Minister Kobkarn hopes Pokemon Go will save Thailand's tourism industry

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems quite an opportunistic statement, however to my strategy consultant it seems to be a well executed tactical step to achieve the next milestone in the multi decade development strategy ahead of plan, and to accelerate the re-positioning of tourism from a basic entertainment, learning and enjoyment activity into an experience in a virtual society accessible from home.

Respect and wye-wye !! :wai::wai2:

Edited by KKr

56 minutes ago, waldroj said:

Kobkarn could finally be on a winner here! 

http://www.techinsider.io/pokemon-go-bar-crawl-new-york-city-video-2016-7

Just modify it to include what Thailand has an over-abundance of, and she may create a whole new group of randy aging Pokemon Go players. 

Better be quick then, this will be over in a whim.

Really have to wonder, who is more lacking in sense, the tourism minister, or the tourists who keep coming to Thailand despite it all...

Yes, it seems that the demographics have changed in recent years, weighting much more heavily to Chinese and Middle Eastern tourists -- for whom Thailand must seem like a paradise of freedom compared to their own homes.

But, from my vantage point in a BKK tourist area, I still see lots of Japanese and Koreans, and still appreciable numbers of Europeans and in particular Brits. Now, why in the world those groups would want to choose Thailand as a tourism destination these days is the bigger mystery to me.

Yes, the tropical weather remains an appeal. But for anyone who's remotely a so-called quality tourist, the reasons NOT to come would seem overwhelming. I could recite a list, but you all know all the reasons very well. Somehow, reality's just not setting in out there in the big wide world.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

But I thought it was going to be banned (IMHO it ought to be).

Just what's needed, hoards of tourists (of a certain nationality), who seem to have zero spacial awareness anyway, wandering around with their heads in their phones.

EDIT Great minds think alike P28 :)

"..... wandering around with their heads in their phones".

Most Thais do that anyway, so they should fit in well.

1 hour ago, konfuzed said:

If she's talking to a company in Japan, then she's looking the wrong way.  Niantic, the makers of the game, are a Californian company.  

Way at to save Thailand!!!

but but but i thought Thailand was the only place you can play this game ???????

it just goes to show speak like you know what you are talking about and you get a ministerial post,

does Thailand the land based around cartoon noises and figures( check out the TV shows) need even more of their population heads buried in their phones, walking heads down, driving bikes, cars, etc, there is enough of that now with social media, wait for the  unexplained increase in road accidents (due to this new fad)

She's jumped the shark.  I didn't think her foolishness could increase but she really went multiples above this time! 

And she is going to make a booklet to teach the world how to play!!  Classic!  more classic than the Iliad!

Edited by taony

11 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

Jesus wept. This awful woman appears to be quite serious.

Winnie

Awful indeed. Some of us have had the misfortune to encounter this 'lady' up close and personal and to witness her fake crying (no tears) when she tells the sycophants around her how much she  'loves the Thai people'. Even a cartoon Pokemon has more brains, morality and integrity than this 'person' !

Edited by Eligius

Here are a few simple ideas to increase revenue from tourism -

1. Make 3 month Tourist Visas valid for 3 months (not 2) so that tourists don't drift off to spend their money in a neighboring country after 60 days rather than wasting their time and enduring the hassle of extending it for the final 30 days at Thailand's notoriously inefficient Immigration offices.

2. Extend the duration of  Tourist visas to 4 months or 6 months.

2. Standardise the rules for visas in all Thai consulates in foriegn countries to remove uncertainties instead of leaving it to the local staff to make their own rules.

3. Stop banning alcohol consumption in restaurants every time there is a religious or Royal holiday, the amount of which Thailand must hold the world record.

go go  out

pokemon go in

still have go in name

now everybody happy

just the comment shows the way of thinking this woman has

hoping a game they are looking into banning

could help tourism, like they cannot play pokemon go at home

obviously we all now know what she does for most of the day