Dangers of Cycling in Thailand

Thunderbirds20

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

My two biggest gripes dealing with traffic here whether , driving my car, riding my motorbike, cycling my bicycle or simply walking...is the way cars/ motorbikes pull right out in front of me from small side roads when I have the right of way on the main road. My second is when they pass me by going around me and then slam on the brakes (causing me to do same) to pull into a service station or side road , like you say, why not just pull in behind me.

Thai drivers do not pay any attention to their driving whatsoever. They daydream about other things or talk on the phone or whatever. This comes mostly from the lack of driver training/education. Hence the frequent occasion that you mention when someone goes around you to overtake you and just a minute later pulls in to a side street or service station, this happens because the mind simply isn't there to plan anything in advance.

You are fighting a few accepted beliefs in Thailand.

1) You are a foreigner, your life has zero value. Hitting you because you are in the way of someone driving recklessly is of no consequence.

2) You are on two wheels, you do not deserve to be on the road and you are just in the way of anyone on four wheels.

3) You are a bicyclist, you do not deserve to be on the road and you are just in the way of anyone on four wheels.

4) Thais on four wheels have the right to hit you, kill you, and they do not care. Nothing will happen to them for that anyway.

I'm sure there are more, that's just a highlight list. I know the area you speak of well. People drive like idiots there. I gave up on riding, sold my bike, and walk around a lot more. I stay off Jomtien Beach Road because on the beach side, the new sidewalks have become picnic areas so they are blocked in most places and across the street tourists clog up the sidewalks so I end up walking in the street instead of dodging people the entire time, which is a dangerous alternative.

I found a much better alternative when I want to go walking around where there is a clear path and my only problem are soi dogs, which at least are polite enough to allow traffic to walk in both directions on the sidewalk without clogging it up by walking 4 or 5 side by side. The soi dogs are more polite than a pack of tourists or Thais blocking the sidewalks with their picnic encampments.

Well, really.

So much anti-bicycle sentiment.

How many of those posters drink excessively,  drive while drunk, smoke, are overweight and take no exercise? Reckon I'll take my fitness and the small chance of an accident over the damage caused by alcohol, tobacoo and obesity.

Roughly 20 years of cycling in Thailand and around Asia, regularly 800 kms every month, I did fall off a few years ago on a slippery roundabout after a shower. Otherwise only the bl88dy dogs cause me issues. Almost all drivers are reasonably considerate. Really, they are.

I would not cycle in the centre of Bangkok, but otherwise no problem.

Last year I bought a very nice mtb here in pattaya and got my thai licences for car and motorcycle but the longer i live here the less inclined i am to do anything other than walk with caution. For me, it is just the complete lack of regard for any law or sense of self preservation let alone anybody else or acceptance of responsibility for anything. I'll take the bike home.

I ride in the rice fields up around Sara Buri, and some areas where I live in Phuket. First thing I did was put mirrors on my bikes so I can see who is speeding up behind me. Most drivers give me plenty of room. Biggest problem around Sara Buri is dogs wanting to attack. I jump off the bike and pick it up and run at them.....they are all basically cowardly and run away. Like riding a motorcycle, you just have to be wide awake all the time. Biggest problem on the motorcycle was truck drivers blowing through red lights.....Bloody morons.

41 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Well, really.

How many of those posters drink excessively,  drive while drunk, smoke, are overweight and take no exercise? Reckon I'll take my fitness and the small chance of an accident over the damage caused by alcohol, tobacoo and obesity.

Roughly 20 years of cycling in Thailand and around Asia, regularly 800 kms every month, I did fall off a few years ago on a slippery roundabout after a shower. Otherwise only the bl88dy dogs cause me issues. Almost all drivers are reasonably considerate. Really, they are.

Is it not possible to fill a squirty bottle with water and perhaps a small amount of ammonia or bleach as a deterrent. I am not a cyclist but a biker or a pickup driver so it doesn't affect me that much.

A few times I have ridden the bike dogs have come out but I drop a couple of gears, rev the engine and the dogs run away when I ride at them. After a few tries the local dogs seem to know the sound of my bike and leave me alone.

I am afraid that living in Pattaya or any other location in Thailand is absolutely no comparison to Bangkok driving or riding.

I also do not believe Thai drivers are necessarily worse than those in the west. Bangkok roads and users have a certain rhythm and once you understand that although it seems chaotic it can be navigated.

Thai drivers are more sensitive to motorcyclists than those in the west, that is for sure. I can testify to that. The traffic is often so dense and does not stick to western ideas of road use that cycling can be difficult I think and it's true that cars and particularly dek win on scooters often fly past at dangerous speeds barely missing other road users. I think the introduction of an age limit on driving may help?

Although Bangkok traffic is dense it seems safer than the unlit roads and bad surfaces of Nakhon Bumscratch in Isan where turn arounds in the road are like accident magnets.

There is big enthusiasm for cycling in Bangkok and they usually either cycle in big groups at night or do so in Lumpini Park.

4 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Not rely on your mirror , look over your shoulder.

Not wear a helmet , cars will make a wider loop around you when they see you are not protected.

8 years on a bike here and never had any problem.

You can find more info on the web :

How helmets HELP
  • Absorb some of the impact of collisions
  • Protect against scrapes and scratches
How helmets HURT
  • Drivers pass more closely, since helmeted cyclists seem less vulnerable
  • Head size is increased, making potential impacts with pavement more likely
  • Cyclists are encouraged to take more risks, since they feel protected

Me to. I am 78 and still cycle. My favorite gripe is that they pass you and then make a left hand turn right in front of you rather than wait behind you a few seconds or they curb you when turning left at a corner. I agree with the helmet part they give you a wide berth. I never attain the speed of younger bikers that fly by me. I peddle slow enough to avoid a lot of problems. Thais seem to have a Jekyll and Hyde thing when it comes to driving. The transition from the bicycle/motorbike here to big cars was to fast. 

13 hours ago, Thunderbirds20 said:

I live in Jomtien Beach and use a bicycle to get around during daylight hours.

Well I also use my bicycle around Jomtien beach and I have never had any problems so far as long as you pay attention to the traffic. Most cars will pay attention to bikes because they are used to them .   Where did this incident happen ?   It's difficult for any cars to speed up to 100  km/h here unless it was Jomtien 2nd rd. 

Of course there is always a danger on the roads here , but as long as you stay away from Sukhumvit and only ride your bicycle on beach rd and some of the side sois I don't feel much in danger, but you need to stay focused as always. 

13 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Thai Highway Code.  Size sets priority.   Cars give way to buses.  Small cars give way to big cars.  Motorcycle give way to cars.  Bicycles give way to everything

Except pedestrians of course, who are ALWAYS the lowest rung on the ladder (even below soi dogs according to some...).

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Back to Jomtien..the safest bet would be up and down the beach rd maybe on the footpath beachside where Ive seen lots of people riding bikes but not sure if its legall

So where are people supposed to walk.Footpath should give you a hint.

There's right and wrong on both sides. Motorists here don't seem to use rear-vision mirrors at all. Bike riders seem to assume because they are environmentally virtuous this confers road rights on them not available to other road users.

I use a scooter, and drive defensively with that and a car. IMHO bicycles are far too dangerous, because one does not have any acceleration to escape from a risky situation.

Cycling is dangerous and selfish in any modern country. it is an outmoded form of transport suitable as a child's plaything or for  use in the third world where poverty dictates their use. Bicycles should be used in velodromea or other dedicate areas. The silly green/pc view that has promoted cycling as a valid alternative to real transport is wrong. On a recent visit to the UK cyclists seemed to be entitled trouble makers making the roads dangerous for all users including them selves. In Thailand cycling is a rarity and an oddity. It is not respected and just associated with poverty and powerlessness.

4 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Well, really.

It's not about anti-cycling. I've been riding for decades but gave up on trying it in Thailand because of the idiots on the road. If you are a foreigner, there is zero rule of law, zero right of way according to the law, and zero repercussions for a Thai violating the traffic laws.

You make it sound like if you don't ride a bicycle in Thailand, there are zero fitness alternatives. One can exercise in the safety of their home, can go to a gym, exercise on the beach, in a park, a vacant lot....etc. I use all of these.

All of those are less risky than putting your life in the hands of a fragile ego Thai male behind the wheel of a gray pick up or even a little motorbike.

I find the soi dogs more polite than local drivers.

36 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

Cycling is dangerous and selfish in any modern country. it is an outmoded form of transport suitable as a child's plaything or for  use in the third world where poverty dictates their use. Bicycles should be used in velodromea or other dedicate areas. The silly green/pc view that has promoted cycling as a valid alternative to real transport is wrong. On a recent visit to the UK cyclists seemed to be entitled trouble makers making the roads dangerous for all users including them selves. In Thailand cycling is a rarity and an oddity. It is not respected and just associated with poverty and powerlessness.

I am waiting for driverless cars to take over.

It will eliminate all those drivers with attitude that bully and barge their way around the roads, leaving the roads safe and free for cyclists.   :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

I've spent the past two years living in the Netherlands where, during the 1970s, in response to rising numbers of child deaths in road deaths the Dutch government responded by promoting cycling 'over' motor vehicles, directing funding and planning, road building and town planning resources to promote cycling.

The result was not only the reduction in road deaths but also a range of other benefits, improved health amongst a public cycling rather than sitting in a car and a surprising improvement in the living environment within towns.

Promoting roads safe for cyclists, also promotes roads safer for pedestrians. Promoting cycling over cars also helps small businesses survive rather than being wiped out by our of town super/hyper markets.

Towns and cities that promote cycling and set about integrating their transport and road planning around cycling return higher scores on surveys of livng standards.

Your assessment that cycling is dangerous and selfish in any modern country is being proven completely wrong in the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, New York and towns and cities across the UK.

As for your claim that in Thailand cycling is asscociated with poverty and powerlessness - I ride with two clubs in Thailand and often join other groups from BKK and elsewhere. The membership of cycling clubs in Thailand is predominantly well educated middle class, maany of whom are able and willing to spend upwards of Bht350,000 on a road bike.

When I first started cycling in Thailand back in 1991, I would ride around what is still one of my favourite routes 'Bang Phra/Khoa Khiow' -  in the first 4 years of doing so I never once saw another sports cyclist. If I ride that route on any Sunday morning these days I expect to at least a hundered often many more cyclists out training.

Check out Car-Free Day Thailand - hundereds of thousands of Thai people across the country all out cycling - Cycling is huge in Thailand, and the people who take part are far from poverty or powerlessness.

You need to get out more and open your eyes.

8 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

Is there a reason why you posted this twice?

It doesn't improve with repetition, it's just as much nonsense as the first time you said it.

7 hours ago, n210mp said:

Here I go again, bait taken!

What a load of Pansies! At least the Nay sayers!

To mention bike (cycle)  accidents as some silly kind of  absolute proof that cycling in Thailand is dangerous is just as daft as saying that life  itself is dangerous.

Where there are mice and men there will be accidents, unforeseen circumstances etc etc etc.

Lets try not to panic chaps, let's keep things in perspective here.

You pick the right equipment for yourself, you pick the right environment to ride in and you dont mix it with the motorway or the inner city traffic for a start.

To take advantage of the oxygen laden night  air you go just before dawn in my case on roads that you know very well  and you finish before the mainstream traffic has taken over.

Friend of mine lives in downtown Pattaya, leaves his bike at another mates house near Mabrachan  and sets off in his car early doors, thus avoiding city traffic.

There will always be accidents in any event no matter how you try to avoid them but not to take part in any activity because of the uninformed and  hysterical fears, like the ones described in this thread is just pure Bulox, Yes, better for you to  just turn over and go back to sleep, better you die in bed from Fattyrop syndrome , enlarged liver and  lungs crusted with bitumen tar from the many ciggies that you consume that are of course not dangerous at all, are they?

Yes I know I purposely went over the top with this reply just to show that the pendulum if swung the other way is just as daft as some of the Pussy replies

It is also unhealthy for the cyclists dup to the traffic fumes they inhale. When people talk about the success of cycling in Europe they referto London whereso called bicycle lanes enrage as inconvenience other road users-Brighton where the cyclists are a danger to pedestrians and holland where people are more acquiescent. The introduction of cycle lanes in the UK has been and expensive experiment to meet the needs of a selfish morally superior minority. 

7 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Okay, I am lucky to have access to really great riding roads and can time my rides to avoid most traffic.  Still it is up to me to avoid accidents not someone else.  You can’t rely on the rules, regulations and expectations of another country.  You have to deal with the realities of living in Thailand.

If you can’t handle that, then I agree you shouldn’t be on a bike.  If you do ride, then take responsibility for your own safety and ride defensively.

Clouds + Bike - 3.jpg

Clouds + Bike - 5.jpg

Okay that's what you have but is not relevant to the original poster.

1 hour ago, alofthailand said:

It is also unhealthy for the cyclists dup to the traffic fumes they inhale. When people talk about the success of cycling in Europe they referto London whereso called bicycle lanes enrage as inconvenience other road users-Brighton where the cyclists are a danger to pedestrians and holland where people are more acquiescent. The introduction of cycle lanes in the UK has been and expensive experiment to meet the needs of a selfish morally superior minority. 

It's really surprising how popular cycling is now, all over the world.  I think a lot of the ill-feeling directed at cyclists on fora such as this derives from repressed jealousy.  They wish they could safely filter through red lights, that they had the visibility to see all round so that they could safely roll through "stop" signs, that they could filter through rather than forming traffic jams.

I actually find that cycling makes people much more pleasant.  I get a lot more smiles, and cheery thumbs-up from passing motorcyclists, drivers are much more courteous, and you can catch the eye of pedestrians and exchange a smile as you pass, compared to when I am in my car.

It makes you appreciate your environment, and gives you a much better appreciation of the quality of road repairs and utility installation.

What I would say is that you do need to keep one eye on the road, no matter how quiet and bucolic the scenery.  A missing drain cover, a sunken man-hole, a pot-hole can easily spell disaster.

18 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Cycling in Thailand is a big No No......

Too dangerous....

today was your warning....,

Baloney! See post #8. How would you know if you don't ride a bike?

I rode 5,000 km in Chiang Mai last year, and >6,000 km each of the two years before that. (More golf last year) I stay off the big highways and enjoy the quiet rural roads. Guesthouse (#8) and Stevemercer (#25) know what they're talking about.

I have one suggestion that no one else has mentioned. That is, when you see someone nosing out as you approach, move to the middle of the road. Use your whole lane and they'll get the idea you're coming through. I mean this to apply to rural road when no faster vehicle is approaching from the rear.

37 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It's really surprising how popular cycling is now, all over the world.  I think a lot of the ill-feeling directed at cyclists on fora such as this derives from repressed jealousy.  They wish they could safely filter through red lights, that they had the visibility to see all round so that they could safely roll through "stop" signs, that they could filter through rather than forming traffic jams.

I actually find that cycling makes people much more pleasant.  I get a lot more smiles, and cheery thumbs-up from passing motorcyclists, drivers are much more courteous, and you can catch the eye of pedestrians and exchange a smile as you pass, compared to when I am in my car.

It makes you appreciate your environment, and gives you a much better appreciation of the quality of road repairs and utility installation.

What I would say is that you do need to keep one eye on the road, no matter how quiet and bucolic the scenery.  A missing drain cover, a sunken man-hole, a pot-hole can easily spell disaster.

Where do you keep the other eye? 

Archived