Thailand rejects request to extradite Canadian suspected of robbing Singapore bank

rooster59

A number of indonesians wanted by indonesia for their involvement in the indonesian banking collapse are shacked up in singapore with their billions stashed in singapore banks.

Indonesia wants them back but singapore said no.

Now lets see singapore complain….all this talk of asean unity….its a very awkward marriage….most of them cant stand each other.

hehe.

6 hours ago, gdgbb said:

There is no extradition treaty between Singapore and Thailand.  Is that enough detail?

No. Generally, the absence of an extradition treaty between any two nations does not preclude any extradition between those two nations.

Specifically, according to Thailand's extradition act (Extradition Act, B.E. 2551), if the two countries have not signed a treaty, the requesting country must indicate a commitment of reciprocity. 

Section 9 The Thai government may consider surrendering a person for prosecution or serving punishment according to the Court’s judgment in a criminal case under the Requesting State’s jurisdiction to such State pursuant to the request as follows:

(1) Where it is an extraditable offence and not prohibited by the Thai law or not the offence of political character or military offence;

(2) Where there is no extradition treaty between them, when the Requesting State expresses definitely that the extradition will be granted in the same manner upon requested. 

One can only speculate whether it is the absence of any reciprocal deal being requested or accepted, whether—as many posters have quite understandably suggested—it has something to do with the large sum of money that was brought into Thailand, or, indeed, whether the AG himself is familiar with his own countries laws...

Edited by jamesbrock
Formatting issues

Extradition ... always a fun game in Thailand.

Thailand does not maintain many extradition treaties with countries. Shock Gasp Horror!! And the ones they do maintain are not the same as other countries. ...  Come on get your heads out of the sand, we've been dealing with this FACT for years at Thaivisa  :blink:

I'm always glad to see Nanny State Singapore to be given the middle finger. Not nanny state in the "generous welfare" sense. The "don't do this, don't do that, and no worries, we'll censor everything so you don't have to think for yourselves" nanny state.

This is simple really, if Thailand and Singapore has an extraditions treaty, than

Thailand can say NO all they want but in the end will hand him over if his case

ticks all the right boxes for extradition, if not, Thailand will only be shooting itself in

the foot for the future as Thailand has a lot more criminals that can hide in

Singapore than the other way around.....

57 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

One can only speculate whether it is the absence of any reciprocal deal being requested or accepted, whether—as many posters have quite understandably suggested—it has something to do with the large sum of money that was brought into Thailand, or, indeed, whether the AG himself is familiar with his own countries laws...

Or, what concessions Thailand is negotiating from Singapore behind closed doors.  Negotiations that may drag on quite a while.  The result of which, of course, we may never know.

19 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The issue Kerryd is that Thailand has an extradition deal with the US and UK and Canada it seems that Singapore did not think one was needed.

What surprises me and will probably get looked at closely is that ASEAN does not have that built into the agreement.

You would think that it would have been.

As to Canadian gov't involvement under the S.O.P. that is leading the country there is no way he will do anything.  Canada is about to become Obama light or shades of Pierre.  I wonder if his wife will follow his mother and go smoke a joint with the stones.

Bugger me,we hold our grudges,don't we.

All countries should terminate the agreements on extradition and cooperation of Interpol and the FBI.

WHY? 

just read wikileaks and not that shhh from usa and others 

or here 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-20/americas-humanitarian-war-against-world

biggest gangster usa , trilions lost in pentagon ... ah waste time with anglosass ass here

On 8/21/2016 at 0:48 PM, louse1953 said:

Bugger me,we hold our grudges,don't we.

:whistling: who me hold a grudge

Yeah in the case of that one prime minister I have a big grudge.  During his reign he created the most damage to the Canadian Army that any one person could have.  He cost us our identities, our uniforms and then cost us our ability to be soldiers with moves that created havoc for us.  We went from being one of the greatest military police forces in the world to a group that dealt with low morale.  We were no longer sailors, soldiers and airman to just plain people.  Then he had the gall to give us rights which screwed up the military.

The Americans are now going through it now and if the UK had of stayed with the EU military they also would have lost all identity.

Let me also add that he was a separatist before he became a prime minister.