More police checkpoints in Pattaya to "increase confidence among both tourists and locals"

webfact

More police checkpoints in Pattaya to "increase confidence among both tourists and locals"

a3.jpg

Image: Sanook

PATTAYA: -- Police are deploying two large checkpoints into and out of Pattaya to increase security and inspire confidence in both locals and tourists.

The checkpoints will be manned by some 100 officers from various arms of the police and are ostensibly to catch people with weapons and drugs as well as potentially those with equipment that could be used to construct bombs, reported Sanook.

Cars and motorbikes will be checked and police have a new tool in the war on crime - a new application on their phones that accesses a database and can instantly tell officers if a suspect is wanted on a warrant for an offence. 

It is as easy as typing in the name and watching the screen for the instant result.

They have even announced the checkpoints - in front of the Nam Si Pak market and in front of the temple of Wat Jitpawan.

Region 3 police spokesman Leuchai Nonpatimakun said that the checkpoints were designed to protect the tourist industry in the Chonburi area and would increase confidence among tourists and residents in Pattaya and be a useful tool to fight crime in the wake of last week's unrest.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-17
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, zakk9 said:

So they think staying in a police state will make the tourists more comfortable? I wonder why North Korea don't have more tourists then...

Your right they should stop it immediatley and go back pooling all resources into catching farang without helmunt for tea money and leave the bombers to their missions without fear

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It wouldn't be so bad if they targeted the correct people.  But all the do target is the Tourist, Its the same when you go on to the MRT, BTS or go in to a shopping complex, the majority of the time its the tourist that gets a Stop and Search

It reminds me of when I worked in Iraq and the Iraq police and military always stop and search the private security teams instead of Iraqis and then wonder why devices are still getting through

Someone needs to have a serious word with their Profilers :thumbsup:

great was stopped 3 times in 1h on my ducati.

to add to stupidity, i was once stopped 3 times on dolphin roundabout going around it, had to show licence 3 times to 3 different cops, can u believe it? :D even they were laughing

• Like 1

Just now, whatproblem said:

You see people turn around 50 meters before a check point and the police just stand there ,unbelievable 

I did that, when I approached third one, and i got all legit, just couldnt be bothered to talk to them third time in 1h

They did nothing, and what they could to I got ducati 821, its fast bike, before they move I was far away anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

I did that, when I approached third one, and i got all legit, just couldnt be bothered to talk to them third time in 1h

They did nothing, and what they could to I got ducati 821, its fast bike, before they move I was far away anyway.

A couple of Thai guys tried that and thought they succeeded, until they got some lead in the back!

Two large check points in and out of Pattaya.One hundred cops manning them,to make us feel more safe. Seriously?

These guys will get so pissed off at having to do check point duty and miss out on their other  ferang robbing schemes.And bored,due to their attention spans,that this exorcise  will become a golden opportunity to stop every ferang driving a vehicle,taking tea money for every no hat,one beer too many,any slight problem with car or m/c,any sign of had having a puff,search of car for possible bomb components,and turning up drug paraphernalia,that you never even knew you had. Any thing they can fabricate to extort money out of us.Thais driving 2000,000 B cars of course, will breeze through.And all the time we will feel safer because of this.

Its rather like Pigs being lead to the slaughter

• Like 2

Well if it's anything like the "checkpoints" in other high risk places here, like malls and train stations, I'm sure it will be ineffective.

In the mall in Pattaya as you walk in the main entrance there are metal detectors.

But there are many other entrances, like through restaurants and Starbucks, where you could just walk in unchecked with an entire cache of weapons if you so please.

Now if you are someone inclined to be a terrorist, where would you go?

Hint, they aren't as stupid as the people putting up the checkpoints.

People will no doubt be able to easily drive around the checkpoints, as any smart terrorist or cab driver will no doubt do, lol

It may be noteworthy for some that the police checkpoints were also up at late night and early morning hours all accross central Pattaya last night, with a police officer approaching only myself at a traffic junction (with at least 20 other people, all of them Thais, waiting) asking whether I had consumed alcohol. 5 minutes later I was stopped again at another check point and asked the same question. While it felt like a setup at first when I was hand-picked from the crowd as a Westerner, to be fair, at both checkpoints, policemen were very polite and let me go when it was clear that I wasn't intoxicated (although it is kinda obvious that you will have drunk something when you're coming from Walking Street), big points for that.

I'm not sure whether police wouldn't have 'found something' when Pattaya was still governed by the former major and with only local police on the streets...

Regarding the checkpoints in general, of course they are pretty pointless apart from the general message that police 'may find you by accident' if you're a criminal. No real criminal in a sane state of his mind will use any road with such checkpoints, just as I'm sure terrorists would be too frightened of using MRT's or enter Bangkok shopping malls because of their electronic scanners. :D

Edited by pepi2005

6 hours ago, whatproblem said:

You see people turn around 50 meters before a check point and the police just stand there ,unbelievable 

Whaddayamean?  That means the bad guys changed their minds and went home.

Mission accomplished!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Mission accomplished!

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Mission accomplished!

No ,just go a different way