New minimum wages from 340-550 baht per day to become effective August 10

rooster59

13 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Thats is very decent…poor thais need this…hope its not just lip service.

Poor Thais aren't going to get it. This is all froth just before the referendum. Only 70,000 people have apparently qualified for an increase so far.  The gap between rich and poor is immense.

I notice 'electricity workers' have been added. As electricity generation is a government monopoly this is a blatant attempt to add another group of loyalists to the Regime.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear!

Up the prices will go.

Down the wages for day labourers will go.

Will this really help the poor?

Will this really be favourable for getting people more skilled?

Will this really be good for the economy?

I do remember the time the announcement was made to raise the minimum wage to 300 baht

Up went the prices.

Then the raise was implemented.

And up went the prices again.

The unskilled labour in the Isan, working up to 12 hours a day, can be very happy if indeed he gets 300 baht a day.

15 hours ago, swissie said:

The Thai Labor Ministry has just found a way to increase the wages of some folks employed by said ministry: For some Tea-Money, one can buy a "License" , attesting the bearer of such "License", that he/she is a skilled laborer. = TIT.

Cheers.

Right now the tests are given by the employing company like for pipe fitters, welders or crane operators.  Most of these guys already make more than the minimum.  

This is really going to hurt the poor ma and pa farmers who work their own plots. It will make all goods and services even more expensive for them as the price of rice has not gone up in line with this rise. 

Very damaging to say the least. 

17 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Hpw much will one staple meal be 60-100 Baht per serving??? :cheesy::cheesy:

Quite a way back when a wage rise was announced a mobile stall set up in our village served a large noodle soup with chicken or pork with veg etc @ 25 after few year later up to 30 then another wage rise was announced, so 35 and people stopped going there, after a couple of weeks or so they put it back to 30 and business boomed again. :D

I go there once a week and they get someone to get me a beer Chang 50. 

15 hours ago, swissie said:

The Thai Labor Ministry has just found a way to increase the wages of some folks employed by said ministry: For some Tea-Money, one can buy a "License" , attesting the bearer of such "License", that he/she is a skilled laborer. = TIT.

Cheers.

Really? Do you have any links or references to that you can post, or is that just another bar stool rumour?

9 hours ago, Senechal said:

First off, this is a 60% raise. It's an absolutely *insane* amount to rapidly raise an economically sensitive input cost like the cost of labor.

Never mind the morality of it. Never mind the economic necessity of it. Doing an extremely rapid, un-phased wage hike of 60% is dangerous. This will have serious effects on the Thai economy. Prepare for unemployment levels to "surprise" economists to the upside.

Secondly: ASEAN is in effect now and there is literally *nothing* keeping companies operating here other than the hassle of moving to the nearest border. But when neighboring labor prices are now 25-30% of Thai labor prices in Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia... well... the exodus is mathematically guaranteed.

The recession will be sharp and painful.

Exports are already down. This move is going to make matters considerably worse.  

Can you explain just which groups are getting a 60% pay rise from their existing salary?

10 hours ago, Senechal said:

First off, this is a 60% raise. It's an absolutely *insane* amount to rapidly raise an economically sensitive input cost like the cost of labor.

Never mind the morality of it. Never mind the economic necessity of it. Doing an extremely rapid, un-phased wage hike of 60% is dangerous. This will have serious effects on the Thai economy. Prepare for unemployment levels to "surprise" economists to the upside.

Secondly: ASEAN is in effect now and there is literally *nothing* keeping companies operating here other than the hassle of moving to the nearest border. But when neighboring labor prices are now 25-30% of Thai labor prices in Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia... well... the exodus is mathematically guaranteed.

Exports are already down. This move is going to make matters considerably worse.  

I would agree with the most of this, rather a rash move I feel. My main point of difference would be ASEAN, which seems to me to do nothing and be nothing.

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Really? Do you have any links or references to that you can post, or is that just another bar stool rumour?

The sun will rise tomorrow.  Sorry, I don't have any links or references to post but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen.

I love posts like yours, in conversations that only happen on the internet.  Just curious, when you're chatting with the very limited number of friends that you have in real life, when they espouse an informed opinion about something, do you demand they provide instantaneous proof to validate their perspective?  Or do you just continue the conversation?

51 minutes ago, djjamie said:

This is really going to hurt the poor ma and pa farmers who work their own plots. It will make all goods and services even more expensive for them as the price of rice has not gone up in line with this rise. 

Very damaging to say the least. 

Do you know if the new wage is an increase or decrease from prevailing wage rates and what jobs are covered or are you just making stuff up?

Edited by Scotwight
clarity

Bit off topic but, why have I not seen an English language news story about the very recent salary increase for government officials,

supposedly the 3rd this year, that a Thai pointed out to me (a news story in Thai) just the other day?

39 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

The sun will rise tomorrow.  Sorry, I don't have any links or references to post but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen.

I love posts like yours, in conversations that only happen on the internet.  Just curious, when you're chatting with the very limited number of friends that you have in real life, when they espouse an informed opinion about something, do you demand they provide instantaneous proof to validate their perspective?  Or do you just continue the conversation?

Well if anyone makes ridiculous statements off the top of their head whats wrong asking where it came from or how did they come to that conclusion.

But it seems by your posting manner you know absolutely everything.

How do know the sun will rise for you tomorrow. ?  :lol:

Edited by Kwasaki

I have 2 Thai Electricians who have worked for me over 10 years.

we hold regular weekly discussions on new electrical changes  and problems with our customers.

They are familiar with The "Thai Electric Code" (yes there is one).

I consider these men engineers by most standards here in Asia.

When i first came to Thailand, I could certify training of my staff and get them recognition and educational credits.

So my question who, when, where do they take this "TEST" would love to see a copy of that!

1 hour ago, Diplomatico said:

No.

I get curious as to where they get the information from, so I ask them, which is why I asked you the question. So it seems as though it is simply your opinion without anything to back it up.

9 minutes ago, ksamuiguy said:

I have 2 Thai Electricians who have worked for me over 10 years.

we hold regular weekly discussions on new electrical changes  and problems with our customers.

They are familiar with The "Thai Electric Code" (yes there is one).

I consider these men engineers by most standards here in Asia.

When i first came to Thailand, I could certify training of my staff and get them recognition and educational credits.

So my question who, when, where do they take this "TEST" would love to see a copy of that!

1. Electrical industry and electronics -  e.g. lighting equipment assembler and electrical appliance motor assembler;

2. Motor vehicle industry -  e.g. lather technician, product quality assurance officer or body painting technician;

3. Logistics industry -  e.g. forklift driver, warehouse operator and inventory controller;

4. Parts and spare parts of motor vehicles industry -  e.g. automatic lathe technician and MAG welder for motor vehicle parts industry; and

5. Jewellery industry -  e.g. gem setter and lapidarian.

Google  The national labour skill standard test for more information

11 hours ago, Senechal said:

ASEAN has been in effect for 30-40 years...not "now." Other inputs like electricity and transport to markets, let alone a lack of skilled labour, make most of these "cheaper" alternatives no alternative at all.

6 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

and the timing?  completely coincidental it's referendum day right?  is it populist?  

If it was meant to influence the referendum, wouldn't it have been better to announce it yesterday so that people would know about it before they vote? The last minimum wage rise was announced as an election policy, along with the other vote-for-us bribes.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

If it was meant to influence the referendum, wouldn't it have been better to announce it yesterday so that people would know about it before they vote? The last minimum wage rise was announced as an election policy, along with the other vote-for-us bribes.

You do know that this effects only 5 relatively small groups of skilled workers?

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Thats is very decent…poor thais need this…hope its not just lip service.

more populist bulls#it. i was surprised when i heard the governmment was buying up rice to push the price up. now increasing wages above what the market is paying. whats next free tablets for kids, or bonuses to buy new cars? have we heard this before? the poor auto industry is in a bad way after having its subsidies cut and now there will be increased wage costs. foreign investment is down 90%. that is almost hard to believe, and now wage costs are going up. how can any of the be good?

8 hours ago, waldroj said:

Yet another misleading piece from the Broadcaster (we are told) we can trust!

As I read it, the new minimum wages apply only for skill labour "within 20 types of jobs in five industries...in addition to (the) earlier announced 35 types of jobs".

But the caveat to even this, is that eligible workers must also pass the national labour skill standard test.

The permanent secretary of the Labour Ministry "revealed that so far over 70,000 workers...have passed the tests" that will make them eligible to get the new wage rates!

So, despite what the headline says, there is going to be quite a few million workers who will miss out!

if i could find just one of those 70k it would be a miracle

I am still unclear. This is for "skilled" jobs. What was the old rate of pay for these

jobs? What is happening to the 300 baht a day rate minimum wage for the

non-skilled workforce. If this just a smoke and mirrors populist announcement

on referendum day. Should it not have been announced a day or two ago?

Once again I am left scratching my head. If the old rate of pay for these

jobs was 300 baht a day that is a hefty increase for the economy to support. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

No.

I get curious as to where they get the information from, so I ask them, which is why I asked you the question. So it seems as though it is simply your opinion without anything to back it up.

Exactly.

When talking to people you know you are already aware of their ability to voice an opinion on a particular subject, the same cannot be said for internet posts.

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She asked for cooperation from employers to pay their employees not less than the rate announced by the ministry

Does this imply that paying the  new minimum wage is not legally mandatory but only a suggestion?