One thing that hasn't changed in BKK the last 2 years...

elzach

The motobike taxis riding on the ..... sidewalks.

Just 15 min ago at 4:30 pm (which makes it the start of rush hour on both asphalt and sidewalk) one zoomed by (with a passenger in the back) at maybe 15-20 km/h, which may not seem a lot, but on a busy sidewalk it is.

You may not see them in places like Sukhumvit any more, but they are up and down on Ratchadapisek for example like they always have been.

Now, what would happen if he hit me? If he hit me and I was ok, I may want to make sure that he never rides that thing again by breaking a few of his limbs plus his bike. Of course I'll have to remember that he'll call on his 20 buddies to resolve the dispute as Thai men (Asian men) believe always in a fair fight.

Edited by elzach

ONE bike passed u on the footpath??

Last week in a 1klm stretch of footpath I had over 40 motorcycles pass me in both directions.

40 motorcycles on an average 8am morning. Half were taxis. There was even one farang who I have seen do it a number of times.

Getting angry doesn't help.

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Last week in a 1klm stretch of footpath I had over 40 motorcycles pass me in both directions.

40 motorcycles on an average 8am morning. Half were taxis. There was even one farang who I have seen do it a number of times.

No getting angry doesn't  help, but getting to work on time time does.

On Ratchadaphisek rd i even saw motocy taxi's wearing a full balaclava at night, they were transporting tourists.

Why do they have to wear a balaclava while working with tourists? Those guys must have an issue i guess.

18 hours ago, JJGreen said:

There is one thing I can promise you, If any Farang rides on the sidewalk near me, I think you will know the rest.

Thanks all for your input and opinions.

I didn't mean "one" motor bike passed me, just that this one startled me because I didn't see him.

Actually last night, on the same stretch of Ratchadapisek, 3 motobike taxis zoomed by in the space of 15 seconds(!), one of them honking, presumably to remind me that I'm occupying his lane.

I think we can agree that, given the state of the vast majority of sidewalks in BKK, this practice should have been banned (and enforced) long ago.

Edited by elzach
forgot to add

Actually last night, on the same stretch of Ratchadapisek, 3 motobike taxis zoomed by in the space of 15 seconds(!), one of them honking, presumably to remind me that I'm occupying his lane.

They also like to honk to show u they are available ...as if u are crazy for actually walking 100 metres

Yes, motorcycles on the sidewalk are irritating but I don't think that I want to start a quarrel after all of the stabbings and shootings I've seen the TV pages recently;  however, in the old days when the "cowboys" would run us down on the sidewalks of Saigon, some of us carried walking sticks that we would jam in the spokes of their wheel as they roared past.  Unless you were in a remote spot like Khanh Hoi or the back streets of Cho Lon, you could get away with it.  I always had my 45 strapped on so I was prepared for knife attacks.  Of course, in those days the "cowboys" didn't carry guns.  Now probably some of the Thai motorcyclists do.  I won't mess with them!

10 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

It is a common thing in any third world country.

They do it in China, but not as conspicuously as here. Maybe 100 meters from/to where they park it.

In Vietnam in Hanoi (with probably the highest ratio of motorbikes per capita) I don't remember this kind of situation.

In Manila I think it's not anywhere as bad as here either.

In KL in numerous visits I've seen it maybe a couple of times.

2 hours ago, Pacificperson said:

I was in China not too long ago. Almost all of the motorcycles have been converted to electric. They were riding them down the sidewalks at night with the lights off. You couldn't see them and you couldn't hear them. I got serious startled more than once.

They are not "converted". They are electric scooters basically. Real motorcycles (anything over 200 cc) are banned in all big cities in China.

13 hours ago, Pacificperson said:

I was in China not too long ago. Almost all of the motorcycles have been converted to electric. They were riding them down the sidewalks at night with the lights off. You couldn't see them and you couldn't hear them. I got serious startled more than once.

I got the same surprise in China.