30, 2016, TPC reported a profit of more than Bt195.07 million, up by more than 82 per cent year on year. Members generated more than Bt1.7 billion in revenue for the economy, in addition to their membership fees." 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30303762

I am happy for you that you believe all their figures they have provided.

1 minute ago, paul18620 said:

Can you me show me figures that contradict what TE have posted? Maybe the extra reception area that has been opened at Suarnabhumi to welcome members and speed there transit through the airport wasn't really needed or indeed the plans to operate out of Don Mueng later this year.
Thanks for your interest in the plan.

7 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Doubt there is much sugar coating going on, some of the numbers reported:

To date, a total of 4,037 members.

Of that number, 2,508 are lifetime members (from before 2013).

In the last 13-14 months, 14,768 members entered Thailand (used fast track).

To me, these numbers do not seem to have been inflated and are consistent with what has been reported in the past, and from those numbers, it does not at all seem unreasonable that they generated almost 200 million in profit this year, as the new member fees should have given them at least 360 million, so 160 million spent on “marketing” and services to existing members (like operating the fast track service).

I do wonder what happened to the 800 million deficit they had built up, is profit being used to pay this back? Or are the taxpayers covering this?

I'm a member since 6 months and it's ok and I'm happy with their services.

It's a bit difficult on this forum that people like to spread rumours and wrong information.

• Like 1

I think I found another glitch with TE Visa.  I got a Thai Driver's license yesterday and was told (through translation by my Thai wife) by two people that I cannot obtain an International Driver's Permit (sometimes referred to as a license) with the Thai two year temporary driver's license that I received.  I have to wait two years until I qualify for the permanent 5 year Thailand Driver's License, but this also requires a long term stay visa, for which the special PE Visa does not qualify - it is a type of Tourist Visa.  So, as discussed in another thread, you will only receive the 2 year temporary driver's license with the TE Visa, which apparently can be renewed for another 2 year temporary driver's license, never a 5 year permanent license.  The problem for me is when I visit the US, a foreign driver's license and an International Driver's Permit are required to rent a car.  Unless I can maintain a US based driver's license, which requires US residency (another set of problems...), I would be unable to rent a car in the US.  I have no idea what would happen in another home country.

9 hours ago, James2020 said:

I think I found another glitch with TE Visa.  I got a Thai Driver's license yesterday and was told (through translation by my Thai wife) by two people that I cannot obtain an International Driver's Permit (sometimes referred to as a license) with the Thai two year temporary driver's license that I received.  I have to wait two years until I qualify for the permanent 5 year Thailand Driver's License, but this also requires a long term stay visa, for which the special PE Visa does not qualify - it is a type of Tourist Visa.  So, as discussed in another thread, you will only receive the 2 year temporary driver's license with the TE Visa, which apparently can be renewed for another 2 year temporary driver's license, never a 5 year permanent license.  The problem for me is when I visit the US, a foreign driver's license and an International Driver's Permit are required to rent a car.  Unless I can maintain a US based driver's license, which requires US residency (another set of problems...), I would be unable to rent a car in the US.  I have no idea what would happen in another home country.

I emailed TE about getting a Thai driving license after joining last month on the 5 year PE visa, and was told i can only get a 1 year driving license with the option to renew for another year when it expires. Not sure what happens after that, i guess you keep renewing every year..?

I emailed TE about getting a Thai driving license after joining last month on the 5 year PE visa, and was told i can only get a 1 year driving license with the option to renew for another year when it expires. Not sure what happens after that, i guess you keep renewing every year..?

The 1 year temporary driving licence is actually a 2 year driving license. I guess you have to renew it after 2 years. Some people claim they were able to get the 5 year license with the TE visa. Not sure, I will try when mine expires later this year.

It's ok for me but it doesn't fix the problem reported earlier about obtaining an int'l driving licence based on your 2yr Thai driving licence. I don't have this problem because I have another driving licence from another country but I guess some people have run into issues here.

On January 10, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Mover1 said:

I just got a new 5 year TE visa after weighing up the options of staying long term and being under 50. Not the cheapest but at least i don't have to worry. It's a bit crap that the limo doesn't cover you for internal flights, and it doesn't cover Don Muang airport, and you can't take at least one person through immigration with you, but i'm not going to piss my pants and cry about it ;)

Has anyone been refused their extra guess through the Priority lane ?

I travel internationally 3-4 times per year with my Wife and Son and have never had an issue with this in the past, my Wife and son simply accompany me through the Priority lane without any issues from Thai Elite. I'm not sure if this has changed in the last couple of months.

3 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

The 1 year temporary driving licence is actually a 2 year driving license. I guess you have to renew it after 2 years. Some people claim they were able to get the 5 year license with the TE visa. Not sure, I will try when mine expires later this year.

It's ok for me but it doesn't fix the problem reported earlier about obtaining an int'l driving licence based on your 2yr Thai driving licence. I don't have this problem because I have another driving licence from another country but I guess some people have run into issues here.

My 5 year licence runs out at the end of the year. I'm aware Thai Elite can escort you and help you navigate the process, but thats all they do. 

I'm wondering if our 5 year DL is renewable for another 5 year licence or are we dropped to a 2 year licence ?