Planting Lilacs in Thailand

I recently was thinking about what flowers I'd like to plant in front of my house. Also, in wandering around the internet, I learned that some people have suggested wearing or buying lilacs on 25 May in memory of Sir Terry Pratchett (long story). I was wondering if anyone knows if it's feasible to grow lilacs in Thailand. I know, for example, that many (most) varieties of apple won't bear fruit because they need freezing temperatures at some point in the year, and we're lucky there are varieties that will bear in Thailand. So, if lilacs are viable, where would I look for -- what, seeds? Saplings?

You need to be more specific about where in Thailand you are.  Plants that will thrive in the hills of the north (including apples and strawberries) won't survive in the hot, central plains.  Palms that do OK in the tropical south won't grow will in t'North.

OK, I'm in Nakhon Sawan, which is considered Central Thailand. It's well-watered, thanks to the confluence of the Nan and Ping rivers into the Chao Phaya. Cold season temperatures are usually no lower than mid-teens. The heat wave this year was pretty severe, but I'm hoping that was an anomaly.

Traditional lilac trees won't bloom without a winter chill.  You'd need to get a "mild climate" variety.  They also flower best with a period of low watering.  Given that they can cope with Southern California heat, I don't think the temperatures here would be a problem.

Archived