Thai Police to act against Pokemon Go gamers while driving

webfact

Police to act against Pokemon Go gamers while driving

image-1-wpcf_693x413.png

BANGKOK: -- Police are to enforce traffic law against Pokemon Go gamers while driving or while walking on public roads, shoulders of roads or sidewalks in a way which may block traffic or which may cause accidents.

Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, the acting metropolitan police commissioner, said Sunday that the police would initially focus on ten roads such as Rama IV, Sathorn, Vibhavadi Rangsit, Phaholyothin, Sukhumvit, Phya Thai, Petchaburi, Andre Dunong, Rama I and roads around the Victory Monument.

He said playing Pokemon Go game while driving or while walking on road shoulders or roads will be fined of up to a maximum of 1,000 baht starting on Monday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-act-pokemon-go-gamers-driving/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-22

Why is Pokemon so special it needs enforcement as there's no difference between that and phoning or texting when driving  /  riding and there's little enforcement against that   ?

Just more publicity to sound good although pedestrians could be easy pickings with the usual offer of the   '  no receipt  '   fine offer.

I love the idea that Thai Police officers are going to single out drivers who are playing Pokemon for compliance enforcement, so are they going to ignore all the other rule breakers while doing so?

This increased threat of enforcement will not overcome the attraction of Pokemon go.

two accidents I personally witnessed were caused by drivers with their faces stuck in their mobile phones, while out and about I have witnessed many vehicles driving dangerously and low and behold when I get a better look the driver has their face stuck in a mobile, I would guess that a fair percentage of accidents here are caused by mobile phone use along with drunk driving and plain stupidity 

So...if I tell the police that I am not playing Pokemon Go but I am just updating my Facebook profile (like 60% of the Thais) they will just let me go on my merry way???

Oh wait...I am a farang...they will just think of something else to pin on me.

**Obligatory disclaimer - This post uses sarcasm - don't sue the poster**

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Tourism Minister is using Pokemon as a major tourism incentive and the police are lining up to nick those driving or on the streets playing the ridiculous game.

The Tourism Minister is clutching at straws. It smacks of sheer desperation, if they really believe that Pokemon is going to bring in tourists..... It does make you wonder if the record tourist arrivals that TOT keep proclaiming, are indeed fudged numbers...

21 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

The Tourism Minister is clutching at straws. It smacks of sheer desperation, if they really believe that Pokemon is going to bring in tourists..... It does make you wonder if the record tourist arrivals that TOT keep proclaiming, are indeed fudged numbers...

Never! TAT is responsible for 100% of its statistical announcements. That percentage has shown a 19.57% increase ( all quality statistics) in the last 47 days. TAT expects it's announcements to reach164% by the end of the 7th quarter, although the expulsion of Pokemon from the UK due to Brexit may cause a temporary slowdown in the 5th quarter...

So is it OK to play angry birds while driving?

Does this mean all the tourists that are going to come to thailand just to play pokemon must use taxi's?

Great ideas to help thai tourism and economy, tell people they can come to thailand to play pokemon and thailand will have a book to show you how to play the best, and then force all the pokerists to use a motorbike taxi all day to play, thailand will be booming in no time

'He said playing Pokemon Go game while driving or while walking on road shoulders or roads will be fined of up to a maximum of 1,000 baht starting on Monday.' So the same farcical fine, whether driving or walking? How about throwing the book at drivers enhancing their incompetence by playing a stupid game while behind the wheel of a moving vehicle? If the RTP can't find the book, they can always play it by ear. 

10 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Anything,   absolutely anything,   to get what they think is good publicity but they still haven't worked out that most of the time they just makes fools of themselves.

They don't have to try very hard to make themselves look like fools. Sort of just happens naturally.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'He said playing Pokemon Go game while driving or while walking on road shoulders or roads will be fined of up to a maximum of 1,000 baht starting on Monday.' So the same farcical fine, whether driving or walking? How about throwing the book at drivers enhancing their incompetence by playing a stupid game while behind the wheel of a moving vehicle? If the RTP can't find the book, they can always play it by ear. 

You can drive your bike on the sidewalk and run red lights with your car and usually get no fine at all.

Furthermore, how will they know if they are playing Pokemon Go or using their phone for something else? Looks like a blanket excuse to collect 1000b fines for a while. Asoke area tourist beware.