Chiang Mai’s referendum result shows more “No” than “Yes”

Jonathan Fairfield

Chiang Mai’s referendum result shows more “No” than “Yes”

tpb-1.png

CHIANG MAI:— Although overall results of yesterday's draft charter referendum in the northern region will give approval to the charter and its attached question, but the majority of voters in Chiang Mai rejected the charter with "No" to both questions.

Poll result received at 3.00 am Monday showed 43.49% or 385,317 voters said “Yes” and 51.35% or 454,987 voters said “No” to the draft charter.

For the attached question, 38.40% or 340,285 voters said “Yes”, while 51.19% or 453,562 voters said “No”.

But for the poll result from a total of 11,127 Chiang Mai voters who registered to vote outside their province, 9,285   voters or 83.45%  had go to the poll in polling units in 76 provinces.

A total of 4,729 voters or 51.24% said “Yes” to the charter, while 4,412 voters or 47.80%  said “No”.

For the attached question, 4,292 voters or 46.50% said “Yes” while 4,822 voters or 52.24% said “No”.

There are 1,275,798 eligible voters in Chiang Mai, but 924,164 voters or 72.44 % came out to vote.

Of all the ballots casted yesterday in Chiang Mai, a total of 886,054 or 95.88% were valid, while 38,110 ballots or 4.12% were void.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mais-referendum-result-shows-no-yes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-06

23 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

What is surprising is that there were no reports of pay-offs being offered by either side.

Shintown ain't what it used to be.

Bangkok did well. How many trains has it gotten and other infrastructure work? What has CM got out of this unbaised regime. Follow the money in Thailand and it all seems to end up in Bangkok. Follow the money.

4 minutes ago, harrry said:

Well that really means that the rest of the North must have voted almost overwealmingly YES.  Maybe the country should seperate from Chiangmai.

Hardly. I think there is a BKK summerhome connection to provinces which went yes. And some places like Korat and Ubon were yes but they've got massive military bases and the spending for the military.  Any connections? Who knows...

56 minutes ago, shirtless said:

Who is checking the counts oh right the military off course i would not believe this government if they were forecasting the weather.

shirtless,

They do!

The weather forecasting in Thailand is done by the Thai Meteorological Department (www.tmd.go.th), which is a government agency. It was actually part of the Royal Thai Navy until its transfer to the Office of the Prime Minister in 1962, eventually ending up with the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology in 2002. Its current Minister, Dr. Uttama Savanayana is not a former senior military or police officer.

If you want to know some more earth-shaking news, it is also responsible for operating an Automatic Earthquake Monitoring System in Thailand.

2 hours ago, JingerBen said:

What is surprising is that there were no reports of pay-offs being offered by either side.

Really.

My wife voted and didn't even get a T-shirt to show for it.

The Shins used to spring a fin.

I guess they've fallen on hard times.

1 hour ago, shirtless said:

Who is checking the counts oh right the military off course i would not believe this government if they were forecasting the weather.

Hey easy they accomplished the great feat of counting millions of votes in 4 hours. 1-2-3-4-5-6- we win. 

21 minutes ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Really.

My wife voted and didn't even get a T-shirt to show for it.

The Shins used to spring a fin.

I guess they've fallen on hard times.

Sorry those "premiums" are reserved for a real election not a referendum. Then they can say "and all I got was this lousy Tshirt".

Edited by elgordo38

30 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Sorry those "premiums" are reserved for a real election not a referendum. Then they can say "and all I got was this lousy Tshirt".

Don't hold your breath until a real election comes along.

In the meantime, the Thais have to take what they can get, even if it's only a referendum.

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Bangkok did well. How many trains has it gotten and other infrastructure work? What has CM got out of this unbaised regime. Follow the money in Thailand and it all seems to end up in Bangkok. Follow the money.

Don't remember any of this government's ministers threatening voters that only those who vote for them will get things done, money spent on them etc.

Unlike PTP politicians who seemed to think that was a bona fide campaign trick.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Living in Chiang Mai I fear we will be passed over by the Bangkok purse strings. 

Like Phuket was under PTP? What was it Plod said - you can have a new convention center when you vote for us? Or words to that effect.

Thaksinomics at it's finest.

8 hours ago, JingerBen said:

This referendum vote should not be compared to an election of individuals for office.  It was after all just window dressing for the junta.

7 hours ago, tifino said:

Chiang Mai will become the Texas of Thailand.

Lucky they don't have Walmart there

Been watching those conspiracy theories on YouTube, eh?

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Living in Chiang Mai I fear we will be passed over by the Bangkok purse strings. 

That wont happen - now under a Pheu Thai government and living in Phuket, you may suffer from this!! 

That won't happen - now under a Pheu Thai government and living in Phuket, you may suffer from this!! 

That won't happen - now under a Pheu Thai government and living in Phuket, you may suffer from this!! 

It's actually a little puzzling.  My wife has voted Democrat all her life, even when Abhisit and Suthep stooped to the lows they did.  But she voted no to the constitution as it's not actually very conducive to democratic process. 

It's strange that it was accepted relatively overwhelmingly, given that you'd expect doubts not just with the old red leaning people but also with Democrat supporters who actually appreciate democracy. (Including indeed Abhisit who has said he was against the constitution).

Those factions combined you'd think would result in an easy no vote, but that didn't happen.    (Not that it matters but I'm fine with the result though of course; a country gets the governance it deserves.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

On 8 August 2016 at 5:58 PM, Baerboxer said:

Like Phuket was under PTP? What was it Plod said - you can have a new convention center when you vote for us? Or words to that effect.

Thaksinomics at it's finest.

But ,but Thaksin---.

A new tune please.