Savannakhet Consulate Closing?

how many posts get started here on tv on the basis of 'i heard'? and how many times do they have real implications?

let's hope the  'concerned relative'  is wrong, i shall wait to hear from 'you - know -who'.

cheers

mft

Edited by manfredtillmann
spelling error
  • Like 1

^ +1 @manfredtillmann

This closing (if it is true) would most certainly have serious implications for a lot of members who use a Non-O (including myself). If this turns out to be true, I (personally) will have to go very soon to Laos and get a new Non-O.

Will wait and see and just hope that what the OP posted is just a misunderstanding.

:wai:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

If it helps, I know the man personally and he is in Savannakhet right now. He applied for a 3-month tourist visa and was told not to come back in three months because the consulate would not be there. (NOT because of previous visas or anything of the sort.) He is staying the weekend and will go back to find out more on Monday. In addition, we also plan to call the consulate on Monday.

I am not posting to start any kind of rumor at all. I am due to go to Savannakhet next month and only due to circumstance did not book my travel and hotels two days ago. I have checked the consulate website and did not find any information there. The question I posed is sincere. I would like to know if anyone else knows any more about this. I certainly will share any more information I get in the coming days and happily admit if there was a misunderstanding between them and him, or him and me.

As a last note, if the 'visa' section of the forum entitled 'thai visa' is not the place to ask a QUESTION like this, then I suppose I will have to wander outside and ask (comment edited seeing as the helpful guy above me has a buffalo icon, too. :-))

Edited by Concerned Relative
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Seems unlikely after all of the money they have spent building the new place.

Gets sold on  to the next party. But who is going to buy it in ZVK as there is not much to do ;)

Edited by MJCM

Just now, thaitero said:

Means nothing if someone high enough sees this visafactory bad for country..

I think you would find that the embassy in Vientiane issues more visas than Savannakhet.

It is a official Thai consulate so not easy to close. It also serves as diplomatic post for Thailand.

1 hour ago, Concerned Relative said:

Well, I don't want to confuse anyone by bumping up this post, but I do want to clear it all up.

Two calls to the consulate and both were answered that the consulate will NOT be closing. As many of us had hoped, what my friend was told was simply hot air out of one official, most likely due to the number of visas already in the passport. (It will forever perplex me as to why some officers will tell you the reason straight to your face and others will go so far as to suggest something like this rather than just tell you.)

Also sorry for any undue worry, but I'm still glad I asked.

It would be genuinely interesting to know your friend's visa history that led the official to decide no more visas would be issued. In particular, I have always wondered if visas from Vientiane and Savannakhet are treated separately or considered together when deciding whether to cut someone off. Also, does a visit back to your home country reset the count?