Foreigners urged to “exercise extreme caution” in Thailand, as tourism minister visits those injured in Hua Hin blast

rooster59

Foreigners urged to “exercise extreme caution” in Thailand, as tourism minister visits those injured in Hua Hin blast

13920235_10206073610234132_4073629286237559897_o.jpg

Image:  Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn

BANGKOK:-- Foreign embassies in Thailand have updated their travel advice for anyone travelling in or two Thailand in the aftermath of co-ordinated bomb attacks that left four people dead and dozens more wounded.

The British Embassy, while it continues to advise for all but essential travel to Thailand’s deep south and the provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla and Yala located on the Thai-Malay border, an updated advisory recommends tourists to “exercise extreme caution” in Thailand in the wake of the bombings.

A statement from the FCO read: “There have been multiple explosions in tourist areas across Thailand on 11 and 12 August. We are in close contact with local authorities and urgently seeking more information. We stand ready to provide assistance to any British nationals involved.”

The Association of British Travel Agents also urged tourists to remain vigilant and follow the advice from the Foreign Office.

Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's (DFAT) Smartraveller website advises travellers to avoid the areas of the recent bombings and follow the advice of the local authorities.

While the Australian government has not raised the level of warning, people are advised to exercise heightened caution while travelling throughout Thailand.

“We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack, including in Bangkok and Phuket. You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and where possible monitor the local media, including social media, for information about possible new safety or security risks.”

On Friday, the US Embassy in Bangkok posted an update on its website which read: “Travellers to the area should avoid the affected areas, review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.”

The US Department of Consular Affairs also recommends its citizens in Thailand follow its Facebook and Twitter pages for up to date security information, or to download its mobile app.

The embassies of Japan, China, Kuwait and Sweden all urged citizens to “exercise extreme caution” and avoid crowded places.

Germany also advised its nationals to show “extreme caution”, with the German foreign ministry adding “Further attacks cannot be ruled out. Therefore the foreign ministry advises extreme caution. People travelling to Thailand are recommended to avoid public places and crowds of people, to follow the media closely.”

Three German nationals were injured in the second bomb blast in Hua Hin on Thursday night.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s tourism minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul went to Hua Hin and San Paulo hospitals to visit the foreigners injured in Thursday’s blast.

She told CNN that the foreigners remain in hospital where they are in a stable condition and expected to make full recoveries.

She added that Thailand is quick to learn from incidents of this nature referring to the Erawan Shrine bomb blast, with countermeasures quickly put into place.

“This is not the nature of the Thai people. Normally we are a very friendly country destination,” she said. “I think Thailand has passed many ups and downs and I think we all know the world has changed.

“I think people do return to us, even after last year's incident. I think (tourists) understand the true nature of the Thai people.”

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard her on CNN but couldn't catch much of what she said.      The only thing I've read is that printed above so if LoS has learned from the Erawan bomb did she manage,  this time,  words of regret and condolence  ?

If Erawan also led to quick countermeasures what happened to them yesterday  ?

"A statement from the FCO read: “There have been multiple explosions in tourist areas across Thailand on 11 and 12 August. We are in close contact with local authorities and urgently seeking more information. We stand ready to provide assistance to any British nationals involved.”"

Yeah... That isn't an assurance I would take to the bank..

If you dig back a few pages here in the Thai News category on TV you'll find a thread regarding the Thai government poo-poo'ing the countries that were issuing travel warnings on Thailand for the referendum vote.  

Not that the foreign governments had any special prediction powers but you gotta know that some things make other things more likely to happen.  Yes, things happen out of the blue and can take everyone by surprise but if there are dark clouds in the sky grabbing an umbrella seems to make sense.  

And no, I don't think anybody could have predicted these bombings  but I think you could have at least anticipated that violence of some sort might be possible during or after the vote given the past history of political conflict in Thailand.  

From now on when foreign governments issue travel warnings, perhaps everyone, including the Thai government, should take them more seriously.  

Instead of focusing on losing a few bookings from people who avoid Thailand for a week or two, think about how long it'll take for tourism to recover if you're wrong - like they were this time.

11 blasts and still complete denial of terrorism......just political issues that Thailand is "quick to learn from"......

Put the cops out on the beat....kick them out of their pillboxes and do some foot work and keep a look out for the safety of people!!

IMO, the presence of police may deter these idiots.

The tourism minister would have is believe "...that Thailand is quick to learn from incidents of this nature...", (referring to the Erawan Shrine bomb blast).

If that is so, then this latest incident must also show that it is just as quick at forgetting about them (http://junjao.com/board/index.php?topic=13041.0)

As clockman appropriately points out above, it's a pity, they are not as 'quick to learn' from their far more lethal road incidents!

She added that Thailand is quick to learn from incidents of this nature referring to the Erawan Shrine bomb blast, with countermeasures quickly put into place.

what about learning from the last 80 years of coups and referendums? a minority seizing power from the masses does not generally work anywhere. wonder what counter measures have been put in place. stopping bombings like this is basically impossible. would have more luck dealing with the issues that are making people want to do the bombing in the first place.

And now this is where all that nepotism, corruption and incompetence comes in - people floundering at the top of their official trees, who shouldn't even be there, and who wouldn't be if Thailand were a meritocracy.

I think an even greater evil than these insurgent terrorist bombings might be the blinkered (or completely in-denial) analysis and reaction to them by 'the powers that be', which will mean they are too busy fitting their political opponents up for them whilst deliberately avoiding following the real clues. Then these things will happen again and again.

59 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

11 blasts and still complete denial of terrorism......just political issues that Thailand is "quick to learn from"......

Put the cops out on the beat....kick them out of their pillboxes and do some foot work and keep a look out for the safety of people!!

I could have not said it better. The police force seems like some sort of boys club here. Once you attain any ranking you have fluffers/handmaidens at your beck and call. Its a sham. These handmaidens should be out patrolling the streets not grooming some high status official. 

Come to Thailand, give us your hard earned money...but be extremely cautious, not go get raped and killed, not to be mowed down by a speed boat, not to die in a bus or van accident, not to be bombed to bits, because we are just too idiotic to get any of our problems under control!

The coming weeks  will tell the story , whether or not this is a one off incident , the planning is well organized , which suggest that it may well lead to other attacks , this isn't the way to remove the Junta , there is a better way and instead of co-ordinating  bomb attacks, they should be co-ordinating a peoples uprising,  bomb attacks just piss everyone off.................................................:coffee1: 

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Years back there was a newspaper article,     in the Post i think,   about policing here and it was said that Thailand's hot climate meant that the BIB couldn't be expected to walk the beat as in other countries.

By extension the rainy season must be too wet and the cool season just too cold for these delicate blooms  !

In addition,   over my time here I've done a lot of driving including lots of long runs and I have never seen a police mobile patrol of any description pull a driver or motorcyclist over so too hot,   wet or cold to get out of their vehicle   ?

31 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I could have not said it better. The police force seems like some sort of boys club here. Once you attain any ranking you have fluffers/handmaidens at your beck and call. Its a sham. These handmaidens should be out patrolling the streets not grooming some high status official. 

Yeah, like it used to be in Thailand when the cops were friendly and efficient.  Things have really gone down hill.  

40 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Right.  These warnings are for people who don't understand statistics.  Crossing the street is much more likely to kill you than a bomb.

If I understand the statistics, the bombing risk simply adds to the road risk, it doesn't replace it, as in either-or - so bombing does make Thailand more dangerous and targeting tourists makes it much more dangerous in target locations. I don't think this can be dismissed as insignificant due to the generally dangerous road - boat - rail traffic environment in the country.

Of course tourism will take a hit. Even more so than after last year's Erawan Shrine bombing. You might be able to argue that last year's bombing was a just a one off perpetrated by crazy Uighurs. But 11 bomb blasts over a half-dozen places? This is much more serious. The Chinese tours groups and the foreigners coming here with families to enjoy the beaches and temples will definitely drop off. Even the young backpackers will think twice of holidaying here as their parents tell them "don't go there!" Fortunately there's one group of tourists that are hardier than the others and will endure risk and danger where others will not...the sex tourists. Maybe the tourism minister should try promoting them to come here. 

5 minutes ago, tuanku said:

If I understand the statistics, the bombing risk simply adds to the road risk, it doesn't replace it, as in either-or - so bombing does make Thailand more dangerous and targeting tourists makes it much more dangerous in target locations. I don't think this can be dismissed as insignificant due to the generally dangerous road - boat - rail traffic environment in the country.

That's correct, but the risk it adds is completely negligible next to the huge road risk and can therefore be safely ignored.  Many more lives would be saved by lowering the speed limit or having more effective enforcement.  But people respond to novelty and vividness which do not accurately reflect the scale of the risk, which is the important point.  If you feel better avoiding flower pots, go right ahead since it's harmless.  Or you buy an amulet.

The avalanche is about to come down big time very very soon. You cannot swipe all issues under the big Thai rug and expect, that everything is just "sabai sabai". 

An interesting angle is revealed in this article and the future will prove it right or wrong. 
http://www.thenewatlas.org/2016/08/thailands-bombing-likely-suspects.html

The writing is all over the wall; be warned and keep away from crowds for the time being