managerial hits and miss's this season

rijit

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Boer to Palace and ex-red scouse Mauricio Pellegrino has emerged as Southampton’s first-choice candidate to replace Claude Puel 

Both goods signings IMO. De boer may need alittle time but i reckon he'll do well. Even better if he dont play with 'wingers' and spurs can get zaha!!

• 8 months later...

Championship club Reading have sacked manager Jaap Stam after a run of just one win in 19 league games. Former Manchester United and Netherlands defender Stam, 45, led the club to the Championship play-off final in his first season at the club. But poor results this term have seen Reading slip to 20th, within three points of the relegation zone...He signed a new contract running until the end of the 2018-19 season in July after being linked with potential vacancies in the Premier League. But his departure eight months later leaves the Royals seeking their fifth managerial appointment since Brian McDermott's first spell at the club ended in March 2013.

When's Nigel Pearson going to get out of Leuven?

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Championship club Reading have sacked manager Jaap Stam after a run of just one win in 19 league games. Former Manchester United and Netherlands defender Stam, 45, led the club to the Championship play-off final in his first season at the club. But poor results this term have seen Reading slip to 20th, within three points of the relegation zone...He signed a new contract running until the end of the 2018-19 season in July after being linked with potential vacancies in the Premier League. But his departure eight months later leaves the Royals seeking their fifth managerial appointment since Brian McDermott's first spell at the club ended in March 2013.

When's Nigel Pearson going to get out of Leuven?

I hope Reading keep their mitts off Bolton's Phil Parkinson, who Reading fans regard as a legend from his time as a player there. Miracle worker would be apt for what he's done at Bolton, with no money and his best players flogged off.

I suspect the Chinese owners will go for a foreign or name manager; someone like Roberto Di Matteo, if I was plucking a name out of thin air.

On 17/06/2017 at 7:33 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Allo John Terry, it's me Arry. How do ya fancy comin up ta Birmingham?

annie-edson-taylor.jpeg

RadMac were talking the other day about the similarity of Harry and Annie Edson Taylor, the first person to survive a trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

Sacking Pulis and replacing him with Pardew has to be the biggest <deleted> up this season.

A man with a 37% average win rate. A man who has already openly given up on keeping them up, a team that have openly given up playing for him, and owners who would rather get relegated than have to pay Pardew a sacking fee. What a sad state of affairs. Glad they are one of our last matches this season.

no way will conte be sacked..c/sea will hold him to his contractual agreements.unless a amicable settlement is agreed to.. and c.sea hold all trumps in that regard.conte has got to suck bat here otherwise he will be janitor with c.sea next season.one winner here and thats roman.which i forecasted on this forum 6 months ago.conte is a nasty volotile turncoat.as the old saying  #what goe.s around.comes around#

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Sacking Pulis and replacing him with Pardew has to be the biggest <deleted> up this season.

A man with a 37% average win rate. A man who has already openly given up on keeping them up, a team that have openly given up playing for him, and owners who would rather get relegated than have to pay Pardew a sacking fee. What a sad state of affairs. Glad they are one of our last matches this season.

Did I read that you are one of the clubs interested in Jonny Evans? In the event of relegation he has a release clause of just £3M

33 minutes ago, champers said:

Did I read that you are one of the clubs interested in Jonny Evans? In the event of relegation he has a release clause of just £3M

There was some mooted interest, but I'm not sure of the validity. I'd take him for 3M that's a no brainer. 

Squad player though, we defo need a new keeper and CB partner for VvD.

5 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Alan Pardew steps off the British Manager merry-go-round again for a few months. 

Downside is that he'll be straight back on the box....telling others how to manage!

On 4/2/2018 at 6:17 PM, wilai said:

Downside is that he'll be straight back on the box....telling others how to manage!

I actually think were witnessing the demise of the old guard, the jobs for the old journeymen....Allardyce, Pardew, Hughes, Warnock......i read recently that 36 out of the 92 football league clubs have changed their manager in the last six months!

However, the really interesting stats relate to the premier league in that this past 10 years only six managers were under the age of forty, three having to have won promotion from the championship to get there.  Compare this to the Bundesliga that has six managers incumbent this season in a league of only eighteen teams!!  We're light years behind in terms of promoting youth and visionaries.

And then the FA goes and appoints Southgate as the England manager, and Allardyce prior to him.  Its dismal depressing stuff.

19 minutes ago, carmine said:

I actually think were witnessing the demise of the old guard, the jobs for the old journeymen....Allardyce, Pardew, Hughes, Warnock......i read recently that 36 out of the 92 football league clubs have changed their manager in the last six months!

However, the really interesting stats relate to the premier league in that this past 10 years only six managers were under the age of forty, three having to have won promotion from the championship to get there.  Compare this to the Bundesliga that has six managers incumbent this season in a league of only eighteen teams!!  We're light years behind in terms of promoting youth and visionaries.

And then the FA goes and appoints Southgate as the England manager, and Allardyce prior to him.  Its dismal depressing stuff.

Well, of the 4 you mention, Hughes has rocked up at Southampton and Warnock will likely be promoted with Cardiff. Bruce and Pulis could win promotion via the play-offs with Villa and Boro.

By League position, Sean Dyche is the best English manager. Will he be considered for the Chelsea job when it next comes vacant? No chance. Since Roman has been in charge they have only had non-Brits managing them. You can't blame the FA for foreign owners picking foreign managers.

More and more clubs in the Championship are foreign owned with foreign managers and foreign players in the team. Wolves are the best example and they are nailed on for promotion to the Prem.

It is difficult to see how young English managers can break through in the Prem. Will the likes of Gerrard, Lampard or Terry make it? Sol Campbell has tried and failed to get a job (Grimsby just turned him down), Teddy Sheringham gave it a go at Stevenage but seems to have given up.

The only way a young English manager can break into the Prem is, seemingly,  by getting promotion with a Championship club (Howe and Dyche). Good luck to Gary Rowett at Derby and Lee Johnson at Bristol City.

13 minutes ago, champers said:

Well, of the 4 you mention, Hughes has rocked up at Southampton and Warnock will likely be promoted with Cardiff. Bruce and Pulis could win promotion via the play-offs with Villa and Boro.

By League position, Sean Dyche is the best English manager. Will he be considered for the Chelsea job when it next comes vacant? No chance. Since Roman has been in charge they have only had non-Brits managing them. You can't blame the FA for foreign owners picking foreign managers.

More and more clubs in the Championship are foreign owned with foreign managers and foreign players in the team. Wolves are the best example and they are nailed on for promotion to the Prem.

It is difficult to see how young English managers can break through in the Prem. Will the likes of Gerrard, Lampard or Terry make it? Sol Campbell has tried and failed to get a job (Grimsby just turned him down), Teddy Sheringham gave it a go at Stevenage but seems to have given up.

The only way a young English manager can break into the Prem is, seemingly,  by getting promotion with a Championship club (Howe and Dyche). Good luck to Gary Rowett at Derby and Lee Johnson at Bristol City.

Sorry, good post,  but i think you missed my point in so much as i was talking about managers under the age of forty, regardless of nationality.  

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You'll see fewer and fewer ex-players managing I think as they are all retiring with bucketloads in the bank.

You might well be right.  However, my point is that theres a trend in place abroad in the appointment of younger managers that leaves us, as per usual lagging behind.  

1 hour ago, carmine said:

You might well be right.  However, my point is that theres a trend in place abroad in the appointment of younger managers that leaves us, as per usual lagging behind.  

Actually carms I believe English football will continue to improve and soon will be dominant in Europe.

I'm not saying that will be with English players or managers however.

Up to the FA and clubs to work at this one!

I'm sure I have told you my views of the SFA on more than one occasion! The FA are no different....dinosaurs.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Gary Johnson is a good young English manager; I think he was still in his 20s when he began at Oldham. On 2 occasions, once at Barnsley and again at Bristol City, he had a bad run of results, something like 8 losses on the bounce. On both occasions the English owners kept faith with him. If he was in the Prem working for foreign owners and lost 8 on the bounce he would be sacked.

I don't think there are enough English managers testing themselves abroad. Those that do go; Moyes, Neville and Coleman for example; can't or won't learn the language and give themselves an enormous handicap. No doubt the money is better in England.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

Gary Johnson is a good young English manager; I think he was still in his 20s when he began at Oldham. On 2 occasions, once at Barnsley and again at Bristol City, he had a bad run of results, something like 8 losses on the bounce. On both occasions the English owners kept faith with him. If he was in the Prem working for foreign owners and lost 8 on the bounce he would be sacked.

I don't think there are enough English managers testing themselves abroad. Those that do go; Moyes, Neville and Coleman for example; can't or won't learn the language and give themselves an enormous handicap. No doubt the money is better in England.

Good points, and regards the language barrier, yes its a huge handicap.  I remember Pochettino couldn't speak hardly a word when he arrived at Southampton.  Conte's was far from anything approaching good.

^^ It is rare that a young English manager in this country wasn't a big name player.

Abroad they put more stock in actually being a good coach and communicator. Take Marco Silva. Very modest playing career. Take Mourinho - next to no playing experience. 

1 hour ago, champers said:

Those that do go; Moyes, Neville and Coleman for example; can't or won't learn the language and give themselves an enormous handicap. No doubt the money is better in England.

I do have sympathy for Neville though. He was basically thrown into a cauldron with all sorts of problems at Valencia, not sure he had time to settle in properly, let alone learn Spanish. 

Not surprised he is now happy to do punditry, but hopefully it won't put him off for life. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I do have sympathy for Neville though. He was basically thrown into a cauldron with all sorts of problems at Valencia, not sure he had time to settle in properly, let alone learn Spanish. 

Not surprised he is now happy to do punditry, but hopefully it won't put him off for life. 

It was as ridiculous that he was offered the job in the first place as it was ridiculous of him to accept it.

Anyway, i think he's an excellent pundit and was glad to see him back doing that.  Like Danny Higginbotham too.

^^ He was basically helping out his mate who owned the club.

Can't see how the experience will do him any harm in the long run. You can't be successful in anything without getting your feet wet occasionally. 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

^^ He was basically helping out his mate who owned the club.

Can't see how the experience will do him any harm in the long run. You can't be successful in anything without getting your feet wet occasionally. 

I agree,  but at a club as big as Valencia it warranted a manager with experience.  Almost appeared like the owner was playing with the club.  

Archived