Family in desperate bid to bring home Brit dad after motorbike accident in Koh Samui left him in coma

webfact

19 hours ago, CarolJadzia said:

Our travel Insurance, issued by our Motorcycle Insurers in the UK, fully included riding motorcycles.

We specifically paid extra to make sure it covered us while riding hire motorcycles in Thailand. 

Although I expect most people will not bother with specific motorcycle inclusion in the policy and just hope they don't fall off! 

I'd hold off judgment unless and until you have actually had a claim paid out.  A big one.  Insurance agents and advertisements promise all kinds of things.  Then they have people in the back room whose sole job is to figure out why they don't have to pay.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd hold off judgment unless and until you have actually had a claim paid out.  A big one.  Insurance agents and advertisements promise all kinds of things.  Then they have people in the back room whose sole job is to figure out why they don't have to pay.

Like I said, it's our own bike insurers in the UK that sorted cover, we did not need a claim while in Thailand, but have had cause to claim in the UK and they have always dealt with it without issue. That is why we used them. Not all insurance is just out to rip you off. Some do provide the service they suggest they do, it's good for business. 

On 8/12/2016 at 9:22 AM, DavisH said:

Good post. Anyone not in possession of a motorbike licence from their home country should NOT be allowed to rent a bike. Period. Inexperienced riders + road conditions + Thai driving mentality / law enforcement = a  recipe for disaster. 

Agreed, but the wider context is simply who is going to enforce this rule? The renters of the motorbikes which are effectively mom and pop type businesses? Can't imagine them turning away business. The police?   TBH many of the locals, Thais and expats alike ride bikes without licences so the police already have their hands full with that issue. 

The only real solution would be to properly licence and inspect all bike renters, but for that to happen there would need to be a complete paradigm shift in approach and attitude, which is wishful thinking.

I wish the lad and his family the very best.  Experience is a great teacher I hope he survives to learn from this. We were all young once and did bloody stupid things without thought of the consequences. Really sad to some posters negative comments about this accident.

Archived