how to paint galvanized steel beams

pokerkid

you'll need an etch primer;

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccjd069XbxcAGE0PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ddc-linuxmint&va=metal+etch+primer&hspart=ddc&hsimp=yhs-linuxmint

some acylic (water based) paints claim they can be used without but they will peel.

the fresher your gal is, the more you need to prime. if you can, use a small foam roller to apply it.

after, use an oil based paint to finish. (i hate painting :bah:)

cheers

mft

1 hour ago, manfredtillmann said:

you'll need an etch primer;

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccjd069XbxcAGE0PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ddc-linuxmint&va=metal+etch+primer&hspart=ddc&hsimp=yhs-linuxmint

some acylic (water based) paints claim they can be used without but they will peel.

the fresher your gal is, the more you need to prime. if you can, use a small foam roller to apply it.

after, use an oil based paint to finish. (i hate painting :bah:)

cheers

mft

Thanks for that. Do you now a good brand that sells that etch primer here ?

I'm currently refinishing a long section of outside wall that incorporates galvanised box beams, I'm using red oxide as a primer followed by gloss enamel - the previous sections were done the same way two years ago and they are holding up well.

7 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm currently refinishing a long section of outside wall that incorporates galvanised box beams, I'm using red oxide as a primer followed by gloss enamel - the previous sections were done the same way two years ago and they are holding up well.

while that might work on weathered / old gal it is definitely the wrong choice on new coatings.

by the way, red primer is a very old product, it was used on the titanic and the eiffel tower. it might even contain lead. there much better products available these days.

1 hour ago, manfredtillmann said:

while that might work on weathered / old gal it is definitely the wrong choice on new coatings.

by the way, red primer is a very old product, it was used on the titanic and the eiffel tower. it might even contain lead. there much better products available these days.

I accept it's the not the most modern technology but it's inexpensive and it does work, there's remarkably little rust showing on the Titanic by the way, if you look at the undersea pictures. (that was a joke BTW, before somebody points out that rust needs air also).

clean the metal with a de-greaser, and when it is dry wipe it down with a white vinegar dampen cloth,

the acid in the vinegar will etch the galvanism. then prime with a metal primer and paint.

I have tried it, it actually works.