managerial hits and miss's this season

rijit

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this thread is about managers being sacked, thought I'd post this here.

Should mid-season sackings be banned? Gary Neville has his say...

Should mid-season manager sackings be banned? Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville said he would support the idea that managers could not be sacked during a campaign.

In a week where Aitor Karanka lost his job at Middlesbrough, Martin Tyler, who was co-commentating on Man City's draw with Liverpool alongside Neville, asked the former Manchester United defender whether a transfer window for managers should be introduced.

Full story:- http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10808957/should-mid-season-sackings-be-banned-gary-neville-has-his-say

Not likely to happen with City, but if a team lost 6 on the bounce a club should have the right to make a change. I'm not sure if "windows" are actually legal. They seem like a restraint of employee rights to me. Imagine if you wanted to change jobs and were told you could only do so in 3 specified months of the year.

this has been my 'train of thought ' for the past 2 years

changing coach's only in the pre season, not sure on the jan window, IMO

would have a HUGELY positive  effect on english football,

for one  managers may even start giving young players the game time they need rather than, in general knee jerk , so we've got to buy scenario.. .

I've got my feet in both camps and am sitting on the fence on this one. I can see the benefits of it but also a club should have the right to terminate a bad performing manager. If a player isn't performing, you can drop him and put a replacement in but you can't drop a manager.

On 3/21/2017 at 2:34 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

^Try telling that to players. If players can be restricted from moving, why can't the exact same apply to managers?

Nobody has challenged the current rules restricting player movement. If they did they would win. Remember the Bosman ruling? Bosman himself didn't benefit too much but the likes of Owen and McManaman sure did. Clubs are kakking their pants when a good player looks like he is running his contract down. 

On 21/03/2017 at 5:05 PM, mrbojangles said:

I've got my feet in both camps and am sitting on the fence on this one. I can see the benefits of it but also a club should have the right to terminate a bad performing manager. If a player isn't performing, you can drop him and put a replacement in but you can't drop a manager.

of coarse you can drop a manager, nothin to say the owner cant walk in and tell him to train the u 21's for the next ??? months. ,,, whilst ??? takes the 1 st team.

7 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

of coarse you can drop a manager, nothin to say the owner cant walk in and tell him to train the u 21's for the next ??? months. ,,, whilst ??? takes the 1 st team.

Think you better read up on employment law, in particular, start at constructive dismissal. Believe it or not, even though some of these guys are on huge salaries, they still have rights.

9 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Think you better read up on employment law, in particular, start at constructive dismissal. Believe it or not, even though some of these guys are on huge salaries, they still have rights.

yeah but they can still do it and they'll just  end up paying him off down the road  or do what the the italians do  sack/or given open ended leave so instead  of paying him off keep him on the pay roll until the contract runs out or he gets alternative employment  bizarley they  quite often get called bac in as a temporary stop gaps when the current  manager walks or gets the chop and they are ec so i would imagine the workers rights are standard fare. 

13 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah but they can still do it and they'll just  end up paying him off down the road  or do what the the italians do  sack/or given open ended leave so instead  of paying him off keep him on the pay roll until the contract runs out or he gets alternative employment  bizarley they  quite often get called bac in as a temporary stop gaps when the current  manager walks or gets the chop and they are ec so i would imagine the workers rights are standard fare. 

In this country, they can't just demote someone or you can take the club for constructive dismissal. That's why they always get sacked or "leave by mutual agreement". Chelsea tried demoting Eva Carneiro from first team physio and she took them to court for constructive dismissal.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that with a player you can drop them one week and play them the next etc as they are part of a squad. You can't simply drop a manager one week and then have him managing again the next week.

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Some managers have gone on gardening leave. Gary Megson for one.

Bit of a different scenario to what I'm saying Champers. Megson was actually sacked and replaced and was on a 12 month rolling contract. As they couldn't reach a settlement agreement, he simply carried on getting paid until his contract ran out. Obviously this meant he couldn't get another job.

What we were talking about before, was replacing managers only during a window. We have veered off into just talking about the in's and out's of a sacking as opposed to the difficulties of only doing it during a window. All I said was "If a player isn't performing, you can drop him and put a replacement in but you can't drop a manager. " If this rule did come in and you dropped your manager, you'd be without a manager until the window opens.

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Bit of a different scenario to what I'm saying Champers. Megson was actually sacked and replaced and was on a 12 month rolling contract. As they couldn't reach a settlement agreement, he simply carried on getting paid until his contract ran out. Obviously this meant he couldn't get another job.

What we were talking about before, was replacing managers only during a window. We have veered off into just talking about the in's and out's of a sacking as opposed to the difficulties of only doing it during a window. All I said was "If a player isn't performing, you can drop him and put a replacement in but you can't drop a manager. " If this rule did come in and you dropped your manager, you'd be without a manager until the window opens.

iTs the same dropped, moved over , gardening leave just .The owners in the uk dont do it, why? who knows, but they can if they want just like the italians. Consequences ? Probably decided  the amount of money changing hands

4 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

The owners in the uk dont do it, why?

Because both club and manager have top notch lawyers who know about employment law and what is acceptable within the law and what isn't.

Out of interest. Which Italian clubs and managers do you refer? I'd like to have a look at the circumstances.

22 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Ecky thump! That's a very detailed reply. You know a lot about the Megson case. Are you his lawyer?

1 hour ago, champers said:

Ecky thump! That's a very detailed reply. You know a lot about the Megson case. Are you his lawyer?

Have a few mates who are Bowton fans and we talk about football a lot. If Megson had been Manager of some southern softie team, I wouldn't have known jack :laugh:

1 hour ago, champers said:

When Megson was manager we knocked Atletico Madrid out of the UEFA Cup. At the Reebok they brought on a sub who was described as the new Maradona. It was Khun Aguerro.

Well he did marry Maradona's daughter. Maybe that's what they meant :laugh:

Seriously though, Aguero has turned out to be one of the best around at the moment.

i think there have been about a dozen 'new maradonas' over the years. ariel ortega was one. so was juan roman riquelme even though they played nothing like each other. javier saviola, andres d'alessandro, marcelo gallardo, pablo aimar, think even carlos tevez was called that at the start. just tended to mean you were agentinian, an attacker and ideally a shortarse.

14 minutes ago, StevieH said:

i think there have been about a dozen 'new maradonas' over the years. ariel ortega was one. so was juan roman riquelme even though they played nothing like each other. javier saviola, andres d'alessandro, marcelo gallardo, pablo aimar, think even carlos tevez was called that at the start. just tended to mean you were agentinian, an attacker and ideally a shortarse.

As time marches on its now the "new Messi". Dybala at Juve the odds on candidate. Good luck with that, though he is a really nice little footballer.

On 03/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, mrbojangles said:

Because both club and manager have top notch lawyers who know about employment law and what is acceptable within the law and what isn't.

Out of interest. Which Italian clubs and managers do you refer? I'd like to have a look at the circumstances.

GO google it bo, not sure what u'de look for, but it aint just one incident it is  pretty common.

3 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

GO google it bo, not sure what u'de look for, but it aint just one incident it is  pretty common.

Seeing as you've been mentioning it, I thought you might know one off the top of your head.

Either way, the point I was making is unlike a player where you can drop him from the team one week and pick him the next, you can't do that with a manager as you only have one.

On 27/03/2017 at 1:19 PM, mrbojangles said:

Seeing as you've been mentioning it, I thought you might know one off the top of your head.

Either way, the point I was making is unlike a player where you can drop him from the team one week and pick him the next, you can't do that with a manager as you only have one.

yeah ,no matter what you say bo dropping of one manager and bringing another one already on contract bac happens  its been mentioned enuf times by the guardian boys on their podcast  to know its a pretty regular/accepted  occurance, but tbh its never been of enuf interest 4 me to follow it up.

9 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Perhaps the scousers septic board will be the first to introduce offensive and defensive coaches?

every team has a defensive coach don't they? and we certainly used to have ian rush as our strikers coach.

Archived