Thai police chief suspects bomb and arson attacks are politically connected

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"... time is on their side..."

Is that a confirmation they are waiting in the wings to get back to raping the country?

"... the Junta has made so many enemies, ..."

Well what would you expect, he's trying to get a lot of things back to an acceptable situation as in a civil society, therefore he has enemies - the folks who don't want change because it interrupts their chance at the trough. Not rocket science.

You are actually funny. He isn't trying to get anything back to an acceptable situation, he is trying to cement the power the elite hold over Thailand and he succeeded in throwing the country back several decades. Time is most definitely on the side of people who want a true democracy, and yes that includes the red shirts.

Raping the country ? The military has been raping the country for over a decade, and without any accountability or electoral mandate, no checks and balances nothing of the sort.

How long are you in Thailand ? Two weeks ? Thanks for the laugh, always amusing to hear absolute <deleted>.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN10N09R

To quote:-

No one was killed or seriously wounded on Friday in two blasts in the beach town of Patong on Phuket island or the two explosions in the beach province of Phang Nga. Authorities also defused two explosive devices in Phuket on Wednesday, police said.

End quote.

Wednesday? Is this true? The police found bombs on Phuket on Wednesday.

A diversion ? I am responding to your ludicrous claim that he is "trying to get a lot of things back to an acceptable situation as in a civil society"

In a civil society people are free to express their opinions, without draconian laws preventing them from doing so. In a civil society people aren't rounded up for attitude adjustment sessions, or being dragged for a military court for liking or sharing Facebook posts. The list goes on and on. You must really have your head in the sand, but Thailand isn't going anywhere near a civil society with this lot. That's why the list of enemies is so big, it has nothing to do with "access to the trough" The military has always been expert in that department.

Meanwhile, just as with the Erawan bombings, there is no evidence "domestic political enemies of the junta" are behind this.

Edited by sjaak327

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

"Police chief suspects bomb and arson attacks are politically connected"

Way to go Sherlock...

winnie

Hey, nothing gets past these guys... They are SHARP!

Except of course, for the police guy early in the day who the media reported as saying the HH bombings were probably due to some personal dispute.

Cant people lay off their know-it-all sarcasm here at thaivisa just for one moment its like a site infected with sarcasm :/

If this is domestic anti-government isnt it way way way over the line ? i dont know how these people think but had an impression that some things were sacred to them like the king and queen and maybe religion too ? taking in consideration that :

- bombs in hua hin, kings town

- on the queens birthday

- placed bombs at a temple

- tourist areas

I mean wouldnt look at these together ? they go at the royal family, religion (temple), tourism, government officials (police) - dont tell me people with this set of targets have a large backing in thailand in any way.

Looking at the above i would suspect anti thailand and not 'just'anti government, and either some strange criminal syndicate (erawan conclusion) or the standard islamic way of drawing attention.

Just cant get my head around that the above would be represented in large groups in thailand, but maybe im wrong ( am not deep into all the old redshirt stuff but my understanding was they did back up both religion and the king ? ).

20 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

So, perhaps they might have had a clue something bigger was coming. But, based on the details in the news report, would have been hard to trigger a national alert based solely on what's disclosed in the article.

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

Right, a bit like all of those junta fanboys trying to talk what is most definitely wrong right.

Pot kettle black.

I am still waiting for factual evidence that the red shirts or Thaksin are behind this. I very much doubt they are, as there is no incentive, time is on their side. Let's face it, the Junta has made so many enemies, there is a long list of potential bombers. Did Prayuth chase another minority back to China lately ?

Time is not on Thaksin's side, he's in his mid 60s with no hope of returning to Thailand as a free man with the passing of the new constitution. What better target than the provinces generating the highest tourist income for Thailand to damage the junta., plus they all voted for the constitution? I agree with Khun Thitinan, if the separatists wanted to make a strong statement they would go for Bangkok, no point in a bomb here and there in the south, damaging tourism doesn't do anything for their cause.

2 minutes ago, Siripon said:

Time is not on Thaksin's side, he's in his mid 60s with no hope of returning to Thailand as a free man with the passing of the new constitution. What better target than the provinces generating the highest tourist income for Thailand to damage the junta., plus they all voted for the constitution? I agree with Khun Thitinan, if the separatists wanted to make a strong statement they would go for Bangkok, no point in a bomb here and there in the south, damaging tourism doesn't do anything for their cause.

I think it most certainly is. The junta will "disappear" from the frontlines next year anyway. Of course everyone knows they don't really disappear, but a loophole will be found in the new constitution and the question will be if the elite will dare to stage another coup.

I doubt Thaksin is behind this, he doesn't have anything to win as it stands. Whether or not the constitution has been approved makes no difference, as a no vote would have led to the same constitution and the same time frame.

But I agree, it's easy to point blame to the bogey man from Dubai, just as they tried with the Erawan bombings, whilst in fact, it was their own policies that resulted in that bombing, I have little doubt the same is happening here.

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

I reckon aliens did it!

alien.jpg

Either foreigners, or people who have been alienated by the junta's single-minded refusal to pursue any real reconciliation in this country. 

well it "is" red

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I think it most certainly is. The junta will "disappear" from the frontlines next year anyway. Of course everyone knows they don't really disappear, but a loophole will be found in the new constitution and the question will be if the elite will dare to stage another coup.

I doubt Thaksin is behind this, he doesn't have anything to win as it stands. Whether or not the constitution has been approved makes no difference, as a no vote would have led to the same constitution and the same time frame.

But I agree, it's easy to point blame to the bogey man from Dubai, just as they tried with the Erawan bombings, whilst in fact, it was their own policies that resulted in that bombing, I have little doubt the same is happening here.

Time is not on Thaksin's side for sure in regards to returning to Thailand, plus his daughter and son are facing prosecution and that is all he cares about. I don't know if he is behind this but he has shown by his previous actions that he approves of violence. Remember his call to seize the provincial halls and 'as soon as the first bullet is fired I will be there.'

Only he wasn't, he was shopping with his daughter in the Paris malls.

3 hours ago, djjamie said:

Well that is starting to become a no brainer.

To err is human (Unless your a red supporter who are never wrong) . I was wrong about the Eriwan shrine suspects. I hope I am wrong here too because if I am right we will see a lot more deaths by minority red terrorists.

I strongly support the majority here and I am confident they will  not be swayed by this violent minority groups causing death and fear in Thailand.

If you had been wrong about the Erawan Shrine suspects, why don`t you just keep quiet instead of speculating again? And how do you support a majority here, all I can read from you is just putting the blame on a certain group without any evidence.

17 minutes ago, Siripon said:

Time is not on Thaksin's side for sure in regards to returning to Thailand, plus his daughter and son are facing prosecution and that is all he cares about. I don't know if he is behind this but he has shown by his previous actions that he approves of violence. Remember his call to seize the provincial halls and 'as soon as the first bullet is fired I will be there.'

Only he wasn't, he was shopping with his daughter in the Paris malls.

I think Thaksin knows a return to Thailand is difficult, the new constitution doesn't change anything in that aspect, unless of course he was extended an amnesty the coup mongers awarded themselves, in fact it only need to be for past crimes, not future crimes :)

Ask yourself this simple question, who has something to gain by this, is disrupting a few tourists here or there going to make the Junta go away ? I don't think so.

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I think Thaksin knows a return to Thailand is difficult, the new constitution doesn't change anything in that aspect, unless of course he was extended an amnesty the coup mongers awarded themselves, in fact it only need to be for past crimes, not future crimes :)

Ask yourself this simple question, who has something to gain by this, is disrupting a few tourists here or there going to make the Junta go away ? I don't think so.

It won't make the junta go away but it certainly embarrasses them, being in Hua Hin and on the Queen's birthday, especially as Prayud's professional military life has involved service to the Queen.  Plus it will damage tourism, a money spinner. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Is that a confirmation they are waiting in the wings to get back to raping the country?

Uh, Thai politics is all about which group will get the biggest piece of the pie, or raping the country if you will. I could start an argument that that is an inevitable outcome of capitalism, but that would be digressing from the topic at hand.

As anyone else I think this latest attacks is scary, and sad for Thailand and more so due to the fact that the participants in the more than 10 year ongoing political conflict not previously have been providing coordinated bomb attacks in tourist areas as we see now, and it will clearly be seen as an escalation if these groups are behind.

1 hour ago, brokenshin said:

Cant people lay off their know-it-all sarcasm here at thaivisa just for one moment its like a site infected with sarcasm :/

If this is domestic anti-government isnt it way way way over the line ? i dont know how these people think but had an impression that some things were sacred to them like the king and queen and maybe religion too ? taking in consideration that :

- bombs in hua hin, kings town

- on the queens birthday

- placed bombs at a temple

- tourist areas

I mean wouldnt look at these together ? they go at the royal family, religion (temple), tourism, government officials (police) - dont tell me people with this set of targets have a large backing in thailand in any way.

Looking at the above i would suspect anti thailand and not 'just'anti government, and either some strange criminal syndicate (erawan conclusion) or the standard islamic way of drawing attention.

Just cant get my head around that the above would be represented in large groups in thailand, but maybe im wrong ( am not deep into all the old redshirt stuff but my understanding was they did back up both religion and the king ? ).

I think your first contribution was good. Not altogether clear but I respect your comments. Keep up the good work and never fear to express your opinion. There are those few out there who lie in ambush ready to critisize anyone or anything rather than make constructive comment themselves.  My advice is to ignore them and press on with expressing your own opinion.

As usual we have the PM blaming one lot, some police blaming another and the Police Chief probably the most sensible of them all. To put this down as 'local sabotage' is ridiculous- this was a co-ordinated attack and no sensible person is going to buy that theory.

From the type of attacks and the devices used it is pretty clear to me (and I was right about Erawan as well) that this has emanated from the south-  nothing to do with the redshirts. Anything along those lines is just tinfoil hat mentality. 

Partly in response to the 'Yes' decision on the draft referendum and a definite two fingers at the Gov't given the date of the attacks- not a good idea.

5 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Right, a bit like all of those junta fanboys trying to talk what is most definitely wrong right.

Pot kettle black.

I am still waiting for factual evidence that the red shirts or Thaksin are behind this. I very much doubt they are, as there is no incentive, time is on their side. Let's face it, the Junta has made so many enemies, there is a long list of potential bombers. Did Prayuth chase another minority back to China lately ?

Adding to the argument against it being redshirts:

The majority of high visibility political demonstrations by redshirts have been in Bangkok where they have maximum political impact.  The rest have been in the north and northeast. 

These were well coordinated, geographically dispersed attacks of a style never done by the redshirts.  They took place in the south, where the redshirts have no network and where the local dialect is very different form central, northern or Isaan Thai.  Any northern or northeastern Thais would have stuck out like sore thumbs.

I have no doubts that the junta wants to pin this on Thaksin in some way, but these crimes were most likely committed by southern insurgents.  Running a distant second on the suspect list would be an outside group angry at the government's treatment of Chinese Uyghurs and Muslims in the south.

I certainly would like to wait for factual evidence, but with the Thai police in charge.....