Thai police say wave of bomb blasts in central and south of the country are not linked to Islamic terrorism

webfact

".. ruled out international terrorism .."  Ok, so they know who did it then? Go get them and lock them up. :coffee1:

And while you are at it, issue all Thai citizens with tracking Sim cards. That would be a smarter move than just requiring tourists to have them? :whistling:

Jeez, this all too easy.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIKt - what a load of rubbish - you cannot stereotype all the contributors to this forum in the same way you cannot stereotype all Muslims, all Thais, all Army etc etc. I 'claim' to be a farang from a democratic country and I do not see where your argument is going there; my morals are good and I do not take advice from my wife - anything else? Oh yes - the referendum was voted for by the Thai people - that is democracy never mind how it was achieved - the UK Brexit vote was democratic although the public were mislead. Do you see British peole on the streets closing Heathrow airport,  shooting their Police and fellow countrymen? 

I say leave the government of Thailand to the Thai people and if you don't like it - I'll send you directions to Suvarnabhumi.

9 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

Plausible. IF it were ISIL (sorry, lol) related much more damage done and lives taken.

I don't think IS send it's most lethal warriors for every attack.

My guess is that many or most of terrorists are just any idiots sympathizing with IS. The possibility of forming a group depends on local mosques etc.

IS is fighting a war in Syria and Iraq, it's connections to the horrible terror attacks are not always clear, except that many perpetrators sympathized with IS.

10 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

You don't consider the BBC to be part of the international media, who were supposedly attributing this to dissent over the recent vote, according to the poster I was disagreeing with ?

Indeed, I do most certainly agree the BBC has played a major part in the lying propagandist agenda that is mainstream media. To their eternal shame. Only the truly incredulous even listen to them now. You really should broaden your horizons.

if southern terrorists don't claim responsibility then what was the point, unless they claim responsibility then the police are likely correct - political motivation

as I have said many times, if Thaksin doesn't get his own way he will make every effort to destroy Thailand but he will not have the ball  s to take responsibility as that would be counter productive to his reputation or what is left of it

16 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

Indeed, I do most certainly agree the BBC has played a major part in the lying propagandist agenda that is mainstream media. To their eternal shame. Only the truly incredulous even listen to them now. You really should broaden your horizons.

The UK has gone to war together with their big brother.

The media will obey. No more truth from there, of course.

So they are saying the Redshirts committed these crimes, let us look at this in a logical way. The outcome of the referendum was only known in the week which would have left the terrorists with a couple of days to plan the operation, obtain the explosives, mobile phones etc, get the explosives into the area, scout targets, arrange the bomb makers, arrange the logistical support needed in the target areas, arrange for the bomber which place the bombs and arrange for the escape of the people involved. I think ISIS would have been proud if they were able to execute this kind of operation in a couple of days. The more logical explanation is that it had less to do about the referendum and more about the day it all happened on or around. This date was known upfront and was the target date, the fact of the referendum outcome may serve as an extra bonus as the 3 southern provinces voted against the constitution. The thought of Redshirts committing these acts so far from their home bases and on mothers day are fantasy flights by desperate people. 

54 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Given the date, and coordination, this actually looks more like internecine strife between Army factions (Wong Thewan and Burupha Phayak)? 

I'll leave it at that, can't say anymore.

Rubbish, if this was the case the bomb blasts would have been in very different locations.

29 minutes ago, smedly said:

if southern terrorists don't claim responsibility then what was the point, unless they claim responsibility then the police are likely correct - political motivation

as I have said many times, if Thaksin doesn't get his own way he will make every effort to destroy Thailand but he will not have the ball  s to take responsibility as that would be counter productive to his reputation or what is left of it

Absolutely the purest BS I have read all day, and their is no shortage on this forum today. You say it many, many times but we ignore it every time because we know your pandering motivation - and its not altruistic towards  a peaceful democratic Thailand.

5 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Stupidity personified.

No more needs to be said.

What an idiotic statement to make on behalf of the police, what did he think would happen? The bombers would first send him an email to say we're coming or what about a line message? Don't tell me, the message is in the spam box and they didn't see it! This is really amazing Thailand at its best!!

the only time someone can stand up and say we know a certain someone did NOT do it

is when they already know who did it.

May need to push selections, sorry i mean elections back a year or two now,

until the country is safe again.

Edited by mki8

6 minutes ago, Falcon said:

What an idiotic statement to make on behalf of the police, what did he think would happen? The bombers would first send him an email to say we're coming or what about a line message? Don't tell me, the message is in the spam box and they didn't see it! This is really amazing Thailand at its best!!

Yes, it would be interesting to know how a Thai person interprets the police statement. Couldn't any of you with Thai wives or other Thai that can relate to Western thinking, ask them how they interpret the police statement.

It could be some kind of cultural thing that only Asian people understand?

Could it maybe mean that "we really WISH this was not international terrorism" or something like that ??   ;)

26 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

So they are saying the Redshirts committed these crimes, let us look at this in a logical way. The outcome of the referendum was only known in the week which would have left the terrorists with a couple of days to plan the operation, obtain the explosives, mobile phones etc, get the explosives into the area, scout targets, arrange the bomb makers, arrange the logistical support needed in the target areas, arrange for the bomber which place the bombs and arrange for the escape of the people involved. I think ISIS would have been proud if they were able to execute this kind of operation in a couple of days. The more logical explanation is that it had less to do about the referendum and more about the day it all happened on or around. This date was known upfront and was the target date, the fact of the referendum outcome may serve as an extra bonus as the 3 southern provinces voted against the constitution. The thought of Redshirts committing these acts so far from their home bases and on mothers day are fantasy flights by desperate people. 

i like your logical way of thinking, but you are missing one scenario which i cannot state,

it does seem these attacks were well planned, like something you would need a big organized team to pull off so quickly

ok not the reds, they are not that organized or disciplined, and its home turf

maybe these 3 provinces upset or disagreed with someone recently ?

how come pattaya or koh chang was left alone ?

33 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

if it was them then they could have planned it for months and if they didn't like the result then it's all in place already.

It is Terrorism, whether home grown of foreign, plain and simple.

Now it is time to get serious, whether from the Separist or a certain political group. Find them, kill them, they have little regard for life so send them on!!

1 minute ago, Franky Bear said:

if it was them then they could have planned it for months and if they didn't like the result then it's all in place already.

Too much of a risk to put your whole organisation at risk for a maybe result. The other factor is they have never done this type of complicated operation before. This was well planned by people that knew what they were doing not by first timers. The Redshirts have done M79, grenade and gun attacks thats been proven but never this type of attack. Remember during the last protest we were present by flimsy Redshirt bombs that never detonated. 

1 minute ago, gchurch259 said:

Now it is time to get serious, whether from the Separist or a certain political group. Find them, kill them, they have little regard for life so send them on!!

what if they are not hiding ?

5 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Too much of a risk to put your whole organisation at risk for a maybe result. The other factor is they have never done this type of complicated operation before. This was well planned by people that knew what they were doing not by first timers. The Redshirts have done M79, grenade and gun attacks thats been proven but never this type of attack. Remember during the last protest we were present by flimsy Redshirt bombs that never detonated. 

Too much of a risk? This is real low level stuff. Bombs made in a living room. It's easy to plan, make the bombs. The result comes in. the bombers go to pre planned places. And there you go.

7 minutes ago, gchurch259 said:

it is terrorism....no grey area here.

1 hour ago, Holy Cinema said:

Not entirely accurate, it all depends on what was available to them and how long they had to plan and prepare.

anyone intending such actions with intent to kill and wound and not just scare so to use such an event for political gain, would not be so cheap to not spend 100 baht on a box of nails.

25 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Absolutely the purest BS I have read all day, and their is no shortage on this forum today. You say it many, many times but we ignore it every time because we know your pandering motivation - and its not altruistic towards  a peaceful democratic Thailand.

what on earth are you talking about, have you taken your meds today

you do understand why terrorists do what they do and why those creating terror in the south would want to claim responsibility for their achievements - it is called leverage, if we don't get what we want we will escalate - this is typical were a group have a specific goal in mind

A motive were responsibility is not claimed is something entirely different were the group or individual involved will not want to be associated as such but still wants the death and destruction, it is retribution and to an extent revenge fueled by hate and in the case of Asia - possibly loss of face, it is extremely divisive were no particular gain is sought - just revenge and the need to destroy what they can't have or what was taken away    

25 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

Too much of a risk? This is real low level stuff. Bombs made in a living room. It's easy to plan, make the bombs. The result comes in. the bombers go to pre planned places. And there you go.

If it was this easy the southern terrorist would have planted bombs all over the country by now. It is not as easy as you think. 

There are some valid points by the RTP to discount the southern insurgents and ISILThe government must realize that there are other groups that are anti junta. The junta government must look inwards as well as outwards.

The RTA is not a cohesive as before and there are many officers that felt they have been ignored in their promotion because they don't belong to a certain clique. We know that there are many water melon soldiers. Anti junta group is not only the red or yellow shirts. The junta should not over react and target the either coloured shirts if they have no evidence as this will aggravate the situation. This is not Thaksin fight and he is not stupid to make himself public enemy number one and he will not jeopardize the wealth of his family and close friends to damage the country. 

1 minute ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If it was this easy the southern terrorist would have planted bombs all over the country by now. It is not as easy as you think. 

yes it is. The biggest thing is having the balls to do it. They are also not as stupid as you think. they know if they did go balls out all over the country they would get hit hard. Terrorists, although evil have smart people directing them.

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There are some valid points by the RTP to discount the southern insurgents and ISILThe government must realize that there are other groups that are anti junta. The junta government must look inwards as well as outwards.

The RTA is not a cohesive as before and there are many officers that felt they have been ignored in their promotion because they don't belong to a certain clique. We know that there are many water melon soldiers. Anti junta group is not only the red or yellow shirts. The junta should not over react and target the either coloured shirts if they have no evidence as this will aggravate the situation. This is not Thaksin fight and he is not stupid to make himself public enemy number one and he will not jeopardize the wealth of his family and close friends to damage the country. 

Probably the best post i've read. Keep all options open. No one really knows anything yet.

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Agreed - if the Red Shirts want to challenge the government all they need to do is get a million supporters out on the streets in their strongholds and hold a peaceful demonstration to challenge the government and restore democracy. They would claim the high moral ground and then it would be down to the junta how they handled that. If they started a repetion of 2010 and began shooting they would have lost the plot both nationally and internationally and then we would be in a whole different ballgame. That said no-one seems to want to claim these which is interesting. The Guardian has some interesting speculation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/12/thailand-attacks-who-are-likely-perpetrators?CMP=share_btn_fb

This statement "Royal Thai Police official Col. Krisana Patanacharoen said it was too soon say who was behind the attacks, but "we are sure that it is not linked to terrorism."   have a familiar connotation known from case in Koh Tao. They know already, but didn't get the culprits in their custody.  Quid pro quo again?

Maybe the army should do the investigation under "terrorism act" or similar law?