Fitness 7 24 hour gym Avenue mall

bkk6060

Sorry I know there is a gym thread here but I could not find it. I do not have a financial interest I just live here.  I went to this place today and they open August 20.  WOW,  It is very impressive.  A huge weight area upstairs probably more for the serious workout types.  Every machine and free weight you can imagine in two huge rooms.  I was very impressed they must have invested huge money.  Maybe the nicest gym I have seen in Pattaya 6 times the size of Fairtex. They are offering memberships for 1500 b a month.  I plan on joining as it is 5 minutes from my apartment.  So, for you gym people I would check it out they will give you a free tour.

24-hour gym?  Amazing, and quite nice.  In my youth when I worked out regularly, I would go in the dead of night because it would be cooler and very little competition for equipment.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Is this what they have been building recently on the top floor opposite the cinema, or is it in the old California Wow premises?

In the old California Wow premises.

I never saw Calif. Wow.  But I am telling you this place is high end.  Yes aircon, all new equipment everything you could imagine in weights and many cardio.

The good thing is you can get a one month or 3 month membership.  So if they do run they are not taking a load of your cash.  They told me they open on the 20th, so I will get a one month and see how it goes.

15 hours ago, wpcoe said:

24-hour gym?  Amazing, and quite nice.  In my youth when I worked out regularly, I would go in the dead of night because it would be cooler and very little competition for equipment.

I work out at home, but would certainly use the facility if it has Cybex Arc Trainers.

Wouldn't the place be air conditioned 24/7?

On August 16, 2016 at 0:04 PM, wpcoe said:

I go in the afternoon. My gym is non-A/C but in Pattaya the humidity is lowest then. 

1 hour ago, pegman said:

I go in the afternoon. My gym is non-A/C but in Pattaya the humidity is lowest then. 

Yeah, because the temperature is higher in the afternoon. You'll find the heat index is the highest in the afternoon, which is the combination of both. There's no good time to train in the Thailand climate without aircon, but if you need to chose the coolest time, early in the morning would be best.

I hope they don't turn the aircon off at night to save money.

On 8/18/2016 at 3:09 AM, ruffneck said:

I have been told that this gym will only have partial air conditioning around the cardio machines, any of you guys that have looked around can you confirm this??

It's hard to believe they wouldn't air condition the weight area in a closed building. It will be game over before they start if that's their plan.

I'm going to have a look later on today. I'll bring the good/bad news.

On August 17, 2016 at 3:02 PM, tropo said:

Yeah, because the temperature is higher in the afternoon. You'll find the heat index is the highest in the afternoon, which is the combination of both. There's no good time to train in the Thailand climate without aircon, but if you need to chose the coolest time, early in the morning would be best.

I hope they don't turn the aircon off at night to save money.

Having spent 57 years in one of the top 2, depending on the year, coldest large cities on earth those workouts sure got me acclimatized. I seldom use the AC in the condo now.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Having spent 57 years in one of the top 2, depending on the year, coldest large cities on earth those workouts sure got me acclimatized. I seldom use the AC in the condo now.

Unfortunately acclimatizing (being able to handle) and optimum temperature for exercising are 2 different things. Your body operates at 37C, and when you're pushing weights or doing cardio in a room at or higher than 30C, you're not going to get a good workout, and in fact it's unhealthy to even try. Add to that high humidity and it's not going to be pleasant. People get pretend workouts, because they sweat a lot and feel that's makes for a good workout. Too many people judge a good workout by how much they sweat and not on their work output.

I've just been in there and the main room will NOT be air conditioned. They have one pedestal fan in there at the moment, and claim they will bring more. I was working up a sweat just walking around and looking at the equipment. Even the PR lady showing me around stood in front of the fan to cool down. I'd guess the room temperature was somewhere between 30 C and 31 C, and this is a cloudy day at midday.

They have one smaller area sealed off for air conditioning, but the main area and downstairs entrance area is not going to be air conditioned.

They have a surprisingly limited number of cardio machines. I counted 4 treadmills, 3 ellipticals and 4 bikes (2 recumbent, 2 upright) in the air conditioned room. The main gym (not air conditioned) had 5 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, 2 bikes and 1 rowing machine.

There's a huge number of weight machines thrown in there, in both areas. It's absolutely daunting - you won't know where to start and it will take many workouts to get up to speed. There are no internationally recognised brands of equipment, so you'll have to give them a go to see how well they function. I was surprised that most of these weight machines are plate loaded, which is a bit slow and clumsy for a public gym. All the equipment is painted pitch black, making the room feel dark and gloomy.

They have "play for free" (that's what they are calling it) from 3pm tomorrow afternoon (August 20) until August 31, so that will be a good chance for everyone to try out the equipment. Bring a couple of towels, if not to wipe your sweat, then to wipe down the sweat other people will leave on the benches as it's going to get very hot in there. The gym officially opens on September 2.

They don't seem to be offering a yearly membership at this stage: 1-time: 300, weekly - 1500,  3 months - 4000, 100 for member card. At least there's no long term commitment required. I think the 300 baht casual workout is good value. This could have the unintended negative consequence of having too many casual tourists in there taking up all of the equipment (and leaving pools of sweat). I've also found that some nationalities are quite difficult to share a gym with. Also, casual non-members don't usually respect the equipment to the same extent as members.

Overall I'm unimpressed due to the lack of air conditioning. I'd have to try out the equipment before I could comment on that. I won't be, so we'll have to leave that up to someone else. The number of cardio machines (11 in total) in the air conditioned area is going to be insufficient as everyone fights to get on the machines in this area.

I noticed there area opening windows along the wall in the air conditioned area, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn off the air conditioning at night to save money.

I'd recommend waiting to see if Fitness First at Harbor Mall can do a better job.

On 19/08/2016 at 9:03 AM, tropo said:

Unfortunately acclimatizing (being able to handle) and optimum temperature for exercising are 2 different things. Your body operates at 37C, and when you're pushing weights or doing cardio in a room at or higher than 30C, you're not going to get a good workout, and in fact it's unhealthy to even try. Add to that high humidity and it's not going to be pleasant. People get pretend workouts, because they sweat a lot and feel that's makes for a good workout. Too many people judge a good workout by how much they sweat and not on their work output.

I've just been in there and the main room will NOT be air conditioned. They have one pedestal fan in there at the moment, and claim they will bring more. I was working up a sweat just walking around and looking at the equipment. Even the PR lady showing me around stood in front of the fan to cool down. I'd guess the room temperature was somewhere between 30 C and 31 C, and this is a cloudy day at midday.

They have one smaller area sealed off for air conditioning, but the main area and downstairs entrance area is not going to be air conditioned.

They have a surprisingly limited number of cardio machines. I counted 4 treadmills, 3 ellipticals and 4 bikes (2 recumbent, 2 upright) in the air conditioned room. The main gym (not air conditioned) had 5 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, 2 bikes and 1 rowing machine.

There's a huge number of weight machines thrown in there, in both areas. It's absolutely daunting - you won't know where to start and it will take many workouts to get up to speed. There are no internationally recognised brands of equipment, so you'll have to give them a go to see how well they function. I was surprised that most of these weight machines are plate loaded, which is a bit slow and clumsy for a public gym. All the equipment is painted pitch black, making the room feel dark and gloomy.

They have "play for free" (that's what they are calling it) from 3pm tomorrow afternoon (August 20) until August 31, so that will be a good chance for everyone to try out the equipment. Bring a couple of towels, if not to wipe your sweat, then to wipe down the sweat other people will leave on the benches as it's going to get very hot in there. The gym officially opens on September 2.

They don't seem to be offering a yearly membership at this stage: 1-time: 300, weekly - 1500,  3 months - 4000, 100 for member card. At least there's no long term commitment required. I think the 300 baht casual workout is good value. This could have the unintended negative consequence of having too many casual tourists in there taking up all of the equipment (and leaving pools of sweat). I've also found that some nationalities are quite difficult to share a gym with. Also, casual non-members don't usually respect the equipment to the same extent as members.

Overall I'm unimpressed due to the lack of air conditioning. I'd have to try out the equipment before I could comment on that. I won't be, so we'll have to leave that up to someone else. The number of cardio machines (11 in total) in the air conditioned area is going to be insufficient as everyone fights to get on the machines in this area.

I noticed there area opening windows along the wall in the air conditioned area, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn off the air conditioning at night to save money.

I'd recommend waiting to see if Fitness First at Harbor Mall can do a better job.

Sounds like a play for the potential Tony's crowd who would rather not hump it to either 3rd Road or Soi Buakaow.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Sounds like a play for the potential Tony's crowd who would rather not hump it to either 3rd Road or Soi Buakaow.

To be honest, if I had to make a choice between training at this new gym without aircon or training at Tony's old 3rd Road gyms which are air conditioned up until 9pm, I'd prefer the latter. Tony's air conditioning is not the best but it's better than nothing.  

I know if I trained there I'd really miss California Wow. It will be interesting to see if they run the escalator or not. I'm guessing they won't.

I haven't gone back in yet and as the OP sorry I had no idea about the aircon.  Seems very stupid.  They spent millions of baht on the equipment, but if it is too hot I agree not good I don't want to vomit from the heat.  But I will try it next week on the freebee and see how it goes.

On 8/19/2016 at 3:03 PM, tropo said:

4000 Baht for 3 months is 16000 Baht/year, for a non airconditioned gym with plate loaded machines. Good luck with that.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I haven't gone back in yet and as the OP sorry I had no idea about the aircon.  Seems very stupid.  They spent millions of baht on the equipment, but if it is too hot I agree not good I don't want to vomit from the heat.  But I will try it next week on the freebee and see how it goes.

I did push the question with the PR lady in there a few days ago. I got the impression that the main area will never be air conditioned. I believe this is true because the space from the front door up the escalator into the gym is one space, and they have a gate at the entrance, exposing the space to open air.

They don't have enough cardio stuff in the air conditioned area. Only 11 machines. There isn't much space for more either.

5 hours ago, Berty100 said:

4000 Baht for 3 months is 16000 Baht/year, for a non airconditioned gym with plate loaded machines. Good luck with that.

Perhaps some smart guy in the company will change it to full air con in the future as he sees people walking out drenched in sweat, never to see them again. The problem is that most Thai people judge the quality of a workout by how much sweat you leave on the bench and floor. They call this "hard core".

One time I wanted to get on a machine in the old California Wow gym after a Thai left a pool of sweat on it. He seemed rather angry with me when I politely asked him to clean the bench... which he refused to do. That was in a well air conditioned gym. Can you imagine the pools of sweat in this new un air conditioned gym. It will be a health hazard.

22 hours ago, mcfish said:

I use hardbody gym when in Jomtien and dont mind no air, its like a workout and sauna at the same time. I go through a litre of water very quickly. 85 baht per day entry

Poor people have to have somewhere to go.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Poor people have to have somewhere to go.

errrmm good one 

Can walk there in under 5 mins and in 7 days Im back to my condo in BKK that has a 1st class gym which is free but the condo was expensive

:coffee1:

Archived