Trying again. New small car.

Gonsalviz

51 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

What are you trafficking behind there.............illegal immigrants? ......or dumping mother-in-law's body?....555........:D!

a few ants, perhaps. i buy the stuff for thb 20 / bale when it's in season as mulch for my garden. saves me watering every day in the dry times... the mil would have fitted as a cover layer over the top, poor thing. she only ways 40kgs or so...

be good

mft

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried a Suzuki Ciaz the other day, expecting it to be horrible like the Almera is, but it's actually not too bad. More Swift than Almera. It felt solid and not at all like a tin can.

The March is actually worse than the model it replaced a few years back, so I wouldn't recommend one of them. In fact, I would only consider one of the Suzukis in this segment, the rest really are a cut below.

If you can stretch the pennies a bit more then a City/Jazz or Fiesta are miles better, although the Hondas were always guzzly and the Fiesta has/had gearbox issues.

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

If it wasn't broken why are they trying to "fix" it.

I have recently purchased a Yaris. I had been shopping for quite awhile and looked at 5 cars under 500,000. Mitsubishi Mirage around 470,000 and Nissan Mirage same price but 3  cylinder  engines,  underpowered for me. 

Honda Brio nice car at 493,000 but vdry small. Suzuki Swift at 478,000 was very nice but road noise and automatic transmission sluggish turned me off . 

I wound up buying the Yaris at 507,000 out the door with taxes and insurance PD.  

Nit have 600 kilos and am very happy with the  car. 

Toyota in Buriram was great to deal with and Pim speaks English 

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

The suzuki swift is 1.2 4 cylinder, 91hp. It's easy to drive and just returned from Kanchanaburi. Lots of heavy traffic and 530 km round trip. Still plenty of fuel left. It's great around town, but up country driving really needs a larger vehicle. The short wheelbase makes it uncomfortable on poor and bumpy roads. I normally get around 14-15km/l on e10 gasohol. 

Only 14/15 km/L..........thats poor,my Almera manages 20.6 on E20 and is a much bigger car   :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

Only 14/15 km/L..........thats poor,my Almera manages 20.6 on E20 and is a much bigger car   :thumbsup:

you can do e20? i always put 91 in, stupid me. the 'operating instructions' are all in thai. is there a link, a download, something, please?

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Unless you drive only on the highway I find that very hard to believe. Mine gets 30 + km/l at a constant 60 km/h, but I live in Nonthaburi and often stuck in traffic. I get slightly better performance and economy on E10 over E20.  

I would like to hear from other almera drivers who get 20+ km/l on average and also know the driving conditions. 

8 hours ago, patyh said:

If you don't mind the lack of a boot space, the Mirage is one of the better Small car. It drives really well in a city..but a bit too light for highway. The 1200 cc, 3 Cyl Engine is good enough for the city and some highway if you're patient enough.. Mitsubishi tend to be great with their option. If your missy will be driving from time to time, I recommend the Anti-Collision option.. That will save your bumper repair cost.. 

If you need a boot space, the Mitsubishi Attrage is pretty good.. Pretty cheap and has loads of options as well.. Same engine as the Mirage so do except slower acceleration. Big space in the rear and the boot. Though not as much leg room as the Almera of course. 

I am not a fan of CVT gearbox.. but the CVT would be a better option for better fuel economy and Bangkok Traffic. The CVT should not have a problem handling 4 passenger and carry on. Though I had the Manual Attrage.. It was just more fun to drive.  

Not according to "Top Gear Magazine" who gave The Mirage a 3/10 and went on to say:

" Thinking about buying a Mirage? Don't. Now you can't say we haven't warned you. Especially awful - Expensive, slow, horrid to drive. A mass of metal without sense or relish or ability or anything, really"

Full test here - http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mitsubishi/mirage

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Unless you drive only on the highway I find that very hard to believe. Mine gets 30 + km/l at a constant 60 km/h, but I live in Nonthaburi and often stuck in traffic. I get slightly better performance and economy on E10 over E20.  

I would like to hear from other almera drivers who get 20+ km/l on average and also know the driving conditions. 

My Almera is a manual and it is mainly used for our( GF and myself)  monthly trips down to Trang in southern Thailand from Pattaya a distance of 945 kms. which I do in the one day,so yes its mainly highway driving.It takes from 11 to 13 hours depending upon road/traffic conditions my speed is anything up to 115 kms/hr.

When I first got the car (early january last year) it was 10 months old with 16,000 kms on the clock and I averaged 20.8 kms/litre it now with 64,000 kms is returning 20.5/20.6 kms/litre ,pottering about down there just doing 60/70 kms/hour doesn,t make much difference fuel wise.

Last december with four adults and luggage we travelled from Pattaya to Krabi 925 kms and returned 20.5 kms/litre.

Only today I have sold the car on as I,ve been given a good deal on a new auto Sportech Almera which I shall pick up from the Nissan dealer in Trang............Nissan Pattaya could not compete with the deal I,ve got from them.

Everyone has their own opinion about what they need from a car,for me the Almera is the best value budget car you can get.....:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, properperson said:

Not according to "Top Gear Magazine" who gave The Mirage a 3/10 and went on to say:

" Thinking about buying a Mirage? Don't. Now you can't say we haven't warned you. Especially awful - Expensive, slow, horrid to drive. A mass of metal without sense or relish or ability or anything, really"

Full test here - http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mitsubishi/mirage

The main benefit of the mirage is that it's some 100 kg lighter than the other eco cars, so the economy and performance is good, especially with the manual transmission. There is. however, cost cutting everywhere, and I generally agree with the Top Gear report, having been a passenger in one. 

7 hours ago, petermik said:

My Almera is a manual and it is mainly used for our( GF and myself)  monthly trips down to Trang in southern Thailand from Pattaya a distance of 945 kms. which I do in the one day,so yes its mainly highway driving.It takes from 11 to 13 hours depending upon road/traffic conditions my speed is anything up to 115 kms/hr.

When I first got the car (early january last year) it was 10 months old with 16,000 kms on the clock and I averaged 20.8 kms/litre it now with 64,000 kms is returning 20.5/20.6 kms/litre ,pottering about down there just doing 60/70 kms/hour doesn,t make much difference fuel wise.

Last december with four adults and luggage we travelled from Pattaya to Krabi 925 kms and returned 20.5 kms/litre.

Only today I have sold the car on as I,ve been given a good deal on a new auto Sportech Almera which I shall pick up from the Nissan dealer in Trang............Nissan Pattaya could not compete with the deal I,ve got from them.

Everyone has their own opinion about what they need from a car,for me the Almera is the best value budget car you can get.....:thumbsup:

Fair enough, those are the sorts of figures to be expected for long distance driving. My wife always gets better mileage than me as she's a bit lighter footed. 

Actually, the best eco cars for economy now are the mazda 2 petrol and diesel, with the diesel being a bit better. It's the only model to qualify for phase 2 of the eco car project. 

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

Well, I get just over 17 km/l in mine. Manual and running on E20. Majority of time driven in central Bangkok traffic. So no, it's not over 20 km/l, but I think considering the size of the car and the driving conditions, it's pretty hard to beat.

Mazda 2 diesel might get slightly better figures but it's a lot smaller and a lot more expensive.

On 8/15/2016 at 8:54 PM, Kinnock said:

Depends on your priorities - best for resale value and running costs is probably the Toyota Vios or Honda City or perhaps Nissan March.

If you want best space and load capacity in a low cost car - Honda BR-V (or Almera if you wear a bag on head when driving)

If you want best to drive - Ford Fiesta (latest models seem to have sorted the gearbox issues - and dual clutch drives better than a CVT any day)

Bangkok Motorsale show at BITEC towards end of this month - often good deals on the less popular models.

But the answer to your question about cost/value (although not the most interesting or best to drive) is probably the Yaris.

I just had the pleasure of driving the new model  Ford Fiesta for a week while ours was in for the 4th new clutch, it had all the same issues ;) It's new body is nice, slight modifications on the interior but when all said and done you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig :wai:

3 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I just had the pleasure of driving the new model  Ford Fiesta for a week while ours was in for the 4th new clutch, it had all the same issues ;) It's new body is nice, slight modifications on the interior but when all said and done you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig :wai:

A friend at work has one - 2 years old this week - no gearbox issues.  Perhaps Fiesta's just don't like you?:lol:  But his did lock the doors with the key inside all by itself - so maybe they are sensitive to what we say about them?

Choices a bit limited really I have a 2011 Toyota Yaris 1.5L  auto pretty basic interior lacks heater or remote folding mirrors but good power and reliable  but not so economical as the engine and g/box are over 10 yrs old  and identical to the Vios so old technology as said the 2016 Vios now using the Altis g/box.   New Yaris really a bit large for a 1.2L  and lacks a heater or remote folding mirrors as which is standard on most others  and  probably down on power. Mazda 2 leaps ahead of competition but pretty pricey especially the diesels which are the pick.. Suzuki Swift has had consistently good reviews from the UK and Aus. but a new model due next year as is the Nissan March. Honda Brio has had some fairly critical reviews concerning finish etc. and a little lightweight I would regard it as  purely a town car. Almera and Attrage good value for what you get but would you want to be seen driving one?? All the Best

21 hours ago, bt2017 said:

Almera and Attrage good value for what you get but would you want to be seen driving one?? All the Best

Regarding looks, as a middle-aged bloke, i'd sooner be driving something big and a bit ugly than something small and cutesy.

21 hours ago, bt2017 said:

Almera and Attrage good value for what you get but would you want to be seen driving one?? All the Best

I would...just bought a new one,auto to replace my manual one.

50k+ in my last one in 18 months and never any issues....:thumbsup:

22 hours ago, bizader said:

If you like driving, buy Suzuki Swift, if you want practicality and hatchback, Toyota Yaris it is. If you want a Sedan, then its an Almera..these would be my options if I am looking for a new car in the THB 500k price point.

Only buy an Almera if you are blind, it must be the ugliest car ever produced.  As others have said if you can afford a few extra pennies get the Mazda 2, a great looking car or a Fiesta. Toyotas are poor drivers cars and Hondas overpriced.

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Only buy an Almera if you are blind, it must be the ugliest car ever produced.  As others have said if you can afford a few extra pennies get the Mazda 2, a great looking car or a Fiesta. Toyotas are poor drivers cars and Hondas overpriced.

Mazda 2 is more than a few extra pennies - with the money you would have to pay for one, especially the diesel, you could buy something bigger.

The Fiesta has had lots of reliability issues. Combine that with not great after sales service and you could well be buying a headache.

Toyotas drive fine. The cars in this segment aren't meant for rally-cross, they are city get-arounds.

Regarding Hondas being overpriced, the real cost of a car, unless you are going to keep it until you die, is its depreciation. Hondas hold their value fantastically.

On August 15, 2016 at 11:32 PM, DavisH said:

The suzuki swift is 1.2 4 cylinder, 91hp. It's easy to drive and just returned from Kanchanaburi. Lots of heavy traffic and 530 km round trip. Still plenty of fuel left. It's great around town, but up country driving really needs a larger vehicle. The short wheelbase makes it uncomfortable on poor and bumpy roads. I normally get around 14-15km/l on e10 gasohol. 

Re Suzuki:  Quite right it is 4cyl - i stand corrected. 

• 2 months later...

I did post about the Suzuki Swift somewhere, but can't find that actual thread, so I thought here would do just as well because that very same car was being discussed.

I've had my Suzuki Swift for four years now and I think it's a wonderful little car, although I have to say I have not clocked up too many kilometres on it, only 19,000 since it was new.

However what has surprised me is the fantastic service which comes with this car and from what I can gather it's pretty well nationwide, let me explain..............

I was always telephoned when my next service was due, and although this seems the norm for some countries, I didn't think it would apply here.

Around 12 months ago I was contacted and asked to bring the car in for a major refit of the steering mechanism?? Upon investigation I found that Suzuki were concerned because some of the rubber shrouds on the rack and pinion assembly had split, thereby letting in water, so as a matter of course they were changing the whole unit on all cars (or so I was told).

This was done at no charge and during the course of a morning.

Just recently I took the car into the dealer because the Aircon sometimes, just sometimes didn't seem to be working as well as it used to and to show them just the beginnings of a little rust, about half the size of a fingernail, along the edge of the window, underneath the rubber seal. Whilst the car was there they pulled off all of the seals on the windows and found just a few more. 

Anyway to cut a long story short they kept the car in for a day and told me that they would contact me in a few days as they had been in touch with Bangkok regarding remedial work. Got the call a few days later and they are going to change the Aircon unit, fix all of the rust spots on the windows and put new seals on AND, much to my surprise they noticed some rust spots on the suspension struts and are changing those as well!

Now I have worked on cars at one time or another since I was a young man and rust spots appearing under cars are quite normal, especially when dirt, grit and mud are regularly thrown up from the road (especially here) so I was most surprised that Suzuki were going to change these units. When I asked the dealer why all this was necessary, they said that Suzuki operated a five year guarantee on rust on the car, so it was all going to be fixed free of charge.

Of course there will be those who say that rust spots should not appear on relatively new cars, however mine has been standing out in all weather for just about four years, as well as being driven on very poor quality Thai roads, so in my opinion some rust spots are inevitable.

All credit to Suzuki for this wonderful service........and I still love the little car!

On 11/5/2016 at 11:54 AM, xylophone said:

I did post about the Suzuki Swift somewhere, but can't find that actual thread, so I thought here would do just as well because that very same car was being discussed.

I've had my Suzuki Swift for four years now and I think it's a wonderful little car, although I have to say I have not clocked up too many kilometres on it, only 19,000 since it was new.

However what has surprised me is the fantastic service which comes with this car and from what I can gather it's pretty well nationwide, let me explain..............

I was always telephoned when my next service was due, and although this seems the norm for some countries, I didn't think it would apply here.

Around 12 months ago I was contacted and asked to bring the car in for a major refit of the steering mechanism?? Upon investigation I found that Suzuki were concerned because some of the rubber shrouds on the rack and pinion assembly had split, thereby letting in water, so as a matter of course they were changing the whole unit on all cars (or so I was told).

This was done at no charge and during the course of a morning.

Just recently I took the car into the dealer because the Aircon sometimes, just sometimes didn't seem to be working as well as it used to and to show them just the beginnings of a little rust, about half the size of a fingernail, along the edge of the window, underneath the rubber seal. Whilst the car was there they pulled off all of the seals on the windows and found just a few more. 

Anyway to cut a long story short they kept the car in for a day and told me that they would contact me in a few days as they had been in touch with Bangkok regarding remedial work. Got the call a few days later and they are going to change the Aircon unit, fix all of the rust spots on the windows and put new seals on AND, much to my surprise they noticed some rust spots on the suspension struts and are changing those as well!

Now I have worked on cars at one time or another since I was a young man and rust spots appearing under cars are quite normal, especially when dirt, grit and mud are regularly thrown up from the road (especially here) so I was most surprised that Suzuki were going to change these units. When I asked the dealer why all this was necessary, they said that Suzuki operated a five year guarantee on rust on the car, so it was all going to be fixed free of charge.

Of course there will be those who say that rust spots should not appear on relatively new cars, however mine has been standing out in all weather for just about four years, as well as being driven on very poor quality Thai roads, so in my opinion some rust spots are inevitable.

All credit to Suzuki for this wonderful service........and I still love the little car!

..there were earlier reports about some rust spots under the door seals and other places. Nothing serious though, I haven't actually checked on that. Are you normally parked in the open or a covered area? I also had those rubber steering bit replaced.

Maybe you don't know, but you can ask about a software update for the ecm (ecu). It stops the vibration when you are in drive and at standstill. It's a free update. I had mine done a few months ago. It's much smoother now. Also found the car runs better on gasohol 95. 

Archived