Home Blood Pressure monitor

evadgib

On 22August 2016 at 9:55 PM, ravip said:

Why is the BP high taken just after waking up in the morning? Any particular reason? 

Well it shouldn't be as the body has been at rest. (However it can be high due to not sleeping well, for instance or due to having high BP) ...  A BP measure taken first thing will be a good indicator of whether you have hypertension ... but as I have said before, don't conclude that on one reading. Measure it over a couple of weeks and see what the averages are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I have had arrhythmia for years and it doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

There is some interesting information about it here.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/Arrhythmia_UCM_002013_SubHomePage.jsp

I have also had it a long time and take aspirin, if I remember right you said you take warfarin. When it was diagnosed the doctor referred to it as atrial fibrillation and gave me reams of paper on it. He wanted to put me on warfarin but I refused. It doesn't affect you just the risk of blood clotting in the heart and ending up in the brain.

It can go away on its own and every now and again the detector on my monitor doesn't come on and I get a bit optimistic but never lasts long.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think that's a very good idea with a potentially huge market.

we all love gadgets , we all have computers

Next we can make a laptop battery charger / bicycle  pedal set-up where you can only charge your computer by doing exercise ,

it will sell very well with good intentions to use it  , and then sit in the closet gathering dust

Bought an OMRON  HEM 775 today at my local flea market  for $8 , never used / original box :)

then my friend walks up and asks do I want another new one that the VA bought for him and he never used , 

So next week I will have 2 of them and can compare :)

this one does a single test  or it will do 3 tests and average them ,  which one is better ?

10 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

Bought an OMRON  HEM 775 today at my local flea market  for $8 , never used / original box :)

then my friend walks up and asks do I want another new one that the VA bought for him and he never used , 

So next week I will have 2 of them and can compare :)

this one does a single test  or it will do 3 tests and average them ,  which one is better ?

Here is a link to the manual for it.

http://personalcare.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/omron_healthcare/hem775.html

If your friend has anymore lying around as new, doing nothing I will take one off his hands. I live in rural Thailand  and finding a shop with a decent selection is a minimum 130 km return trip of buy on line.

Today I got an OMRON HEM-637 , blood pressure monitor that attaches to your wrist 

Hey it was only $1 at a yard sale , 

I am going to wait until I get the other new one and then do a side by side test, 

Will the WRIST monitor give as  accurate of a reading compared to the ARM monitor ?

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No - wrist type is known to be highly unreliable for anything but pulse readings.  Quick Google should confirm that.

i had my two wrist-type gadgets tested several times in the hospital. result: accuracy plus/minus 5%

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Here is a link to the manual for it.

http://personalcare.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/omron_healthcare/hem775.html

If your friend has anymore lying around as new, doing nothing I will take one off his hands. I live in rural Thailand  and finding a shop with a decent selection is a minimum 130 km return trip of buy on line.

lazada  do delivery.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect your units were a bit more expensive than most of us buy and used with German engineering precision however?  Suspect most of us would not have attained that accuracy even with your meters.  :)

they were much more expensive then those offered on ebay and amazon, but i doubt that they were produced in Germany. will try to find the packing as there is nothing written on the instruments. the Mrs says she bought them in a German medical supply store and paid for each around €125.- eight years ago.

The comment was more to the operator than the equipment source - they are very hard to use for most people as placement needs to be exact - where as the upper arm band is much less demanding so those of us with less than German discipline can most often get them to work well.  

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The comment was more to the operator than the equipment source - they are very hard to use for most people as placement needs to be exact - where as the upper arm band is much less demanding so those of us with less than German discipline can most often get them to work well.  

Like anything else, proper use is important. If one assumes they are the same as a cuff-type, one will get errors. If one reads the instructions and uses the wrist-type correctly, the 'errors' will be very low-order. I have both types as the wrist-type is a lot easier for traveling but after getting home, doing a once-monthly cross-check between that one and the cuff-type indicates that there's no significant difference. Been that way with the one I bought in Walgreens over 12 years ago (until the LCD display crapped out last year) and the new replacement one purchased online.

I had a cheap wrist unit and tried for several weeks (after also looking up readable - but often conflicting - instructions on internet) and never got a valid reading from it - true it was cheap but even the cheapest arm type seems to work a whole lot better for me.  

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

lazada  do delivery.

The shop where I order my meds do it as well though I have to tell them exactly what I want and if they stock it, it will usually arrive the following day. If they don't stock they will order it for me.

On 8/23/2016 at 3:20 PM, sandyf said:

I have a Microlife BP 3BM1-4D, seems to do the job. One of the features is you can have single or triple reading. On the triple it takes 3 consecutive readings and displays the average. Also has arrhythmia detection, keep hoping not to see that on the display.

The one I purchased yesterday is the same model except for a 3 instead of your 4D on the end. Lazada etc would have taken a month (large collar/'Ships from abroad') but I found one in my local Tesco/Boots and was pleased at the level of service by the pharmacist selling it. I have opened a spreadsheet and will monitor my BP daily until my next scheduled appointment.

My BP is a little high but doing it at home in ideal conditions brought me down to 131/77 with a pulse of 73. 

On 8/28/2016 at 0:18 PM, evadgib said:

The one I purchased yesterday is the same model except for a 3 instead of your 4D on the end. Lazada etc would have taken a month (large collar/'Ships from abroad') but I found one in my local Tesco/Boots and was pleased at the level of service by the pharmacist selling it. I have opened a spreadsheet and will monitor my BP daily until my next scheduled appointment.

My BP is a little high but doing it at home in ideal conditions brought me down to 131/77 with a pulse of 73. 

I got mine at the local pharmacy also very good service. I tried out the one I bought before leaving the shop.

In the back of my booklet there are some blank templates for recording readings, one day I will get round to scanning them into the computer and using them.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I got mine at the local pharmacy also very good service. I tried out the one I bought before leaving the shop.

In the back of my booklet there are some blank templates for recording readings, one day I will get round to scanning them into the computer and using them.

Use the Android App S Health to record your BP.

My Microlife BPM stopped working properly yesterday and kept giving me Err #2 which says my arm is moving. I tried a few times more and gave up. I went for a traditional Thai massage at the health clinic and using their BPM my BP was OK.

I tried again today and got the same error code. In the end I put new batteries in and it was OK.

There was no low Battery warning though.

31 minutes ago, BKKdreaming said:

My buddy brought me the other new one that the VA gave him , 

it is a Life Source UA 767 Plus

and there is a good simple youtube video on how to put the cuff at the right place and use it,

I need to go get some batteries and do a test and compare.....

New batteries always help.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my readings for this morning. I was in my TV chair for the first two (bottom) then moved to the couch. Does anyone have any idea why my readings are so high while i'm on meds and feel generally ok?

SYS-DIA-P    Time

135-68-70    1200hrs

132-74-71    1158hrs

162-81-73    1155hrs

171-85-78   1144hrs

171-93-77    1142hrs

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Here are my readings for this morning. I was in my TV chair for the first two (bottom) then moved to the couch. Does anyone have any idea why my readings are so high while i'm on meds and feel generally ok?

SYS-DIA-P    Time

135-68-70    1200hrs

132-74-71    1158hrs

162-81-73    1155hrs

171-85-78   1144hrs

171-93-77    1142hrs

On the inside of the cuff from my Micro life is a diagram showing where to position it for the correct pressure reading.

I am 72 years old, about 121 kg, my exercise is generally cutting the grass and scrub for an hour or so Monday to Friday and sometimes I use my elliptical beast at the weekend.

I had 2 stents fitted about 10 years ago and I am on 4 medications for that every day.

If I were you I would go to your local hospital, clinic or doctor with your own BP tester and get them to check your blood pressure with their machine and do the same test again with yours to compare the results. If possible go to all 3 separately and log the results.

I have attached a spreadsheet which I use which gives some information on what the SYS, DIA BP levels mean.

I hope that this is of help to you.

Keep healthy as there are not enough of us old buggers left.

blood pressure 2016.xls

bp_3ap13e manual.pdf

On 30/08/2016 at 10:49 AM, sandyf said:

Not that useful.

" This app is incompatible with all of your devices. "

But you can record the BP results manually and export to your PC as a .csv file.

Further, it gives a summary of average BP weekly, monthly etc.