Thaksin calls the draft charter a “folly”

webfact

Thaksin calls the draft charter a “folly”

Thaksin-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Exiled fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday criticized the draft constitution as a “folly” designed to perpetuate the power of the ruling junta and to make it almost impossible for the future elected government to rule.

His criticism came just three days ahead of a referendum on Sunday to decide on the fate of the draft charter in the biggest test of public opinion since the military takeover in 2014.

In a statement e-mailed to Reuters, Thaksin called the draft charter a “nightmare of contradictions and confusion”.

“The drafters..created a constitution for the continuity of the absolute power of the present coup makers to continue even after the new constitution is proclaimed,” said the former prime minister in response to a question about his opinion on the referendum.

He said that the constitution would put so much power in the hands of bodies tasked with acting as counter-balances to governments that it would make Thailand ungovernable.

“I predict that, even if the new government receives perfect endorsement from the present regime, it will find it impossible to manage the Thai economy or administer the country under those proposed conditions,” said Thaksin.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thaksin-calls-draft-charter-folly/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-05

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Another welcome contribution from our man in Dubai. Just to keep the pot bubbling.:thumbsup:

Yes. He is only stating what the majority of the country would like to say but cant.

I can just imagine Prayut's face exploding in a fit of rage every time Thaksin releases a statement.

34 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Another welcome contribution from our man in Dubai. Just to keep the pot bubbling.:thumbsup:

He's right though is he not?

The elephant in the room gets bigger by the day, he should be exiled, or something like that.

Edited by Thailand

the next elected government can rule as long as they are doing what governments are supposed to do - represent the interests of all the people and the country and not just one person or themselves......no crime no foul

could be the first time in Thai history were an elected government actually acts like one

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

the next elected government can rule as long as they are doing what governments are supposed to do - represent the interests of all the people and the country and not just one person or themselves......no crime no foul

could be the first time in Thai history were an elected government actually acts like one

A government here can and will only work when there is real law and order. Oh, and a decent education system.

Until then corruption will reign supreme. Doesn't matter which government is in power. 

2 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

They say that in order to have a full life, you should have a new experience every day.

Well today I am going to agree with Thaksin.

Wow, that feels a little strange!

Oh dear,  what's happening to us  ?    :D

The only problem i see is that while Thaksin may be right he's just increased his bogeyman status in the eyes of the PM and it's bound to come up sometime soon. 

Oh dear,  what's happening to us  ?    [emoji3]

The only problem i see is that while Thaksin may be right he's just increased his bogeyman status in the eyes of the PM and it's bound to come up sometime soon. 

PM voted in by who?
The D word is more appropriate. As for Thaksin he should be more worried about his sister today. Or the 280 billion baht she might be fined. The world don't care about Thailand. There seems no way to end the military rule. Fall in or fall out. The future looks bleak. Thaksin hopes for a quick turn around but who can take on a tank? Nope, nobody is interested in politics that much at the moment. Grin and bear it is whispering through the trees at the moment.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Under the proposed charter, the next elected government cannot rule, unelected generals, senators and bureaucrats will rule.

It is truly a nightmare of contradictions and confusion.

The only positive to come of this coup to date is the way it has united many factions against those currently pulling the strings.

This year, or next year, or some time not too long after, real democracy will be restored and you, my dear Smedly are going to have to spend the rest of your TVF posting days living under a Thaksinite government - this makes me smile.

Here's a man, who was until not long ago, revered like a demi god, and now,

all he can do sit there in Dubai, smoke the hookah, as it's still legal there, and watch

his life passing him by without knowing if he will, ever, eat som tam again in Thailand.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Unfortunately, such an elected government won't be a democratic government except in name only in the same vain as North Korea. The military will continue its stranglehold over Thai rights and liberties as it behaves as an independent sovereign that superceds Thai people's soveriengty.

6 minutes ago, rijb said:

I believe those 'qualifications' fit just about everyone at the trough.  Especially the ones hiding under the rocks.

Have some more 'kool-aid'.   :rolleyes:

But Cuchulainn is pretty much correct and he puts it so beautifully.

I sometimes wish I had a command of the language like that.

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

By calling Thai people who follow the "wrong" people, uneducated dross?

I do believe that such comments are a slur on Thai Nationals, who have more rights than "most expats who post here.

I actually joined to see if the comments I've read elsewhere in various other forums and social media that this forum is full of "Thai Bashers" seems pretty accurate given this Chuchulainn's comments.

“I predict that, even if the new government receives perfect endorsement from the present regime, it will find it impossible to manage the Thai economy or administer the country under those proposed conditions,” said Thaksin.

So he thinks he can? 

May be with another big style fraud like the rice desaster caused by him?

Exiled fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday criticized the draft constitution as a “folly” designed to perpetuate the power of the ruling junta and to make it almost impossible for the future elected government to rule.

Duh! He is, of course, absolutely right. I mean, that IS why they took power in the first place. No more new faces at the trough, and those pesky farmers actually believing that they should have a say in running their own country??? Well, I never!!!!!

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Have you had the privilege of reading the charter? it's certainly going to give the Good old boys in green uniform top billing, perhaps your opinion as a foreigner, means very little to the local people of whom the charter will effect for the next 20 odd years.

The next elected Government you say, my dear chap, the next elected Government is the current one, do you think they're so different from the previous one, where a simple coup could overthrow it if it displeased the right people?

It's really just as well the votes belong to the Thai people for now, would you care to comment how the government in place just now has had the interests of the people at their hearts when they really dislike having people criticise them, stick and stones old chap.

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Calling people who don't fit in your profile as uneducated dross and you wish to have that command of the language. Well I guess birds of the same feathers, do flock together. Uncouth to me.  

Thaksin Shiniwattra is a despicable man, but like many despicable men, he still garners support from many walks of life, as the fine upstanding Gentlemen in post 14 called his supporters "uneducated dross" I strongly suggest he talks to the many medical professionals and legal professionals, and indeed, the military professionals who would still vote for this pious creature.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Read your statement over again. Wishful thinking at best. The illusion of personal freedoms is fast disappearing world wide. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bourne said:

By calling Thai people who follow the "wrong" people, uneducated dross?

I do believe that such comments are a slur on Thai Nationals, who have more rights than "most expats who post here.

I actually joined to see if the comments I've read elsewhere in various other forums and social media that this forum is full of "Thai Bashers" seems pretty accurate given this Chuchulainn's comments.

Did you actually understand who he was talking about in particular? He wasn't talking about Thais in general but specifically the one person that this thread is about. Try reading the whole post from the beginning.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Calling people who don't fit in your profile as uneducated dross and you wish to have that command of the language. Well I guess birds of the same feathers, do flock together. Uncouth to me.  

He was talking about one person who you seem to support most enthusiastically and who is a convicted criminal fugitive with about 15 charges outstanding against him.

He claims that they are all politically motivated yet with all his money, contacts and lawyers (the best that money can buy), he will not return to Thailand to face them in the courts.

1 hour ago, Jason Bourne said:

Thaksin Shiniwattra is a despicable man, but like many despicable men, he still garners support from many walks of life, as the fine upstanding Gentlemen in post 14 called his supporters "uneducated dross" I strongly suggest he talks to the many medical professionals and legal professionals, and indeed, the military professionals who would still vote for this pious creature.

So if Thaksin in your words is a despicable man can you explain why you are sticking up for him?

24 minutes ago, halloween said:

To paraphrase "How can we steal with so many people looking over our shoulder?"

Who will be looking over the shoulder of the military once they cement their hold on the country?

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Did you actually understand who he was talking about in particular? He wasn't talking about Thais in general but specifically the one person that this thread is about. Try reading the whole post from the beginning.

He used the words uneducated dross to describe Thai people who vote for Thaksin Shiniwatra

I suggest you also read what he wrote, as for sticking up for that creature, hardly, I dislike the comments towards the people who have shown me nothing but respect for the past 15 years, of whom I also respect, regardless of their political allegiance.

Do you often make poor judgements based on your severe lack of knowledge about ones political background?

He said that the constitution would put so much power in the hands of bodies tasked with acting as counter-balances to governments that it would make Thailand ungovernable.

I can understand Thaksins concern regarding counter-balances, when he was in power I was hoping for some myself. When Thaksin executed 3,000 alleged drug dealers I was hoping for balance. Speaking of which I notice Rodrigo Duterte has killed 700 "drug dealers" in the Philippines, he's going to have to pick up the pace if he wants to match the talking head from Dubai.

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So if Thaksin in your words is a despicable man can you explain why you are sticking up for him?

My goodness, because I have been critical of a post that's derogatory towards many Thai people, you believe that's sticking up for that despicable man? A post that has been subsequently removed I might add.

Is your mind really that narrow, and eyes so short sighted? actually, I'll answer on your behalf if I may, seeing as you are likely to talk nonsense, indeed you are narrow minded, and short sighted.

Do you have red supporting Thai friends or colleagues, or do you believe that they're beneath you socially and in terms of equality? Would you call them uneducated dross? would you call their friends uneducated dross?

As the good Lord says, "Judge ye not, and ye shall not be judged"

You're another interesting fellow who seems to feel a bit of self importance, arrogance and disdain for other people whose country you're allowed to reside in opinions who differ from your own.

Do you have a vote on Sunday, or will you allow the Thai people to express their views and opinions through this referendum, irrespective of their choice?