The ONLY farang on the block syndrome

JJGreen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

I can't see why I would give it much thought.

But then I often wonder why so many here are utterly concerned with the visas, work permits, marital history and sexual proclivities of other people whose  lives do not affect them. 

It all seems depressingly parochial.

good post. I often wonder why so many seem so concerned about the military government and constantly abuse them. it does not concern them and most of them should feel safer.

Dude.  You want to move to my village, tambon, amphur?  Feel free.  Who's 'guarding' their status?  I'm not Thai, I don't care.  If some farang wants to move into the 50 kilometer long valley I live in, fine with me.  Plenty of space out here.  Lots of single gals of the rural variety to pick from.  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

The only guy I knew who wanted to be the only farang in an area was a loser...he had status among Thais, and seemed afraid that other farang would see him for what he was...

I imagine that for some people, they came here to get away from their home country and the perceived problems with people and the society...so they may view others as an encroachment of these problems...maybe? 

Sorry to say; but we have all heard that everyone on Thai Visa and every Farang in Thailand; does not like you.

I heard that 4 farangs were going to move to your soi; but when the house sellers told them that you lived on the

street. They all asked for their deposits back; and bought on another soi; away from you.

Please do not get Paranoid. Have a good day, loner.

Over my time of living in Thailand I have fallen into the Thai pattern of life by automatically smiling when Thai people look at me, never getting aggressive, being calm and making allowances for neighbours noise, dogs barking and chickens. One of my neighbours built a new house close by and he hung the electric cables onto my post without asking, which means nothing to be, no skin off my nose.

But with Farlangs it`s totally different,  they seem to be very territorial, have low tolerance levels of others around them, get irritated quickly, expect the same levels of rules and services as they got at home, refuse to learn and speak Thai and why I prefer to be the only Farlang living dead centre of all the Thais.

I hear you. Some of the foreigner that live here can be extremely ignorant and even rude to other foreigners. I had always wondered why? Now I see and I agree with you. They want to be special and another foreigner might take that away. Is there a name for this syndrome? 

Imagine living next door to some of the TV members that frequently hit these posts with their anti Thai pomposity, the one`s that believe people living around them should not be seen or heard and are very private persons probably with much to hide. No thanks.

I do have a few Farlang friends that I meet up with on occasions. Have to speak with other Farlangs sometimes otherwise I`d go crazy. These people are mostly loners, they usually rent small apartments in the city area and rarely associate with Thais. Some have been here 10 years or more and still can`t speak a word of Thai, can`t even ask how much is something, speak only English and get angry when the Thais don`t understand them. Then there are the one`s married to Thai ladies or have Thai girlfriends. The Thai female partners then believe they are of higher status then the other Thais because she is kept by the rich Farlang and the Farlang husband blanks everyone else around him expecting his Thai wife to be his negotiator, interpreter, chauffeur and his 100% support in Thailand, so in his mind he doesn`t need anyone else. I especially hate those types.

But there are some really nice Farlang expats in Thailand and those are the types that when we become friends I hang onto them, because they are rare gems in Thailand.

Many westerners- whether they realize it or not- are lured to places like this b/c they want to be different. Seeing another foreigner in the neighborhood kinda ruins the fantasy for them.

Then there's the type who have basically gone native or think they blend in better than you. These are the kinds of guys that toss around the term farang like they're not one of us.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

I hear you. Some of the foreigner that live here can be extremely ignorant and even rude to other foreigners. I had always wondered why? Now I see and I agree with you. They want to be special and another foreigner might take that away. Is there a name for this syndrome? 

That's it!! they want to be special and another foreigner would take it away!

It really does need a name. I have been calling it "only farang on the block". 

Do u have any suggestions?

3 hours ago, hdkane said:

The only guy I knew who wanted to be the only farang in an area was a loser...he had status among Thais, and seemed afraid that other farang would see him for what he was...

I imagine that for some people, they came here to get away from their home country and the perceived problems with people and the society...so they may view others as an encroachment of these problems...maybe? 

Great points!

Some guys might have created a fantasy persona and high status...afraid of losing it all when someone comes along...either to expose the truth or offer something better.

I agree with your second point too. some people just want anonymity and privacy for myriad reasons 

Some guys have anti-western attitudes, they shun their own race and rush to embrace Thais. I've seen them go gaga over Thai culture, and they believe the Thais really love and accept them. Strikes me as a fool's paradise. I think the ones that do this are mostly fairly new, in time their attitude should change. I also think their home countries must be dreadful places if they prefer to live like a recluse in rural Yasothon or the ass-end of Buriram.

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP i am the only farang in my village.

I wish there were others, sometimes not having other farangs around can be difficult.

I have a few farang friends who visit me regularly and believe me that is a joy.

Always try to be nice to people as you never know the day when you might need their help.

I am the only Farang in my village, and have been for the last three years. The other guy died, he was a drunk, and not able to keep a friend. no one

had a good word to say about him, he was a loud mouthed Yorkshire man.

If a new Farang moved into my village, I would hope to befriend him, but I would be watching his drinking habits, I don't mind anyone having a

social drink, but I hate drunks.

To be quite honest- there are just too many foreigners of all types that are living in Thailand. Many  bring with them their insecurities; their prejudices; their arrogance and never try and assimilate into Thai society. Many of us moved to Thailand to get away from those things that so irritated us in the West and do not want to see Thailand go the way of the West. Many of us like Thailand the way it is-warts and all. However, there are simply too many foreigners who are trying to import their way of life into Thailand and trying to get Thais to adapt to them. They refuse to learn Thai and curse the day from morning to night. 

Yet, I always smile and greet another foreigner when in front of me but I do not go out of the way to have a conversation with them.  If I am sitting in a pub -I enjoy a good conversation but I  usually keep my personal information to myself.  The World has changed too much in the last 10 years and I have become quite cautious about my interactions.

11 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why some farangs want to be the ‘only farang’ since heck you have felt this way a few times.:)

It`s because many Farlangs that settle in Thailand are running away from their lives and situations in their own countries for a multitude of reasons.  They may have been a Mr average or just plain losers in their past worlds and when they arrive in Thailand they can become whole new people, putting up a facade of being somebody they are not or as someone they always wanted to be.

When they start living among the Thais they get a false sense of identity as being the big Farlang, the big cheese of the neighbourhood, highly respected and looked up upon because everyone thinks they must be rich and successful by just being here. What was once a working class nobody in his own country has now progress to a upper middleclass suburban legend that all the Thais respect because they believe he has status and more money than them. 

Over time they rely on the nativity of the Thais with their stereotype images of Farlangs as all of us being well to do, it makes them feel secure and smug while they revel in their new found status and limelight as the big Farlang. Then another big bad Farlang moves in on their turf. A person that can read other Farlangs like a book and can see right through the facade. This makes the Farlangs feel at threat and insecure that their cover maybe blown and exposed for who and what they are, so they try to avoid the other Farlang at all costs, some even react rudely making it clear, I don`t want to know you.

This is what I said. They are people with much to hide and hate being exposed for what they really are, and why these pompous asses love being the only Farlang on the block.

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Been there done that packed up and left. Let someone else be the only white kid on the block. 

Me too. Lived in the sticks for 5 years. Farangs few and far between. Every time a met a new Farang it was like Christmas!

I was able to communicate with Thai's in very basic Thai, but still was unable to establish some kind of friendship or closeness with any of the Thai's.

A song title comes to mind: "We are the same, but not the same."

So I packed up and left, never to return. (done it, seen it).

Cheers.

17 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

The OP, a yank, is an attention seeker.

When the Thais and farangs see him in his environment, they probably know he has ZERO personality !

Can you blame them ? 

That's about half a dozen posts on my threads u have made. Each one an odd and disjointed personal attack about me.

I realise you don't live here but if you have an opinion on any of the topics, not the poster, id like to hear an outsiders views

2 hours ago, eldragon said:

Many westerners- whether they realize it or not- are lured to places like this b/c they want to be different. Seeing another foreigner in the neighborhood kinda ruins the fantasy for them.

Then there's the type who have basically gone native or think they blend in better than you. These are the kinds of guys that toss around the term farang like they're not one of us.

"ruins the fantasy for them"

Another piece into the answer of why. It's all starting to make sense now

"blend in better than you"

That have me a good laugh. 

Quite a few answers on this thread have given explanations that have been spot on!

It has filled in gaps about things I've seen and sensed at times but haven't been able to articulate well enough.

Having seen the nonsensical stuff you post I would be reluctant to nod to you too in case you wanted to have a conversation. As many have said "get a life". Or is it about wishing to have some one communicate on here as you have no friends? Poor soul. Maybe its the post count?

1 hour ago, JJGreen said:

That's about half a dozen posts on my threads u have made. Each one an odd and disjointed personal attack about me.

I realise you don't live here but if you have an opinion on any of the topics, not the poster, id like to hear an outsiders views

I have probably lived here 24 more years than you !

2 minutes ago, callaway said:

Having seen the nonsensical stuff you post I would be reluctant to nod to you too in case you wanted to have a conversation. As many have said "get a life". Or is it about wishing to have some one communicate on here as you have no friends? Poor soul. Maybe its the post count?

None of that is relevant to the thread topic.

Try not to attack the individual but comment on the topic if u have an opinion