Dangers of Cycling in Thailand

Thunderbirds20

To survive in Thailand you have to stop focusing on what you think people should be doing and focus instead on what is actually happening.  If you know people do the things mentioned then it isn’t dangerous because you are aware and drive appropriately.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, villagefarang said:

No ride for me today as I am watching the water rise and our house becoming an island.  I did get in a ride yesterday, however, so I am happy to sit back and watch this amazing event.  Water, water everywhere. 

Riding in floods - there's another danger.

My mate and I were out riding, and as we reached the furthest point and turned for home, we saw the storm clouds rolling in.  We could see we were not going to make it home... we were riding towards the storm, and sure enough, torrential downpour and intense lightning.  We chose to shelter in a shop for 45 minutes... to avoid the worst. Eventually, though we thought we had to set off, to be sure of getting home in the light.

It was still raining heavily when we came out, but not the stair-rods it had been earlier.  Unfortunately, the roads were flooded, with at least eight inches depth across the road in some places (obviously, deeper at the sides but still 8" at the crest of the road).

Fortunately, the drivers were remarkably courteous and considerate, but we were terrified of disappearing without trace into a hidden pot-hole.  I saw a car just in front of me drop off the side of some road-resurfacing, and suddenly one side of his car dropped four inches - that would've been enough to put you off your bike and under the car behind.  I started doing my best to drive in the tyre wake of the right-hand wheel of the car in front...

I hope this risk assessment exercise is helpful

SC

6 hours ago, villagefarang said:

No ride for me today as I am watching the water rise and our house becoming an island.  I did get in a ride yesterday, however, so I am happy to sit back and watch this amazing event.  Water, water everywhere. 

Time to take up jet skiing then?

4 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Actually both are extremely dangerous and do not happen as often or as drastically in the West as they do here. It is way worse here. Cars intentionally pull out of side streets endangering cars that are driving down the road and should be unimpeded. They keep pulling out until eventually it's so unsafe that someone stops, instead of the waiting car waiting until traffic clears and merging out onto the main road.

It's selfish and unsafe. As is racing in front of you and jamming on the brakes to turn, without using a turn signal. Also impulsive and unsafe.

Yes, this is Thailand so everyone accepts it.

I agree, vehicles pulling out from a small road onto a larger road without looking, or just inching out, rarely happens in the west, but I am seeing more and more of it in the US, usually cars inching out of parking spaces until someone has to stop. It's annoying, but not dangerous because you can see it happening.

I spend about 3 months a year riding in the US and Europe. As for cars pulling in front of you just before they turn, that happens to me every single day. No matter where I am, when I'm on a road where cars might turn into a petrol station or a parking lot, I'm watching for their brake lights.

As Villagefarang said " If you know people do the things mentioned then it isn’t dangerous because you are aware and drive appropriately. "

I think 7/11 riders who call in shows Lycra Clowns up like the Turian Rider on You Tube. Most are polite even in a gang of 20 plus. Then you get the Fortuna Mob,piss of,I'm on fitness Mission ,out my way old fart I'm coming through.Being Cycle Fanatic all my 71 years they disgust me,as they do they many older folk

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Trying to decipher that Ace of Pop, but I do note with satisfaction that you're now also a 'Cycle Fanatic'. Well done.  I also think I recall the 7/11 team of the eighties; a quick Wiki check confirms their existence and also that they morphed into Motorola at the end of that decade. I'm guessing that's the 'calling in' part you refer to Ace, and indeed Radio Shack took that call much further later on. I also assume you're having a dig at his Vegan-ness, Mr Durian Rider: Although he appears to eschew Lycra on occasion,  please go right ahead, no argument here. The 'Fortuna Mob'? Could have thought up a better analogy, but I hear you in a broad-brushed kind of way...

Now we're being so conciliatory, can I discuss your "Wants to be Treated Like a Car" submission? Short response is, "No, I don't wish to."

What I I do wish for is to be treated like a cyclist. If that means that I am able to share common thoroughfares with motorised vehicles, pedestrians, other cycles and even horse/elephant drawn carriages, then great! I also have been guilty of jumping a red light, albeit very occasionally, when it has appeared prudent from a safety risk assessment angle: I'd rather be alive paying the fine than be rear ended. Dead. Same goes for stop signs. Indeed, some more enlightened jurisdictions allow both of these and more for cyclists as a win-win for safety and efficient traffic flow.

So no, cars and bicycles and pedestrians, are not equal, and therefore deserve bespoke controls which allow for the safe sharing of transport networks.

That assumes a mutual respect and ability to share from all users. Not simplistic petty jealousy as I'm sure you will agree.

Now: Back to Thailand, been for a number of rides this past week. Still alive. Thankfully!

7/11 I refer to is the is the Shop visited by 2types of Cycle Riders .Smelly 30 ish Ferang Teacher Types who shove you out the way dashing to the fridge.Then there's the Normal ones who don't behave like Lycra Louts,just enjoying gentle ride..Not much point I saying anymore to admirers of Durian Rider and Street Racers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 8/27/2016 at 5:36 PM, Ace of Pop said:

14 hours ago, bobfish said:

...I also have been guilty of jumping a red light, albeit very occasionally, when it has appeared prudent from a safety risk assessment angle: I'd rather be alive paying the fine than be rear ended. Dead. Same goes for stop signs. ...

My apologies for the blank post above - I was struggling with the new editor, and couldn't get my text into the right place.

With respect to proceeding through red lights; as mentioned previously, I generally only do so with great caution.  However, I'd rather cross a junction when there was nobody else moving, than rely on a coloured light to protect me.  Furthermore, one of the greatest risks is moving off from the traffic light at the same time as the traffic around you.  At the least, I am an inconvenience to them, as my speed profile differs from theirs; furthermore, they may be planning on changing lanes in an unexpected way, so it can be difficult to safely position yourself on the road for a standing start. As an example, one light where I regularly turn right has one lane turning right, middle lane either turning right or going straight on, and left lane either going straight or turning left.  However, from time to time people pull up to the lights in the right hand lane but proceed straight on.

In the interests of safety, I filter to the front of the traffic, and make sure that I'm seen, but it's still an inconvenience.  If the traffic is moving when I reach the light, then the biggest worry is someone playing with their phone (maybe trying to figure out from Waze which way to go...).  So I prefer to get to the front of the traffic, and then if there is no moving traffic anywhere near, run the red light and get out of everyone's way.

SC

I'm arriving in Phuket in two weeks time and will be staying in Chalong for 7 months. I'm bringing my road bike. I've had 16 holiday visits to Phuket over the last 14 years and I know what the traffic is like. I have ridden a scooter around Chalong, Karon, Kata and Patong. Unlike my son, I ride slowly and defensively on the motorbike and plan to do the same on my road bike. I used to cycle all around the city centre in Brussels and have cycled in a number of cities in the UK, France, and Netherlands. Reading all the posts in this thread, the only thing that worries me is dogs. I'm rather wary of dogs at the best of times and trying to kick a dog that's trying to bite my leg and pedal and balance at the same time is a precarious situation to be in. I guess some kind of water pistol loaded with a solution of ammonia may be the best defense.

It seems I may well offend some of the contributors to this thread with my bib shorts and cycling jersey. I'm a classic MAMIL so apologies in advance for that.

Does anyone know of any cycling groups for relatively gentle rides? I'm talking about 30 to 40 km, not too hilly for a ride of a couple of hours or so.

Bib shorts are great.  Try making friends with the dogs first.  At your pace and distance, you might try joining one of the village cycling groups.  Up north where I live, the older generation usually form a village riding group but I don't know about Phuket.  It is a chance to meet locals and practice your Thai.  There might be a rider or two who speak some English as well.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:43 PM, el jefe said:

I agree, vehicles pulling out from a small road onto a larger road without looking, or just inching out, rarely happens in the west, but I am seeing more and more of it in the US, usually cars inching out of parking spaces until someone has to stop. It's annoying, but not dangerous because you can see it happening.

I spend about 3 months a year riding in the US and Europe. As for cars pulling in front of you just before they turn, that happens to me every single day. No matter where I am, when I'm on a road where cars might turn into a petrol station or a parking lot, I'm watching for their brake lights.

As Villagefarang said " If you know people do the things mentioned then it isn’t dangerous because you are aware and drive appropriately. "

Dangerous actions and behaviors are unsafe whether you try to predict them or not. One person can only predict so much stupidity as it boils down to mind reading. You may feel safe trying to read the minds of a 20 year old racing along in a pick up, a motorbike taxi flying around, or a Thai girl on two wheels who doesn't look anywhere she is riding, but between uni and my prior career, I spent decades in clinics, hospitals, and in the field analyzing the human mind and behavior and I still try to attempt it as little as possible in Thailand. It's a losing proposition.

Being around stupidity more doesn't make it any safer. And it is still no where near as unsafe in the US as it is here. It is light years more reckless in Thailand. I know, go to the US if you don't like it. That wasn't my point. I was addressing someone else's issue.

My motto for surviving in Thailand is to expect people to behave with the mentality of puppies and Teletubbies. Short sighted, impulsive, self-centered, instant gratification driven, and with zero regard for others. That's about as much predicting as I try and do.

2 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Being around stupidity more doesn't make it any safer

Ah yes. The stupidity is probably not much safer at that baseline.  But; recognising stupidity, for what it is, does give [the less stupid] a cognitive advantage. Extrapolating to the road cycling environment, there must be incremental safety gains, surely? If not, then at least allow me to ride in blissful ignorance!

17 hours ago, paulsingle said:

Does anyone know of any cycling groups for relatively gentle rides? I'm talking about 30 to 40 km, not too hilly for a ride of a couple of hours or so.

I think there is some thaivisa info on just that, if you're prepared to sift through some old threads. If you get the chance though, try some of the rides further north,  ie Heroines and up. Or even off the island - Phang Nga .... Koh Yao Noi....Krabi etc.    Khao Sok, is very special.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 0:14 AM, robertthebruce said:

Cycling in Thailand is a big No No......

Too dangerous....

today was your warning....

Not too dangerous at all. I cycle out of Chiang Mai averaging 550-600 km a week. Yes, we have incidents but when I was visiting the UK this year I also had incidents there. By posting that cycling is too dangerous in Thailand you are dissuading people from trying cycling which is a wonderful, healthy and generally safe activity. Keep out of the cities and off the highways and you've got a tremendous choice of roads and experiences. Off road is great too. Robert the Bruce obviously posts with no knowledge but I'd invite him out with us some time. Perhaps he'd enjoy 100km through the back lanes of Chiang Mai. We'll lend him a bike and a helmet.

On 8/31/2016 at 0:56 AM, paulsingle said:

I'm arriving in Phuket in two weeks time and will be staying in Chalong for 7 months. I'm bringing my road bike. I've had 16 holiday visits to Phuket over the last 14 years and I know what the traffic is like. I have ridden a scooter around Chalong, Karon, Kata and Patong. Unlike my son, I ride slowly and defensively on the motorbike and plan to do the same on my road bike. I used to cycle all around the city centre in Brussels and have cycled in a number of cities in the UK, France, and Netherlands. Reading all the posts in this thread, the only thing that worries me is dogs. I'm rather wary of dogs at the best of times and trying to kick a dog that's trying to bite my leg and pedal and balance at the same time is a precarious situation to be in. I guess some kind of water pistol loaded with a solution of ammonia may be the best defense.

It seems I may well offend some of the contributors to this thread with my bib shorts and cycling jersey. I'm a classic MAMIL so apologies in advance for that.

Paul: Chiang Mai is far better than Phuket for road riding; Check out the Facebook Roadriderchiangmai group.  Secondly: A squirt from your water bottle should deter 99% of Soi Dogs.

On 8/23/2016 at 5:29 PM, Ace of Pop said:

As with Cycles and Jet Ski use its both abused by idiots but one is done of highways. Mountain Bikers only hit trees that dont swerve to avoid them putting vehicles off their line. As for Health, total rubbish, many other safer ways , more for ego ,like the young Jet Boys. I do ride a Bike too off road.Im with the Old School Bikers not Lycra Posers.

Sadly for you Lycra has nothing to do with posing. Simply the most comfortable wear (not ware as you post) for cycling. I wouldn't dream of wearing anything else.

On 8/23/2016 at 5:29 PM, Ace of Pop said:

As with Cycles and Jet Ski use its both abused by idiots but one is done of highways. Mountain Bikers only hit trees that dont swerve to avoid them putting vehicles off their line. As for Health, total rubbish, many other safer ways , more for ego ,like the young Jet Boys. I do ride a Bike too off road.Im with the Old School Bikers not Lycra Posers.

On 8/22/2016 at 3:52 PM, alofthailand said:

Cycling is dangerous and selfish in any modern country. it is an outmoded form of transport suitable as a child's plaything or for  use in the third world where poverty dictates their use. Bicycles should be used in velodromea or other dedicate areas. The silly green/pc view that has promoted cycling as a valid alternative to real transport is wrong. On a recent visit to the UK cyclists seemed to be entitled trouble makers making the roads dangerous for all users including them selves. In Thailand cycling is a rarity and an oddity. It is not respected and just associated with poverty and powerlessness.

Goodness! I don't believe this ignorance. Are you for real?

On 9/16/2016 at 8:29 PM, ianf said:

Goodness! I don't believe this ignorance. Are you for real?

Only a fool would underestimate the depths of stupidity.

What surprises me is the difference between my experience of other road users when I'm cycling, and the sort of nonsense spouted above - and also the opinion of car drivers n whether roads are safe for cycling.  

However, a million courteous and thoughtful drivers won't compensate for one inattentive person texting on their phone or whatever.... but that is true anywhere

SC

I don't ride on BKK streets much other than on my slow 2 speed Brompton since it is clearly unsafe.

I stay off road or ride the airport track.

I was hoping to try Bike for Mom/Dad but they seem to be absent this year.

I tell foreigners this country is unsafe even walking since there is rarely a smooth sidewalk.

I knew a guy that almost died in a sewer because it was dark out and there was no manhole cover.

I accept if I get in a big accident that I will die since I have never seen a fast ambulance.

My only chance is to get strapped on to a taxi bike and give him 2000 baht to get to a hospital ASAP.

I recommend giving up on Western expectations of organization, efficiency, and consideration towards others, and just conform to how things work here.

You can't change a culture that doesn't promote independent and critical thinking.

I ride a bicycle in Bangkok, Dangerous? Of course, it is but not more than in another huge city... Use as less as possible the main road. Keep your left as much as possible. Be visible, use colorful clothes, use signals light and mirrors like for a scooter, a noisy horn using battery is useful too. Use secondary roads and small soi as much as possible.... That's it... You're safe. I noticed that most of the car's drivers paid attention to us

On 9/16/2016 at 8:19 PM, ianf said:

Sadly for you Lycra has nothing to do with posing. Simply the most comfortable wear (not ware as you post) for cycling. I wouldn't dream of wearing anything else.

I'm a bit of a poser, and I like to pretend I'm not a pretentious plonker, by cycling wearing football shorts and a hi-viz works tee-shirt which flatters my manly beer gut.  That way I can feel superior in my own mind to the chaps I see on their expensive bikes in lycra...

I was out cycling with my mate, and we passed a big group of cyclists.

"I wonder what they thought, as we zipped past?"

"Probably something like 'What was that?''
'Dunno - looked like cyclists, only bigger'"

SC

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2016 at 7:16 PM, ianf said:

Paul: Chiang Mai is far better than Phuket for road riding; Check out the Facebook Roadriderchiangmai group.  Secondly: A squirt from your water bottle should deter 99% of Soi Dogs.

I haven't put the bike together yet but will do in the next week or so. I've been chased on the motorbike by a couple of soi dogs but found that stopping and inviting them to come closer seems to make them lose interest. I'm in Chalong, Phuket and although it's busy and ill-disciplined it's no worse than Brussels which I've cycled extensively. I'll aim to get out of the town for the most part. Thanks for your tips.

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2016 at 3:52 PM, alofthailand said:

Cycling is dangerous and selfish in any modern country. it is an outmoded form of transport suitable as a child's plaything or for  use in the third world where poverty dictates their use. Bicycles should be used in velodromea or other dedicate areas. The silly green/pc view that has promoted cycling as a valid alternative to real transport is wrong. On a recent visit to the UK cyclists seemed to be entitled trouble makers making the roads dangerous for all users including them selves. In Thailand cycling is a rarity and an oddity. It is not respected and just associated with poverty and powerlessness.

Get out of the Bars and look around you. Cycling is huge in Thailand, compared to just a few short years ago.

Also maybe if dicks in cars stopped throwing bottles at cyclists when they are on bike paths near a road, as happened to me in Brisbane Australia, the cyclists might start giving a monkeys ass what fools like yourself think.

No for the post I intended before reading the above.

Yes cycling is dangerous in Thailand. But no more dangerous than many other countries. I, personally, believe that if you can drive here you can cycle here. There are many posts in this thread that talk of the atrocious driving in Thailand, and they are correct, IF you apply home country standards. But as you are not in your home country you cannot apply those standards when you drive here. To be a successful driver here you have to adapt your style of driving to suit the abilities of the drivers already here. Anticipation is crucial to this. Yes there are many stupid things done on the roads but you need to adapt and anticipate them as best you can. If you can't then you need to slow down to a speed where you are better suited to your ability to drive HERE! Lets face it, if you drive on the right at home you can't come here and say, these guys are crazy. They drive on the left. No. You adapt to driving on the left.

Same goes for cycling. I cycled for many years in England and Australia. Then had a break of 15 years, due to illness. During that break I have moved to live here in Thailand. Now, as my condition has improved, I have got back on a bike again and after 2 months I am riding up to 350Km a week, subject to intensity. Is it different to riding before, yes. Is it more dangerous? yes, but at least I don't have the ass hats trying to intentionally run me off the road, spit at me, throw water at me or as above chuck bottles at me.

I personally don't run light/stop signs as such, but if a threat is perceived I will get the hell out of the way of it. I would do that in a car as well. I don't ride on footpaths. Basically I obey the road laws as best I can.

Everybody KNOWS people don't look at junctions here when pulling out on to the road here. Everyone knows that drivers will turn in to a road on the wrong side if it is easier. Everyone knows cars, bikes and trucks will go 2 km the wrong way down a duel carriage way to avoid going 3km to turn round. If you live here you live with that and compensate with anticipation of these things.

I live in rural Thailand so very little city cycling for me but I do cycle in cities. I don't enjoy it, as I am cycle for a return to fitness and weight loss so prefer rides with few stops and junctions. But adaption to the conditions makes it possible.

As for the OP I lived in Jomtien for a few years and have seen exactly what he is talking about. Mostly it is because of narrow roads with high traffic volume, although the speed is just a fool.

Could I ride a bocycle in Jomtien? yes. Would I? if I lived there yes if there was a need. Normally I would take the bike in the car to a place suitable for the type of cycling I need to reach my goals.

And no riding in cities in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, is not good because of the polution, bat as a pedestrian you get the same polution for longer periods as you are slower. Sit in a bar in Jomtien or pattaya and you get the same polution as well. They are almost all open air <deleted>.

conventional bicycles, are targets...

I've only ever felt safer whilst riding my recumbent trike.

At 1.1 metres width & 2.5 metres long, it gets the attention,

as it's so 'different' and most drivers just don't know how to deal with it.

Only the once was I struck, and that was by a vehicle coming out from my left at a small roundabout,

collecting my machine at an oblique angle, and the trike got hooked on his fender.

I was pushed (sliding) until the vehicle stopped pushing me sideways.

He only stopped because I woke him up? - by bashing my fist into his driver's door panel

nice dent was left in his door  - as I rode off... no damage to my beast at all 

No matter how visible you make yourself, it's wasted on drivers who simply do not look

Archived