Soldiers uncover illegal bar opening on referendum day - but the cops had all gone home!

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe TAT should offer tourists the opportunity to vote (for a modest fee) in elections. It certainly wouldn’t affect the outcome of the poll, could provide some wonderful PR material, and might even give foreigners the illusion that their enforced sobriety is not without noble cause.

Edited by Hayduke

Because tourists are supposed to keep up with Thai voting law nonsense when a Thai bar is willing to serve them. Right.

A stern talking to... also a reach. Go find a policeman or soldier who is able to give someone a stern talking to in English about such a complex topic as law.

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

Business isn't controlled by an important Thai family.

Errr, no- the tobacco industry is controlled by the Finance Ministry, a State Agency.

That's why , when they increased taxes on cigarettes they also introduced a cheaper brand so those with less money would not be affected.

Edited by Psimbo

43 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

This has the traits of a typical event in Thailand and a typical news story in Thailand.

- a pointless scattergun law or regulation that has long since ceased to have any rationale and the populus can no longer remember why it was introduced in the first place. It has become ritualistic.

- Those in power and the press who are reporting on it never question the reasoning for the actions of those in power.

- The army doing things that really should be left to others.

- Blaming foreigners.

- Hyping minor events and stories whilst failing to talk about the elephant in the room.

- Authority (backed by guns and muscle) trump all else.

:wai:

On Sunday regional chief Sompong Chingduang said there was no wrong doing on the part of police

Would have liked to have heard some explanation from the chief of how the police leaving their duties and leaving the soldiers behind constitutes "no wrong doing"... not to mention allowing an illegal establishment (shisha and serving alcohol illegally) to operate within their jurisdiction.

The last few times that's happened with brothels and some bars (operating illegally under the nose of the police), the commanding and senior officers for those areas supposedly got transferred into the great unknown void of "inactive posts."

So I guess this news report suggests that the soldiers are better police than the police are??? :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Bung said:

The tourists were given a stern talking to about how Thai people have to be sober and go vote on Sunday so tourists cannot be allowed to enjoy a few drinks on a Saturday night......

Why not just ban Thai people from drinking? 

How would you feel in your home country if the government banned you from buying something you liked but allowed tourists to buy it?

I'd be pretty pissed off myself.

46 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Because tourists are supposed to keep up with Thai voting law nonsense when a Thai bar is willing to serve them. Right.

A stern talking to... also a reach. Go find a policeman or soldier who is able to give someone a stern talking to in English about such a complex topic as law.

Falang mai dee big pomplem etc. etc. 

24 minutes ago, Chicog said:

How would you feel in your home country if the government banned you from buying something you liked but allowed tourists to buy it?

I'd be pretty pissed off myself.

And what, pray tell, would those things be that tourists might be able to buy but you couldn't? Anything you can name?

1 hour ago, JAG said:

A stern talking to - delivered by soldiers in combat kit, because they were enjoying a drink whilst on holiday.

If they weren,t on the next available plane out I should imagine they won't be making a return visit.

Spin that TAT.

Do you want tourists who flaunt laws, presumably thinking they're above the law? Enough here already who think like that.

Siting in a back room shisha place - just enjoying a holiday drink; and you accuse TAT of spinning 555!

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I think most countries ban alcohol on election days until polls close.

I agree that the night before is a little strange closing at midnight might have sufficed

Please link to that reference. Thanks. Moslem countries have alcohol restrictions or bans anyway. I think India does for election days. Thailand. Who else?

2 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Why are shisha pipes illegal;  it's just tobacco in those things isn't it?

Smoking inside any premises is illegal in Thailand, so I guess that includes shisha pipes. Thailand has some of the strictest no-smoking laws in the world and was the first, I think, to put gruesome photos on the packets.

Of course, being Thailand, many places still allow smoking because they make a donation to the right people.

8 hours ago, Bung said:

The tourists were given a stern talking to about how Thai people have to be sober and go vote on Sunday so tourists cannot be allowed to enjoy a few drinks on a Saturday night......

Why not just ban Thai people from drinking? 

Plenty drunk smack heads on Jomtien Beach over the last couple of days

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Smoking inside any premises is illegal in Thailand, so I guess that includes shisha pipes. Thailand has some of the strictest no-smoking laws in the world and was the first, I think, to put gruesome photos on the packets.

Of course, being Thailand, many places still allow smoking because they make a donation to the right people.

Edited by Rorri
replied to wrong comment

3 minutes ago, geisha said:

Are shisha pipes illegal or not ? I'm sure I've seen quite a few bars in certain areas openly having them !

Actually, there is no "law" banning them, it's like so many "laws" just made up by local police, and any other number of officials, the problem is, no one will  tell them they don't have the authority to make up Laws, these need to be passed by government decree.

However, there are "laws" banning smoking from certain areas, but as usual, these are enforced only "selectively".

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I think most countries ban alcohol on election days until polls close.

I agree that the night before is a little strange closing at midnight might have sufficed

Really, mmm, I like to see your proof, I know of many that don't ban it, Canada, the US, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Germany, Norway, just to name a few, maybe you mean a "few."

10 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Actually, there is no "law" banning them, it's like so many "laws" just made up by local police, and any other number of officials, the problem is, no one will  tell them they don't have the authority to make up Laws, these need to be passed by government decree.

However, there are "laws" banning smoking from certain areas, but as usual, these are enforced only "selectively".

As are riding a motorbike without a helmet, speeding etc.

48 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you want tourists who flaunt laws, presumably thinking they're above the law? Enough here already who think like that.

Siting in a back room shisha place - just enjoying a holiday drink; and you accuse TAT of spinning 555!

You misunderstand.

My first point is the inappropriateness of being sternly lectured for an hour by soldiers for having a drink - quite likely not realising that they were breaking the law. You may disagree, and feel that it is one of the more admirable traits of the way this country is headed that the army takes such duties upon itself - fair enough.

My second point was that these tourists are unlikely to have been favourably impressed by being so lectured, were unlikely to return, and indeed that their experience is unlikely, were it to beome well known, to attract other visitors. That is what I was inviting TAT to spin.

4:45pm on Saturday afternoon I said to my wife.... "oh crap, no beer left and I have a one hour window to hit Makro, can you please take care of the stove for me?"... the amount of white faces in makro was way above average! lol

If you want tourists to come back to Thailand again, let them have some fun and treat them nice and polite – tourists are not voting for a new constitution, they probably don't even care at all about it...:)

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

Dunno if there is or is not an actual Thai law (legal statute) specifically addressing shisha pipes in commercial establishments.

But I do know the authorities have recently DECLARED that shisha is illegal in Thailand, and appear to be enforcing that pretty much like everything else, sporadically, and when they feel like it.

8 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Now don't do that again, you naughty tourist!!   :lol:

Surely anyone with a foreign passport and who was born outside of Thailand should be allowed to have a drink on election days.

I can't see why we have to suffer because of thai's can't make it to vote after all there not baby's or are they.....I'm a tourist nothing to do with me.

8 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Now don't do that again, you naughty tourist!!   :lol:

Surely anyone with a foreign passport and who was born outside of Thailand should be allowed to have a drink on election days.

Really, having a drink is that important for you?