Stop this! Immigrants using young children to bait and annoy Pattaya tourists

webfact

5 hours ago, teacherpaul said:

Obviously you have zero grasp of customer service. People don't want to be bothered and pestered when eating or drinking. Also if you had bothered to read the article properly, you would know that the beggars are not Thai. Next time, engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

All beggars, hawkers and sundry salespeople should attend a customer service course; I could tag along to improve my understanding. I am aware that beggars are Thai and/or from neighbouring ASEAN countries. They really ought to have more consideration for the tourists who represent their source of income for their not particularly lavish lifestyles.

6 hours ago, teacherpaul said:

Obviously you have zero grasp of customer service. People don't want to be bothered and pestered when eating or drinking. Also if you had bothered to read the article properly, you would know that the beggars are not Thai. Next time, engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

Engaging brain is out of reach for some posters, too much juice methinks.

16 hours ago, champers said:

You need to go somewhere else, if people in their own country trying to make a living really bothers you that much.

did not the OP indicate this was 'immigrant children' ?  I took that to mean not Thai.

On 8/4/2016 at 11:01 AM, mercman24 said:

what i hate about Pattaya, how the people selling crap are allowed to come right into the bars, one after another, one is trying to have a quiet drink and its bloody complete hassle, why aren't these people banned from coming into bars, nice to get back to Bangkok and enjoy a peaceful drink

It depends on where you drink.  Don't go to the bars off Soi 7 and 8.  Bangkok is not much better especially Nana.

19 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

What`s worrying is that the immigrants may try to claim that a tourist touched a child inappropriately and could make a load of problems.

I have had experiences with these beggars in Chiang Mai during the past and they can be very irritating and persistent, not taking no for an answer.

They are also run by the local mafia who drop them off and pick them up.  Well know scam that is acknowledged by the locals.  Giving isn't an act of 'mercy' or compassion, but an act that supports human trafficking. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 3:41 AM, Seismic said:

Well, as this has been going on for the last 35 years that I have been here, I dont think it is quite due to the "self imposed recession".

I do not remember seeing beggars such as the ones I have seen since the early 90's, when in Thailand in 1971-1972.  

However, I was only visited downtown Bangkok for a few days from the Bang Khen area and then went up to Udon Thanii for the majority of my one month visit in 1988.  

The flower selling or chewing gum selling kids were around in the early 1980's when I first came to Thailand. You would see them down walking street in pattaya and around Soi Cowboy in Bangkok.

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, mercman24 said:

what i hate about Pattaya, how the people selling crap are allowed to come right into the bars, one after another, one is trying to have a quiet drink and its bloody complete hassle, why aren't these people banned from coming into bars, nice to get back to Bangkok and enjoy a peaceful drink

That's been going on for decades so I can't see it stopping anytime soon. I guess if one has taken out a loan that one can't afford to buy some junk that someone told them will make them rich in the city of gold ( Pattaya ) and one finds that no one actually wants to buy it one may become desperate.

In London I remember being very PO when a young panhandler actually came into a fast food restaurant to ask me to give him money, for nothing in return!

Re the OP, locals have been using young children in that way for decades, so why blame it on "immigrants"? One just has to refuse to give them anything as it only encourages other adults to exploit children when western guilt makes tourists buy anything from the kids.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, radiochaser said:

I do not remember seeing beggars such as the ones I have seen since the early 90's, when in Thailand in 1971-1972.  

However, I was only visited downtown Bangkok for a few days from the Bang Khen area and then went up to Udon Thanii for the majority of my one month visit in 1988.  

There wasn't "mass tourism" in the early 70s, but I'm sure the beggars were outside the military bases.

In the early 90s, there were definitely exploited children begging in Nana and Soi Cowboy, and Pattaya and Patong.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, Rhys said:

Does that mean the kids selling the garlands at the stop signs too?

Yes. There is no place for using children to beg in Thailand. They only do so because they know people will give them money.

It's like up in Chiang Mai there were no beggars in low season and come high season they were along Loi Kroh Rd, but not as many as in Bkk or Pattaya.