Showing soles of feet

Thian

On 19/08/2016 at 7:05 AM, kannot said:

lets face it.its all a  load of crap, cultural religious nonsense and totally harmless, if you point your foot at someone what "really" happens.............answer is nothing , its not like their head will explode or the filth off  the street will leap from your feet and devour them.

Higher lower oh my goodness.... I live on a  hill am I better than people under me I mean my feet are higher than them all the time, how about when Im on a plane, just nonsense.

Too much of this nonsense in ALL countries of the world.

True,  but it is wise to remember that transgressing what seem to be silly and inconsequential local customs can,  in some parts of the world, result in a swift exit from said world.  Especially where the natives have been primed to resent foreigners.

I am increasingly inclined to believe that Thailand may be, or may be becoming, one of those "parts".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for gods sake  pointing with your foot who cares....

My wife   takes her shoes off to go in  the house if she is wearing them.... thinking about it so do i

but then  we both   walk around inside and out in the garden barefoot most of the time

Plus     .......I would never take my shoes off  to go in a SHOP

love living in thailand but dont understand thais and their rules. gave up trying and now prefer to mix with my own kind. my girl has to tolerate me because we have 2 kids. call me what ever you want but at the end of it i am happier living my life this way. nothing against the thais by the way and i appreciate them letting me stay in their country.

Unless one needs the locals who  subscribe to primitive beliefs and customs, one should not waste one's time worrying about such trifles. The upper class Thais don't lose sleep over it, why should you? 

Rather funny to read of foreigners worrying about whether or not they offend a Thai, when the reality is that the Thai they have put on a level to be adored does not care one bit about them unless it is to get some easy money.

It's very, very simple.  Follow the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do onto you, and observe basic politeness. A quality Thai will not be offended if a foreigner makes an innocent faux pas, and the  reality is that such innocence is obvious. It's different when the person has the aggressive stance and uses the foot or when speaking in a condescending and loud manner.

I once had a Thai berate me for giving him a slap on his head. I didn't lose sleep over it or  care for the simple reason that the person was a thief and a lowlife . The light tap was to remind him that the  change left by a customer was a tip for the staff and not a bonus for Mr. Sticky Fingers.  Thais are very good at the holier than thou routine, especially when they inhabit or are in proximity to the gutter.

Edited by geriatrickid

Two things stand out, the op has a sole fetish and has no hands, to point with.

A suggestion, do not go to a temple, you will see hundreds of soles... oh wait, your fetish will be satisfied.

Another thing, grow up, even Buddha  had soles, in fact on some statues the soles can be seen.

This foot thing, except in temples, is purely thai, and comes from feet being dirty, usully from working outside, as for thais crossing legs, when sitting on chairs, this is comfortable  for them, many do not eat at tables, but sit cross legged on the floor.

Op, you need to eat at home.

Thais are as superstitious as Indians and Haitians and Central Africans.  It's silly at best.  Sometimes harmful (example; a Thai royal drowned because no servants were allowed to touch her).

They know all about 1,000 silly no-no's because they date from ancient times. But they don't have any courtesy edicts about modern issues, such as phones, loudspeakers and motorized vehicles. 

They drive rudely, are rude about using phones (hang up re; wrong numbers), and play loud sounds/music which annoy neighbors.  Wats are as bad, in the loud noise dept, as regular people.

Just now, elgenon said:

What you did was intentional. what she did was not.

Can not use your feet for doing something. I closed a draw with my foot and my GF said not to.

If you intentionally aim your foot at some one . Big trouble.

Whatever you do, dont turn the fan off with your foot, even though the fan is on the floor at foot height. 

Agreed it's toe pointing they don't like. My left ankle was resting on my knee on the BTS once as I have has multiple ankle surgeries and plantar fasciitis and it helps to elevate my foot. My GF said my toe was pointing at someone and I should put it down.  I thought about all the times I gave up my chair to an older Thai as is also supposed to be a custom regardless of my multiple compressed cervical disk and ankle issues.  I thought about all the times young healthy Thai teens have never offered me a seat or even offered their seat to an older or elderly Thai. Then I left my toe right were it was.  The concept that I must comply with their tradition also should come with the benefits of those same traditions.

People really shouldn't encourage any of this foot nonsense. What is the difference between a foot or a hand, that make a foot offensive and a hand appropriate. Sure your feet get dirty quicker because of their location. So keep them clean and ignore  what may or may not be offensive about them.  This country has so many real problems to worry about they really need to advance a wee bit now and then.

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

True,  but it is wise to remember that transgressing what seem to be silly and inconsequential local customs can,  in some parts of the world, result in a swift exit from said world.  Especially where the natives have been primed to resent foreigners.

I am increasingly inclined to believe that Thailand may be, or may be becoming, one of those "parts".

I know what you mean, as there is no doubt that some are looking for an excuse to be offended.

But they are in a minority, most Thais will accept Western mistakes as just that - a mistake.  I've no doubt they will laugh about our ignorance later on with their friends, but that's human nature.

Normal  Thai don't care a bout your soles...

Only the stuck up ones do......Just like in any country in regard to  very very very old rules of etiquette......Nobody in their right mind is bothered by them.

But hey in Europe you would be concidered a peasant too if you place your bare feet on the chair in a resaturant, so that's not a typical thai trade i guess.

Edited by BuriramDevelopers

16 minutes ago, BuriramDevelopers said:

Normal  Thai don't care a bout your soles...

Only the stuck up ones do......Just like in any country in regard to  very very very old rules of etiquette......Nobody in their right mind is bothered by them.

But hey in Europe you would be concidered a peasant too if you place your bare feet on the chair in a resaturant, so that's not a typical thai trade i guess.

Try stamping on a bht note in front of Thais, and then come back and tell us that it is only the 'stuck up' Thais that care about these things.

On 8/19/2016 at 3:14 PM, sipi said:

So pointing your smelly feet at a fellow passenger on the Piccadilly line is ok?

Smelly feet on the London underground is the least of my worries. I sometimes think the Brits achieved their empire while everyone else was gagging on their smell.

Q. " How do you get an Englishman out of the shower?"

A. "Throw a bar of soap in".

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Whatever you do, dont turn the fan off with your foot, even though the fan is on the floor at foot height. 

Nonsense. My Thai GF does it all the time, and she has never reproached me for so doing.

The basic concept of pointing at someone with your foot is the implication you are treading on their face. Inanimate objects, with the exception of currency, which bears the face of royalty, don't qualify.

7 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

Nonsense. My Thai GF does it all the time, and she has never reproached me for so doing.

The basic concept of pointing at someone with your foot is the implication you are treading on their face. Inanimate objects, with the exception of currency, which bears the face of royalty, don't qualify.

So a doormat made from a Thai flag would be acceptable ?

9 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Some adopt sensible Thai hygiene, and leave the primitive Western practices behind.

Like leaving food out all day and then having it for supper, like chopping up a chicken on a cutting board and then using the same board yet unwashed to cut up fruit.

On 19-8-2016 at 1:05 PM, kannot said:

lets face it.its all a  load of crap, cultural religious nonsense and totally harmless, if you point your foot at someone what "really" happens.............answer is nothing , its not like their head will explode or the filth off  the street will leap from your feet and devour them.

Higher lower oh my goodness.... I live on a  hill am I better than people under me I mean my feet are higher than them all the time, how about when Im on a plane, just nonsense.

Too much of this nonsense in ALL countries of the world.

Well i've been here more than a decade and thought i knew all the Thai rules about being polite.

When i look at the Thai soapseries they just do everything wrong on tv....yelling, fighting, raping, shooting, men hitting women...

NOT touching the head of children is also mentioned in the lonely planet. Being in Thailand for 14 years i see everyone doing it. Guess it's another myth about thailand.

On 21-8-2016 at 8:07 AM, Rorri said:

Two things stand out, the op has a sole fetish and has no hands, to point with.

A suggestion, do not go to a temple, you will see hundreds of soles... oh wait, your fetish will be satisfied.

Another thing, grow up, even Buddha  had soles, in fact on some statues the soles can be seen.

This foot thing, except in temples, is purely thai, and comes from feet being dirty, usully from working outside, as for thais crossing legs, when sitting on chairs, this is comfortable  for them, many do not eat at tables, but sit cross legged on the floor.

Op, you need to eat at home.

And you better go home! Seems to me you have never heard about thai etiquette.

10 hours ago, smokie36 said:

Ye gawds I need a beer after reading this pedantic thread.

OP choose more attractive places to sit and enjoy your lunch.

I've seen them putting feet on chairs and aiming soles at me several times...also in good restaurants like i mentioned in this thread.

I don't eat in the Siam-area all the time like you do, i live in the subs and never hang around with farang.

This weekend i was in a resort with 15 Thai, the young lads liked to cheers drinks with me but they make VERY sure to have their glass lower than mine. 

Not all of them do that by the way, maybe some of them don't respect me as much as the ones who do? Or they just don't care at all for the higher/lower thing?

Another thing is who refills the glasses when they run out of whisky. They never ever let me refill my glass myself, seems to be against their etiquette. There's always one of the young guys who becomes the "barkeeper" and they take that job very serious.

The only contributions from you to this forum is about dining in restaurants around Sukhumvit, if that's your Thailand than good for you but outside Sukhumvit is another world, maybe you should check it out one day.

On 8/18/2016 at 6:31 PM, Thian said:

I see, so it's about high and low...

I have a nice couch for sitting but our guests (Thai) like to sit on the floor with their back against the sofa. Then they push the sofa against the steel windowbars so the leather gets damaged. Also they let their kids jump on the sofa and even when they tell her to stop it the kid won't listen at all and keeps on jumping. It's a lazyboy so it really annoys me...

Also the lazyboy recliner, they like to sit on it with 2 or 3 people together, it's not designed for that and the rocking mechanism will damage from it. I told them about it but next time they do it again.

Or they put their purses/bags on my leather lazyboy, i don't like that but warning them doesn't help at all.

When people sit on the floor i always step over them with my size 13. I'm very tall so it's easy for me, they have never told me to not do that.

When i'm eating in a restaurant i don't like to see soles of feet, clean or not for me they are all dirty.

In the skytrain i also see Thai with their bare feet on the chairs and even picking their feet between the toe's...after that they pick their nose again or squeeze a pimple...brrrrr.

Also some shops (like my motobike dealer) want their customers to take their shoe's off when entering the showroom. I always forget it and also think it's dirty to walk there on bare feet.  Their dogs also walk there and also don't take their shoe's off.

Poor baby how do you cope living among such heathen natives ? maybe you should get some counselling to get you over these traumatic events