Streaming computer signal to TV?

Kenny202

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Samsung Note 3. I don't know why thats relevant but if it makes you happy :-)

If it weren't relevant I wouldn't ask. /shrug

Having an Android smartphone makes things a lot simpler, potentially. You can run the Netflix app on the phone, and cast (download Google Cast, or one of the other casting programs) it to any Android-capable stick or box. No need to use the macbook. And you may be able to set up a media server on the macbook, and use a DLNA app to stream content on the macbook to a android stick. Obviously an android box can accept a USB or hdd, and run the Android Netflix app natively.

That said, you should probably review the Netflix/OZ "Terms of Use" re: streaming outside of Australia. I'd be surprised if it were allowed? It may be as most people in Australia leech the Netflix/USA service.

I have a Samsung Note 3. I don't know why thats relevant but if it makes you happy :-)

Having an Android smartphone makes things a lot simpler, potentially. You can run the Netflix app on the phone, and cast (download Google Cast, or one of the other casting programs) it to any Android-capable stick or box. No need to use the macbook. And you may be able to set up a media server on the macbook, and use a DLNA app to stream content on the macbook to a android stick. Obviously an android box can accept a USB or hdd, and run the Android Netflix app natively.

That said, you should probably review the Netflix/OZ "Terms of Use" re: streaming outside of Australia. I'd be surprised if it were allowed? It may be as most people in Australia leech the Netflix/USA service.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

If you have a Samsung Note and a Smart Tv you should be able to setup up a " Screenshare " or "Screen mirror" or "direct share" to easily view whatever you are watching on your tablet/phone on your TV.

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yes I have HDMI ports on my TV. Where does the USB stick plug in?

you want someone to come over to khonkaen and set it up for you?

Jeez…everyone just told you…get a chrome cast or a fire stick.

Google both….there will be 100s of reviews and experiences to compare for yourself.

I think a chrome cast is about US$35….firestick costs a bit more.

49 minutes ago, avander said:

If you have a Samsung Note and a Smart Tv you should be able to setup up a " Screenshare " or "Screen mirror" or "direct share" to easily view whatever you are watching on your tablet/phone on your TV.

Yes, assuming his TV is capable. Again, that's why I asked the first question(s)...

make/model of TV; is it smart? does it have ethernet or wifi, does it have HDMI, is it HD capable

but no answer, so it makes it really difficult to help people.

My guess is that his tv model does not support this sort of advanced feature, and that he'd be best off with a stick or box.

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, assuming his TV is capable. Again, that's why I asked the first question(s)...

make/model of TV; is it smart? does it have ethernet or wifi, does it have HDMI, is it HD capable

My guess is that his tv model does not support this sort of advanced feature, and that he'd be best off with a stick or box.

I wouldn't call HDMI an "advanced feature".

5 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

That is what the "mirroring" capabilities of the Apple TV offer

I cant use apple TV apparently. Well not for mirroring my Macbook anyway. Machine has to be post 2011 (Airport)

or so the guy in I studio told me. I really like the look of the Android boxes actually and look like have tons of features. I just don't know if it will allow me to stream from my mac?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I have mentioned the TV isn't a smart TV several times. If it was and had internet / Wifi capabilities I wouldn't be looking for a transmitting device

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I watch Australian Netflix here without any problems.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

you want someone to come over to khonkaen and set it up for you?

Jeez…everyone just told you…get a chrome cast or a fire stick.

Google both….there will be 100s of reviews and experiences to compare for yourself.

I think a chrome cast is about US$35….firestick costs a bit more.

Where did u see a Chromecast for $35? Best I can find around 2000 baht

Chromecast is $35 (USD) from the Play Store in the U.S. (plus any tax, shipping may be free in the U.S.?).

Note that the current version (2.0) supports also 5 GHz WiFi.

Many shops here import these. I already posted the pricing in post #17, for official Chromecasts, and a range for knock-offs.

Chromecast has a native Netflix app, imports available here for ~ 2,000-2,300 THB. Other similar sticks are available for as little as 700-1,000 THB. A simple Android box, which can do a lot more, can be had for as little as 1,200-1,500 THB.

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Chromecast is $35 (USD) from the Play Store in the U.S. (plus any tax, shipping may be free in the U.S.?).

Note that the current version (2.0) supports also 5 GHz WiFi.

Many shops here import these. I already posted the pricing in post #17, for official Chromecasts, and a range for knock-offs.

Chromecast has a native Netflix app, imports available here for ~ 2,000-2,300 THB. Other similar sticks are available for as little as 700-1,000 THB. A simple Android box, which can do a lot more, can be had for as little as 1,200-1,500 THB.

The Chromecast does look like what I was initially looking for but I agree the Android boxes to seem to offer a lot more for a lot less. One I'm looking at is this one...

http://www.lazada.co.th/xtreme-mxq-quad-core-android-tv-box-multi-media-gateway-mediaplayer-6546260.html?mp=1

I cant seem to see if it will allow me to stream straight off my mac though? For example I want to play a movie I have on my Mac hard drive. 

multiple ways to connect stuff together and keep it all in sync

depending on your TV abilities there is a very simple way to do this.

set your TV and PC on the same network (lan is best but wifi should work if it is "n" or better)

open windows media player and you will notice an option at the top called streaming - enable it

if your TV is has DNLA it should see your shared content from the PC

however I use a different approach and have two computers and two Samsung TV's

The computers are connected via a direct lan cable, one computer is the master where all my media is stored and updated, I then use a tool call syctoy to keep both sets of folders updated and in sync on the two pc's, I do this simply because I don't want to have the 2x pc's on at the same time otherwise I could just share folders out over the network, depending on your router you could also connect direct storage there but if it supports usb - again lots of solutions depending on your needs, the only time my two pc's are on at the same time is when I sync the folder sets

as for Netflix, your TV should have a Netflix app built in, if so and you are using vpn on your laptop/computer then you can share your vpn connection from the laptop/computer (which is connected to the internet) out to the TV either over wifi or lan, it is pretty simple to do this then your TV is effectively connected through vpn, I use this method to watch all UK TV channels on both my Samsung TV's which have the apps built in, your router may also have vpn abilities

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I cant use apple TV apparently. Well not for mirroring my Macbook anyway. Machine has to be post 2011 (Airport)

or so the guy in I studio told me. I really like the look of the Android boxes actually and look like have tons of features. I just don't know if it will allow me to stream from my mac?

the android box plugs directly into your TV and you us the Netflix app on the android box to watch Netflix, no need to use the mac at all, the android box has wifi, I assume you can watch Netflix on your phone if you want too, if so, the android box is like a smartphone using your tv as the screen, the only difference is that is doesn't have or need a sim card

I cant seem to see if it will allow me to stream straight off my mac though? For example I want to play a movie I have on my Mac hard drive. 

Yes, with the proper media server/DLNA software on your macbook, and with an Android box and the macbook on the same network, you should be able to stream a movie off your macbook, via an android box to your tv. Android boxes usually have multiple USB and uSD slots, so alternatively you can simply use a USB stick or external HDD, add media from the mac, then plug it into the android box.

Andriod Boxes are great, I have 3 of them. One turns my vanilla TV into a smart TV, another has all the movies and acts as a server, Another sits in the stairwell outside and gets the weak wifi signal and hotspots it to my room.

They are mini PCs, without a screen. most things you can do with a PC, you can do with an Android box, limited only by the apps you install.

I have both a Chromecast and an Android box. Both are used quite a bit depending on the application. Given that you can get an Android box here for less than a Chromecast, and if you could get only one device, then yes, a no-brainer, get an Android box. It does everything a Chromecast can do, and so, so, so, so much more.

Admittedly the Chromecast is a bit more idiot-proof re: set-up and use, and the ability to utilize an Android smartphone as a "remote", is a huge plus. I've been using the AIS Play Android app. to streamcast all 13 of their Olympics channels to my Chromecast, but I could do the same to my Android box.

27 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Sure, an Android box can do more. But if you're actually paying attention to what the OP is asking, a Chromecast is the better answer.

I actually did say a few posts back I initially wanted a simple mirroring device like a chrome cast but realise the android box may be more desirable.  I got on one Lazada 700 baht. Comes very well reccomended and sells locally here for 2000 baht plus. I do like the way you can use ur smart phone as a remote on the chromecast. May be that I will have to get a chrome cast. We're going to flick true vision and use this box exclusively. I'm wondering how the missus will search and get her Thai TV shows. I guess the android box will be able to change languages for her to search

Edited by Kenny202

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I actually did say a few posts back I initially wanted a simple mirroring device like a chrome cast but realise the android box may be more desirable.  I got on one Lazada 700 baht. Comes very well reccomended and sells locally here for 2000 baht plus. I do like the way you can use ur smart phone as a remote on the chromecast. May be that I will have to get a chrome cast. We're going to flick true vision and use this box exclusively. I'm wondering how the missus will search and get her Thai TV shows. I guess the android box will be able to change languages for her to search

If you get an android box and put on an app called Kodi, which does lots of things, library for your movies, streaming content, add thai subs to movies etc. I have kodi on my laptop and kodi on android box, send movies from one to the other. There are hundreds of thai apps availible for android box for the girlfriend to find thai shows.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

Sure, an Android box can do more. But if you're actually paying attention to what the OP is asking, a Chromecast is the better answer.

I guess, but as stated, an Android Box does everything a Chromecast does, and much, much, much, much more. And it is easier to get here, and costs less here. That's the very definition of a no-brainer.

That said, the OP modified his requirements as the thread progressed; I'm not certain he exactly knew what he wanted, or what was even possible?

"I guess the android box will be able to change languages for her to search"

Yes, it will probably come with Thai defaulted? And it may have Thai TV Kodi Addons, or other streaming app/links, already installed.

There is the Android UI, a potential skin, the Play Store, input, display, and app. language options to deal with.

Edited by mtls2005

37 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you get an android box and put on an app called Kodi, which does lots of things, library for your movies, streaming content, add thai subs to movies etc. I have kodi on my laptop and kodi on android box, send movies from one to the other. There are hundreds of thai apps availible for android box for the girlfriend to find thai shows.

SO I guess she will be able to connect her Samsung Tablet with Kodi to the Android box? Would be great for here as she can use the Thai keyboard on the tablet.

How does the Samsung connect to the Android Box?

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

SO I guess she will be able to connect her Samsung Tablet with Kodi to the Android box? Would be great for here as she can use the Thai keyboard on the tablet.

How does the Samsung connect to the Android Box?

The way I do it is Kodi on both devices. example, the android box can have a movie on it, and be the kodi server. the tablet can have kodi on it and be the client, watch the movie from the box on the tablet.

Kodi is open source and there are add on for lots things, add thai subtitles to movies, client server between devices, catalog your movies (complete with dvd cover artwork), Stream movies, news (GOT 10 mins after its released, not exactly legal) etc. Its a bit of a learning curve, but can do lots of things.

There are often kodi threads running in the IT forums.

Edited by Peterw42