Family in desperate bid to bring home Brit dad after motorbike accident in Koh Samui left him in coma

webfact

2 hours ago, Peter3171 said:

Let's see:  no helmut, expired travel insurance, not enough in the bank so that his family would have enough to bring him home.  How irresponsible could this guy be?  Samantha, his girlfriend, is not part of the emergency package fund.  Presumably she has a return ticket and can fly home herself.  Not much sympathy for the pain this guy has caused his family.  If the whole family cannot raise 10,000 on its own, it is pretty pathetic.

Jeez, what a bundle of fun you are. Ever heard of empathy?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Riding a motorcycle Is generally excluded by Insurance companies.  They don't want to do anything risky!

If they dont want you to do anything risky, they should not sell you a policie going to Thailand.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Most policies do not cover motorcycle accidents herurn in Thailand.  And Samui is one of the most dangerous places in Thailand to ride a bike.

Insurance should be mandatory with the rental, like it is in many other countries.

The Insurance premium would be more than most can afford.  It's just too risky for an Insurance company, based on past expdrience.

Unable to edit typo.

1 hour ago, Broeno said:

Unf they dount want you to do anything risky, they should not sell climbinglicie going to Thailand.

They sell a policy that covers many risks, but NOT riding a motorcycle, parachuting, rock climbing.

How is that different from an Insurance company not offering flood Insurance insurance If you build a house In area subject to flooding?

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...hey embassy.....whom do you represent and speak for....you and your paycheck....???

That isn't the role of embassies/consulates.

You enter into a commercial agreement with a hirer, or an insurer, or a car dealer, it is YOUR responsibility.

They'll advise the relatives when you fall off the motorcycle and are in hospital though.

I think the crowd funding concept is fast running out of legs because people are not accepting responsibility for their own actions, and then expecting strangers to cover their stupidity.  If you don't have insurance to cover a particular risk, and then engage in that risk, you have only yourself to blame, and in my view, can't and shouldn't, expect that strangers will come to your financial aid.  It's just plain selfish behaviour.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Every travel insurance I looked at and even purchased a few did not pay costs or bills upfront.  You had to file for reimbursement after treatment or during or whenever you actually get a bill.  Each policy I had would pay for repatriation or emergency flight home.  I guess if he was in a coma after his policy has lapsed then the policy is gone.  The articles don't list any dates so you can't tell how long he has been traveling and how long the policy lasts or what the terms of the policy are.  If the accident occurred while the policy was in effect, then the repatriation and the medical features should still be intact.  I wouldn't expect the policy to  require him to file claims while the policy is in effect.  Judging by the photo in the hyperlinked article no helmets seem in evidence.  I know that here in the USA if they prove negligence such as driving without a seatbelt or riding a bike without a helmet which is required by law in most states, depending on your policy you may get zippo

Here in the UK most if not all travel insurances companies have a Emergency Assistance call centres that will liaise with hospitals and guarantee payments. 

Just now, Basil B said:

Here in the UK most if not all travel insurances companies have a Emergency Assistance call centres that will liaise with hospitals and guarantee payments. 

But may still have an exclusion on riding a motorcycle BasilB.

Last time I traveled, I took travel insurance through my credit card provider, and they DID cover riding a motorcycle, but as you say in your post, it was subject to wearing a stack hat, AND having a valid licence (International Permit) in the country in which you're riding, AND a valid licence from your home country.  Additionally, the bike couldn't be above 125 cc.

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...hey embassy.....whom do you represent and speak for....you and your paycheck....???

British Tax payers...

Though I do see a point in having an emergency fund for emergencies, this should be a loan to be repaid with interest, costs and passports have to be surrendered until the debt is repaid, the government should all it can to to get back every penny with interests rates to cover some debts that will never be repaid.

i dont want to pay for my familys bills  - i just want to beg for money,,,   this is how you know it is 2016

sorry for your problems, but pick up a shovel and go to work.   I am so sick and tired of everytime someone has some kind of problem the first thing they think of doing is begging....  

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

Good post. Anyone not in possession of a motorbike licence from their home country should NOT be allowed to rent a bike. Period. Inexperienced riders + road conditions + Thai driving mentality / law enforcement = a  recipe for disaster. 

Can never happen, motorcycle rentals would go out of business.

I wish him the best, but I think they need to multiply that 10,000 by about 5 if they're planning to get him home.  

Maybe by 10 (or more) depending on what's owed to the hospital, and the support they'll need to medivac him.

So this is the same guy who gave a shit about keeping in touch with his family and his son a good month earlier? A month later he's still in Thailand and now in a coma after the wise decision that helmets are only for pussies. Caring dad my @$$. At that point my empathy and my sympathy ends. I feel very sad for his son though. Kids usually do not deserve irresponsible @$$hole parents.  

hobbs.jpg

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

But may still have an exclusion on riding a motorcycle BasilB.

Last time I traveled, I took travel insurance through my credit card provider, and they DID cover riding a motorcycle, but as you say in your post, it was subject to wearing a stack hat, AND having a valid licence (International Permit) in the country in which you're riding, AND a valid licence from your home country.  Additionally, the bike couldn't be above 125 cc.

Yes, but seems the issue here is he extended his holiday and his insurance has expired ...so they say as I am thinking if ever he had in the first place.

As for insurance there used to be exclusions for riding a motor bike even as a pillion passenger so could even find one excluded if one had a accident as a passenger on a motorbike taxi, certainly those who do not have a licence to ride a bike would not be covered by any travel insurance. 

Keep in mind the guy's in a coma, so he has absolutely no input into the narrative being created around him now.

He may be perfectly willing -and perhaps even able- to accept the results of his own choices without seeking outside contributions.

14 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Riding a motorcycle Is generally excluded by Insurance companies.  They don't want to do anything risky!

I know 1 uk company that covers bikes up to 750cc....... its just a little annoying that my bike is 849cc.....:(

13 hours ago, farang62 said:

The mini-van's are totally out of control, they cause many accidents here on Samui, and why do we have so many anyway seems they increase every week. Their like taxi's, why do we have so many also?

In 1 post you claim its not the local drivers at fault, then you blame the mini van drivers !!!!

Make up your mind....

13 hours ago, sahibji said:

provided it was bought. brings me to the earlier discussion on this form. i still feel make travel insurance cover as part of the travel package,just like paying your airport tax. there will be that much lesser pain and trauma in case of accidents.

This gets repeated so often.  I'm curious.  Is there any country in the world that imposes such a tax on tourists, and then guarantees all their emergency medical care and costs, including medical airevac?

14 hours ago, DavisH said:

Good post. Anyone not in possession of a motorbike licence from their home country should NOT be allowed to rent a bike. Period. Inexperienced riders + road conditions + Thai driving mentality / law enforcement = a  recipe for disaster. 

I know any insurance I looked at from here in the USA you could select additional riders for motorcycle, jet ski and other what they consider dangerous sports.  However, with the motorcycle the policy clearly stated you need a valid motorbike driver license.  The other things were considered dangerous recreational activities, but motorbikes were specifically flagged

17 hours ago, tomwct said:

Awful young to be retired! I hope the family can get him home! Another reason to always buy health insurance!

Retired, and all his family and friends can't amass 10k sterling--what poverty stricken ghetto is he from? Honestly, how many people travel  the world who don't have 10k pounds? They need to stay home and get a job.

15 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

Travel Insurance can be dodgy when it comes to motorcycle accidents. There can be an exclusion clause, particularly if the individual was not in possession of a motorcycle licence.

I bet the insurance company will also use a "No Helmet" get out clause as well.

Would this guy drive a motor cycle with no helmet or license in the UK? if the answer is yes, then I have no sympathy for him or anyone who does.

What if he had knocked down and killed a kid here with neither, would anyone in Thailand be rushing to pay the dead kids parents.

:coffee1:

21 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Every travel insurance I looked at and even purchased a few did not pay costs or bills upfront.  You had to file for reimbursement after treatment or during or whenever you actually get a bill.  Each policy I had would pay for repatriation or emergency flight home.  I guess if he was in a coma after his policy has lapsed then the policy is gone.  The articles don't list any dates so you can't tell how long he has been traveling and how long the policy lasts or what the terms of the policy are.  If the accident occurred while the policy was in effect, then the repatriation and the medical features should still be intact.  I wouldn't expect the policy to  require him to file claims while the policy is in effect.  Judging by the photo in the hyperlinked article no helmets seem in evidence.  I know that here in the USA if they prove negligence such as driving without a seatbelt or riding a bike without a helmet which is required by law in most states, depending on your policy you may get zippo

There area  million traps for the unwary in travel insurance policies gk.

Many years ago, before Thailand had embarked on, and become recognized for, a medical tourism program, and medical services weren't as good as they are now, a friend had a fall and broke some teeth.  His first thought was to get back to Australia to be treated, and $8000 later, he sent his claim to the travel insurance company.  There was a clause in his policy that the treatment must be undertaken in the country in which the accident occurred!!!  

Imagine it happening in India that far back and going to one of those dentists who operate on the sidewalk, sitting on those tiny chairs about 30 cm high, no anesthetics, little to no sterilization, etc.

Read your policy very carefully, and you'll find they don't want to cover you for very much, no different from car and house insurers.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Retired, and all his family and friends can't amass 10k sterling--what poverty stricken ghetto is he from? Honestly, how many people travel  the world who don't have 10k pounds? They need to stay home and get a job.

The guy's in a coma.   How does his family get his money when he's in a coma?

He may be a zillionaire.

If I were to be in a coma tomorrow, nobody can get to my money, either.   At least not until the probate- and that's too late.  Something to consider if planning a world tour.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Actually the statistics on cash available are scary, in the USA anyway.  The vast majority of people have few liquid assets and are one or two pay checks away from real trouble.  And most that are "retired" are on fixed fairly small pensions or social security and barely making ends meet.  But I agree, going on a world tour and not having anyway to get 10k sounds bad.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

He may be a zillionaire.

If I were to be in a coma tomorrow, nobody can get to my money, either.   At least not until the probate- and that's too late.  Something to consider if planning a world tour.

I said his family and friends cannot amass 10k sterling; and yes, if you have assets it is wise to have contingency plans

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Actually the statistics on cash available are scary, in the USA anyway.  The vast majority of people have few liquid assets and are one or two pay checks away from real trouble.  And most that are "retired" are on fixed fairly small pensions or social security and barely making ends meet.  But I agree, going on a world tour and not having anyway to get 10k sounds bad.

Most Americans with kids and who do not have any money do not travel overseas, but my original statement and the same situation exists--I find it odd his entire family and assorted friends cannot amass less than $13K

4 hours ago, impulse said:

He may be a zillionaire.

There's no doubt he has that look of success as Bill Gates does, so perhaps he is a zillionaire??

Friends think I'm nuts covering all these contingencies before I go overseas, every time.  I leave Power of Attorney with my daughter, advise my financial adviser, accountant, bank official I normally deal with, and lawyer, and each knows about the others, and how to contact them.  If required, I am able to pay for an evacuation by air, charter if necessary, and fight about who pays later.  My life is important to me.....it's the only one I have and I want to stay on enjoying it for as long as I'm able.

It's terribly time consuming though, about ten minutes sending emails.

I still take out travel insurance, but from my observation, most policies are nearly worthless.  A friend in the business calls travel insurance 'the postage stamp business.'  You can write the life history of a year's successful claimants on the back of a postage stamp!!

On 12 August 2016 at 2:16 AM, tomwct said:

If motorcycles are covered in Thailand, the policy would be only 50% coverage. This is true on all health insurance policies

issued in Thailand. Even government health insurance.

Our travel Insurance, issued by our Motorcycle Insurers in the UK, fully included riding motorcycles.

We specifically paid extra to make sure it covered us while riding hire motorcycles in Thailand. 

Although I expect most people will not bother with specific motorcycle inclusion in the policy and just hope they don't fall off! 

I am sorry to say this but they should not have played the "father" angle given this guys 1-year old is back home while he is out living the high life in Thailand and apparently not contributing financially to his son if they can't even scrape together 10,000 .

I don't wish harm on anyone but this guy made some bad choices.

EDIT: Just read the bit about total paralysis. I would throw in a few bucks to help get him home. 

Archived