Prayut performs better after two years in office

rooster59

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.57 = 75.7% which would be a "C" or average grade. 6.19 = 61.9% = a "D" grade in standard school grading, but if sub 60% they have advanced from flunking to barely passing. Has it really been 2 years? Must be having a heck of a time finding that democracy so they can return it to rightful owners.

3 hours ago, lucky11 said:

I think that more Thais than farangs live in Thailand - could it not be the case that he is popular with his nation's people, if not you blinkered foreigners? You are not going to suggest to me that the referendum results (a resounding 'yes' to both questions), were rigged, are you?

I think he has done a splendid job on corruption and in creating stability in Thailand. Now that the economy is making great strides I hope that he does become prime minister in the future to finish the admirable job he has so far started!!

"could it not be the case that he is popular with his nation's people?"

Not round here it couldn't, People round here think he's a thief in more ways than just forbidding an examination of how he got unusually rich.

"I think he has done a splendid job on corruption and in creating stability in Thailand."

Goes to show that some folk are harder to please than others I suppose...

"I hope that he does become prime minister in the future to finish the admirable job he has so far started!!"

Excellent. Call round any time to collect your 100 baht.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

3 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

Either you werent here 20 years ago or have a very bad memory.

&....can you list the western countries which have successfully stopped terrorism or have you not been watching the news recently?

Can you list the  countries where 'terrorism' has won democracy?

Winnie

15 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

so 400 random people each, quite an exaustive  poll then or did it take forever to find people who give a <deleted>

400 people not random and answers carefully screened from 600 responses; asking questions carefully loaded to suggest the 'right' answer, and no possible for 'no, the POS has done a crappy job, get rid of him'.

Tricks of the trade.

Winnie

2 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

Depends on the definition of "successfully stopped terrorism"?

Say anything over ten successful bombings or mass shootings in one year a would be a fail. 

And maybe say two or less in a year could be considered a success...

Lets go on body count over the last 12 months, where does Thailand stack up against say Belgium and France?

If you think western countries are "successfully" winning the war on terror you really are beyond help...

12 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

Can you list the  countries where 'terrorism' has won democracy?

Winnie

Can you quote me making any such claim? ....Otherwise It might be past your bedtime Winnie.

Go talk to the people living in ISIS/Taliban controlled areas about democracy ;)

ps

How exactly does terrorism win democracy anyway?

15 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

400 people not random and answers carefully screened from 600 responses; asking questions carefully loaded to suggest the 'right' answer, and no possible for 'no, the POS has done a crappy job, get rid of him'.

Tricks of the trade.

Winnie

Where is your evidence or did you pull that out your ass?

5 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:    NUFF SAID......

Yes - the fact that this 'poll' was conducted by Bangkok University says it all: the hub of autocrat worshippers and engineers of the Single Internet Gateway (their past 'president', Utama, that is). As you say: 'enough said'!

Edited by Eligius

I feel so warm and fuzzy knowing that Thailand is on the right course with this coup gov't -- the 19th one (or 12th depending on their viewed level of success), I believe. I'm pretty sure the people who've provided these numbers will see no need for any elections in the future, and every two years the junta government's approval will rise until it's a perfect ten. That should only take another 20 years or so, so just sit back, shut up, and go along for the ride. 

Edited by Inn Between

The problem with foreigners continually criticising the Pm and The government is that they are stuck on the so called  democratic elections they appear to have in their own countries and try and get Thailand to emulate them. However, Thai people have a different perspective and are not necessarily hung up on the democratic model.  Most Thais I know give the General approval in that he has stabilized Thailand from the bickering and violence of massive street demonstrations and a corrupt prior elected government bought by a megalomaniac former Thai Pm who is afraid to return to his own country. The prior 'elected' government destroyed Thailand's position as the number one exporter of Thai rice and then refused to pay the farmers what they had promised.

The sad thing is that there is no credible political person or persons that has any agenda other than their own and never has put forth any step by step plan to actually help the poor of Thailand. It almost seems as if prior politicians of Thailand are copying the American election dynamics of talking but never  doing anything . Of course, America is a democracy so that makes it all right?

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The problem with foreigners continually criticising the Pm and The government is that they are stuck on the so called  democratic elections they appear to have in their own countries and try and get Thailand to emulate them. However, Thai people have a different perspective and are not necessarily hung up on the democratic model.  Most Thais I know give the General approval in that he has stabilized Thailand from the bickering and violence of massive street demonstrations and a corrupt prior elected government bought by a megalomaniac former Thai Pm who is afraid to return to his own country. The prior 'elected' government destroyed Thailand's position as the number one exporter of Thai rice and then refused to pay the farmers what they had promised.

The sad thing is that there is no credible political person or persons that has any agenda other than their own and never has put forth any step by step plan to actually help the poor of Thailand. It almost seems as if prior politicians of Thailand are copying the American election dynamics of talking but never  doing anything . Of course, America is a democracy so that makes it all right?

A lot of truth in what you say and Democracy doesn't always throw up the best leaders for sure.   Adolf Hitler and George Bush were elected by their own people in the 'normal' democratic way and they both did massive damage to their own countries and Worldwide.

So are you the new junta spokesperson with the same old and propaganda? 

Well if you wanted to find examples of Bangkok elite yellow shirt scum oppressors, where better to look than Bangkok University, or any of the other Bangkok located universities for that matter.

Monty Python had the right answer to the question how do you know an elite, though they used the word king.

42 minutes ago, halloween said:

Well if you wanted to find examples of Bangkok elite yellow shirt scum oppressors, where better to look than Bangkok University, or any of the other Bangkok located universities for that matter.

Monty Python had the right answer to the question how do you know an elite, though they used the word king.

I actually liked your comments above, Halloween (and I appreciate the great Monty Python reference) - but I am not sure if you were being sarcastic or not!

Perhaps one Bangkok university which is an exception to what you state is Thammasat. They have a noble record of bravery.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Another "Most Thais I know..." rational.    Where do these "most thais" come from, and are you certain they are being open and honest with a foreigner?

Regarding all the rest of your post--you didn't like the election result so you think a corrupt self-serving military will provide a better leader  than the voters.  One of those "It's only democracy if I agree with the result, otherwise the election was a fraud, the country isn't ready for democracy, there can't be another election until the voters vote the way I want them to, blah blah blah..." poster.

It doesn't matter whether I liked the election result or not- the fact is that the prior Thai election was bought and paid for by a very wealthy fugitive and his family and the results of these elections have been disastrous for Thailand.  I don't need the local Thai people to tell me what is so obvious to a discerning eye. However, the Thai people I interact with tell me they are generally better off now than they were with previous Thai elected governments. They would have no reason to withhold their feelings as I am no threat to either side of the argument.

Frankly, Democracy is overrated - look at the US and its election process- where elections are bought by the person and group who has the largest bankroll and then we the minions get to choose whoever is left. I doubt this is what the framers of the US Constitution had in mind.  

Thailand doesn't need to be lectured by a group of foreigners  who can't vote and have no real feel for what the Thai people actually want or believe and don't even understand the history of the country,

The sad fact is that when elections are held in Thailand there will be no positive change if the politicians are allowed to revert back to their greedy and selfish ways- the wealthy will still control the 'democratic process' and the poor will remain poor and uneducated. However, with the Junta looking over their shoulders- some of them may actually try and do something for the country and people. It is the same for the US- it doesn't matter who's in power- nothing ever changes. Ask yourselves about progress in your own countries?  Has the democratic process improved your birth country over the last 10, 20 or 30 years? At least in Thailand, the Junta has given some hope that they will try and facilitate some type of forward progress.

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

Another "Most Thais I know..." rational.    Where do these "most thais" come from, and are you certain they are being open and honest with a foreigner?

Regarding all the rest of your post--you didn't like the election result so you think a corrupt self-serving military will provide a better leader  than the voters.  One of those "It's only democracy if I agree with the result, otherwise the election was a fraud, the country isn't ready for democracy, there can't be another election until the voters vote the way I want them to, blah blah blah..." poster.

It doesn't matter whether I liked the election result or not- the fact is that the prior Thai election was bought and paid for by a very wealthy fugitive and his family and the results of these elections have been disastrous for Thailand.  I don't need the local Thai people to tell me what is so obvious to a discerning eye. However, the Thai people I interact with tell me they are generally better off now than they were with previous Thai elected governments. They would have no reason to withhold their feelings as I am no threat to either side of the argument.

Frankly, Democracy is overrated - look at the US and its election process- where elections are bought by the person and group who has the largest bankroll and then we the minions get to choose whoever is left. I doubt this is what the framers of the US Constitution had in mind.  

Thailand doesn't need to be lectured by a group of foreigners  who can't vote and have no real feel for what the Thai people actually want or believe and don't even understand the history of the country,

The sad fact is that when elections are held in Thailand there will be no positive change if the politicians are allowed to revert back to their greedy and selfish ways- the wealthy will still control the 'democratic process' and the poor will remain poor and uneducated. However, with the Junta looking over their shoulders- some of them may actually try and do something for the country and people. It is the same for the US- it doesn't matter who's in power- nothing ever changes. Ask yourselves about progress in your own countries?  Has the democratic process improved your birth country over the last 10, 20 or 30 years? At least in Thailand, the Junta has given some hope that they will try and facilitate some type of forward progress.

You took very little time proving my point, you don't like the election outcome so you deny the legitimacy of the 2011 election, which was monitored by ANFREL and declared legitimate.  My guess is that you also think the referendum was legitimate, even though the population was bombarded with propaganda, debate was stifled and nothing prevented the junta from announcing any election result it wanted because there was no independent monitoring of the vote or vote count.

You passed on the opportunity to provide any information about the "most Thais" you base your observations on.  My guess is that they live in Bangkok, the city that can count on being the focus of all attention and investment from unelected governments.  Most Thais I know from outside of Bangkok want to have some say in who governs their country.

"However, with the Junta looking over their shoulders " the Thai government will be constantly reminded that the military is the real power in Thailand so they better not cut it's bloated budget, reduce the ridiculous number of generals, provide much needed transparency into its corrupt operations, or, god forbid, put it under civilian control

No one will deny that democracy has its flaws, but at least with democracy the voters get the government it deserves.  You and many others reject democracy in Thailand based on the very short periods when democracy was tolerated by the military.  Instead you put your faith in a thoroughly corrupt, self-serving military.  Clearly you are thrilled that the military imposed order by detaining all that oppose it and eliminating freedom of expression and assembly.  Do you have any other reason for your faith in military rule?

In two years, foreign investment has fallen 80 and 90 percent. GDP has been close to 0 and then 3 percent. This is one of the lowest growth rates in the region, and world bank estimates that it should be at 4-5 percent (with a stable and competent government). The country has received scathing human rights reports from all international monitoring agencies who work in that area. We recently lost a UN council security seat to Kazakhstan.

The current leaders have kicked dirt into the face of their longtime western allies by lying, even at the highest diplomatic levels, about the possibility and then intent of the military takeover. The regime separated 109 Uigur asylum seekers from their families and sent them back to China to face certain torture and imprisonment while leaving its own citizens and foreign tourists vulnerable to the retaliatory terrorist attack at Erawan shrine, first blaming their political enemies and then quietly backtracking. They failed to keep peace talks open with the southern insurgents, once again putting their own citizens and visiting tourists at increasing risk.

But I'm sure as long as the Thais in some people's circles are mostly unaware and unaffected, everything must be going well for everyone.

I would suggest you sit down with a citizen of Thailand and state to that person what you state on this board and see what kind of reaction you get. The average Thai person doesn't care one iota about Ughurs; Southern Extremists; people disagreeing with the Junta and all the other things you mentioned in these posts. They care about how much they can make to care for their families; the price of goods and services and whether the government is providing for their interests. They actually could care less about democracy, voting and all the other things as Westerners you feel are so important.  You don't have to believe me- look around-there are no mobs in the streets protesting this and that; the farmers have a firm price on their rice; tourist numbers are high; Thailand has Olympic Champions: Thais have access to credit and are buying cars at a fast rate; the Government Housing Bank is making funds available for new homes; the middle class is taking vacations all over Thailand.  The only people who have an issue are those in Issan who believe that their savior- a meglomaniac convicted criminal is going to rise like a Phoenix and save them. Ain't gonna happen.... never going to happen. Live with it.