Trying again. New small car.

Gonsalviz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, DavisH said:

..there were earlier reports about some rust spots under the door seals and other places. Nothing serious though, I haven't actually checked on that. Are you normally parked in the open or a covered area? I also had those rubber steering bit replaced.

Maybe you don't know, but you can ask about a software update for the ecm (ecu). It stops the vibration when you are in drive and at standstill. It's a free update. I had mine done a few months ago. It's much smoother now. Also found the car runs better on gasohol 95. 

Thank you for that information, as I didn't know about it, however I had noticed that the engine sometimes "misses a beat" and seems a little "lumpy" at times, so I will ask them about it when I take the car in this coming Friday.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 7:05 PM, DavisH said:

..there were earlier reports about some rust spots under the door seals and other places. Nothing serious though, I haven't actually checked on that. Are you normally parked in the open or a covered area? I also had those rubber steering bit replaced.

Maybe you don't know, but you can ask about a software update for the ecm (ecu). It stops the vibration when you are in drive and at standstill. It's a free update. I had mine done a few months ago. It's much smoother now. Also found the car runs better on gasohol 95. 

I took the car in last Friday on the way to hospital, and they are going to keep it for a week, which suits me and I asked them to do that software update and they said they would!!

The bad news is that whereas I thought Suzuki was going to cover the cost of fixing the Aircon, now they apparently aren't and it's going to cost me between 5000 and 6000 baht to do whatever they're going to do. I did try reasoning with them saying that the car had only done 19,000 km and was 3.9 years old, but I don't think I made any headway!

Should be ready by the end of the week and if I have to pay for the Aircon, then so be it, because for me it's essential in this country and whilst I'm still recovering from an operation, I really don't feel like arguing with them/need any hassle.

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

I took the car in last Friday on the way to hospital, and they are going to keep it for a week, which suits me and I asked them to do that software update and they said they would!!

The bad news is that whereas I thought Suzuki was going to cover the cost of fixing the Aircon, now they apparently aren't and it's going to cost me between 5000 and 6000 baht to do whatever they're going to do. I did try reasoning with them saying that the car had only done 19,000 km and was 3.9 years old, but I don't think I made any headway!

Should be ready by the end of the week and if I have to pay for the Aircon, then so be it, because for me it's essential in this country and whilst I'm still recovering from an operation, I really don't feel like arguing with them/need any hassle.

That's a bit steep bust i guess its got to be done. My swift is ok for the air cond; its my honda aircond that seems to break down a lot. As warranty has run out you can always try a place like bquik. 

I have been in the same situation ,  trying to buy a reliable new car for 500,000. 1st I looked at Nissan and Mitsubishi only 3 cyl. engines 470,000 not enough Power to get out of its own way.

Honda Brio at 493,000 was very small. 

Narrowed it down to Suzuki Swift and Toyota Yaris. 

I test drove  both  cars twice and decided on the Yaris for

2 reasons

1 the Swift had much more road noise than the Yaris and the cvt transmission seemed very sluggish on the Swift.

I have had the Yaris 4 months now and it's a great little car. 507,000 out door with tax, tags and insurance 

Hope this helps

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Kinnock said:

If you want best to drive - Ford Fiesta (latest models seem to have sorted the gearbox issues - and dual clutch drives better than a CVT any day)

I had a Fiesta and it was horrible to drive, not enough leg room in the foot well to start with.

And when accelerating it drops down gears, over revs and is noisy, cvt much smoother an quieter.

And Ford servicing is a joke.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

I had a Fiesta and it was horrible to drive, not enough leg room in the foot well to start with.

And when accelerating it drops down gears, over revs and is noisy, cvt much smoother an quieter.

And Ford servicing is a joke.

Interesting how people's experiences of cars can vary so much.  I found that the smaller Hondas did not have enough leg room for me (felt like the seat needed to go back two more clicks, but it was at the end of the travel), and only the Ford had enough leg room - and I didn't even need to push the seat right back.  I was disappointed that the new BRV also has the same legroom issue as it looks like a useful small car (the Toyota Scienta is better, but still not up to the Ford levels of legroom).

There's been a long running and well documented issue of the earlier Ford dual clutch system, but later models and some of the upgraded older ones seem to work fine now.  The one I use (have done a lot of city driving plus some airport runs and a couple of long trips upcountry) is significantly better to drive than any CVT and feels a lot like a manual in use, except no need to change gear  - which I guess is why some supercars and performance motorcycles now use dual clutch systems.  Perhaps if you like the feel of a CVT you may not like dual clutch - which is much more like a manual in use - and dropping down gears when accelerating is exactly what you want with a non CVT system.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:40 PM, Kinnock said:

Interesting how people's experiences of cars can vary so much.  I found that the smaller Hondas did not have enough leg room for me (felt like the seat needed to go back two more clicks, but it was at the end of the travel), and only the Ford had enough leg room - and I didn't even need to push the seat right back.  I was disappointed that the new BRV also has the same legroom issue as it looks like a useful small car (the Toyota Scienta is better, but still not up to the Ford levels of legroom).

There's been a long running and well documented issue of the earlier Ford dual clutch system, but later models and some of the upgraded older ones seem to work fine now.  The one I use (have done a lot of city driving plus some airport runs and a couple of long trips upcountry) is significantly better to drive than any CVT and feels a lot like a manual in use, except no need to change gear  - which I guess is why some supercars and performance motorcycles now use dual clutch systems.  Perhaps if you like the feel of a CVT you may not like dual clutch - which is much more like a manual in use - and dropping down gears when accelerating is exactly what you want with a non CVT system.

It was the width of the leg room rather than the length that was the problem, my left leg was always pressed against the left side of the foot well and felt uncomfortable.

I much prefer driving manuals to automatics but of the automatics I've driven like the cvt of the last 2 cars I've owned (Lancer and Altis) the best.

• 7 months later...

We have a one year old Swift Sai3 in purple, the bonnet paintwork keeps dull very bad. The garage put polish on it and that last a couple of days, my wife brought expensive polish, but that just does the same. Is there a paint problem, does anyone else have same problem?

1 minute ago, phetpeter said:

We have a one year old Swift Sai3 in purple, the bonnet paintwork keeps dull very bad. The garage put polish on it and that last a couple of days, my wife brought expensive polish, but that just does the same. Is there a paint problem, does anyone else have same problem?

Sounds like a lack of clear coat....Does the roof do the same....?

4 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

No, just the bonnet,  That what I believe to except dealership doesn't think so, now all I gotta do is get them to contact Suzuki and confirm a free respray, or a replacement bonnet.

I would put money (10bht) on that it is lack of clear coat paint. And yes they can strip back the paint and respray plus the correct amount of clear coat. Only prob may be that the hood colour may look a little different to the rest, but l would go for it..

Archived