Kasikornbank agrees to refund a customer who was robbed from his bank account

webfact

Kasikornbank agrees to refund a customer who was robbed from his bank account

image-29-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Kasikornbank has agreed to refund a customer who staged a sit-in protest in front of the National Police Office on Saturday after someone stole 986,700 baht from his bank account using his ID card and bank account numbers.

The fraud victim, Mr Pansuthee Meeluekit, owner of a car accessories shop, said that on July 31, a Mr Sureekrai Anumart, asked to buy products from his shop online and then asked for his bank account and ID card numbers so that he could wire money into his bank account.

However, the alleged con man used Pansuthee’s bank account and ID card numbers to apply for a new phone SIM card, claiming he had lost his SIM. Then he asked for the PIN number from the victim.

However, when Pansuthee went to update his bank account book to find out whether money had been wired into his account from Mr Sureekrai or not, he was shocked to find out that six withdrawals were made from his bank account on the same day for the total sum of 986,700 baht.

Responding to the victim’s plight, Mr Adis Laichuthai, senior vice president of Kasikornbank, said the bank regretted the incident and agreed to refund him for the amount stolen.

He said the bank would consult with other banks to work out ways to close the loopholes to prevent similar online scam from recurring.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/kasikornbank-agrees-to-refund-a-customer-who-was-robbed-from-his-bank-account/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-22

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Then he asked for the PIN number from the victim

PIN number for what ? 

What had the phone SIM got to do with anything ?

Why did the victim give away his PIN number ?

Am I being dumb ? or does this story make little sense ?

no reason to hand over your ID number for a bank transfer, and definetly don't hand over any PIN; so the guy is at fault there. Also who in their right mind would leave 1 Million in an ordinary bank account (no interest fo one) and not put a daily limit on withdrawals. He should had a bank account that had no money purely for online deposits, an then easily transferred the incoming money yo another account that customers didn't know the account number. i guess the crim with the new SIM may have got a one off PIN but also circumnavigated any SMS alerts for bank withdrawals; quite clever.

Glad he got his money back but does sound he was a bit at fault. At best it sounds a gray area and i the bank wouldn't have paid if it hadn't done something wrong.

Seems the phone company is responsible for giving a sim to someone without a proper id card. 

fwiw it should be easy to track the scammer as these transactions had to be online as most atms transactions would limit out

Edited by yankee99

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

@P28, from the other stories I understand that the fraudster used the replacement SIM to get a one-time PIN to access the account.

Yes they got a replacement sim and then asked a one time password change by sms. That last thing should just not be possible and should be done in person. That is what they are thinking about now.

But i think the main fault lies at the phone company, but they said it was a forged ID card. If that card was forged well... then maybe the phone company was not liable.

there is a certain amount of stupidity going on here but still the bank is ultimately responsible, why have they not tracked down the fraudster and charged him, pretty sure the bank will be able to reclaim most of the money back once this man is caught 

A good example of banking consumer protection in Thailand....that is, it's mostly based on a bank's policy vs law...and a company's policy can be quickly altered based on just right negative media story--but it has to be a story that gains wide media attention which is really, really hard to do.   

K bank had originally offered to reimburse one-third, then the story started gaining attention and they went to one-half, and then over the last few days in the story gaining "wide spread" attention they went to full reimbursement.   Power of media attention to reshape a companies policy "for this one incident."

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

no reason to hand over your ID number for a bank transfer, and definetly don't hand over any PIN; so the guy is at fault there. Also who in their right mind would leave 1 Million in an ordinary bank account (no interest fo one) and not put a daily limit on withdrawals. He should had a bank account that had no money purely for online deposits, an then easily transferred the incoming money yo another account that customers didn't know the account number. i guess the crim with the new SIM may have got a one off PIN but also circumnavigated any SMS alerts for bank withdrawals; quite clever.

Glad he got his money back but does sound he was a bit at fault. At best it sounds a gray area and i the bank wouldn't have paid if it hadn't done something wrong.

I have an account with Kasikorn and they pay interest on the deposit.

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

my business generally has over a million baht in the bank account. incoming revenue and money needed for stock means we need running capital and i am sure running a parts business they need the same. the problem here is the thief was able to get a new sim card to receive the pin number to make transactions maybe who ever gave him the sim card is really at fault.

Now  the bank is returning the money it is been named,

before when it was just going to repay half it was just

"A Bank",and not named, the Telephone company that

gave out the SIM should be named,and should have

payed half as well. he's a lucky man to have his money

returned,I check on my deposits every week,as it's not

only the crooks outside the banks ,but also within.

regards Worgeordie

I only noticed that if this guy didn't do what he did ( staged a sit-in protest in front of the National Police Office ) Kasikornbank never refund his money who was robbed from his bank account. Are all the robbed able to do it?

5 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

PIN number for what ? 

handing over PIN to someone and getting duped is mistake from the part of the customer - the bank should not have been punished for that. If the bank come out with tighter processes the difficulty is for customers in general

21 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

I only noticed that if this guy didn't do what he did ( staged a sit-in protest in front of the National Police Office ) Kasikornbank never refund his money who was robbed from his bank account. Are all the robbed able to do it?

but he was right from the start. banks honour fraudulent deals.

I am also a victim of theft from a well known bank in Thailand and the bank refuses to return the money.  2 years in court now and they still refuse.  The public need to be aware that the banks don't seem to have any legal obligation to keep your deposits safe.  If the judge rules in the banks favour then I guess my next course of action will have to be a sit in protest also.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

A good example of banking consumer protection in Thailand....that is, it's mostly based on a bank's policy vs law...and a company's policy can be quickly altered based on just right negative media story--but it has to be a story that gains wide media attention which is really, really hard to do.   

K bank had originally offered to reimburse one-third, then the story started gaining attention and they went to one-half, and then over the last few days in the story gaining "wide spread" attention they went to full reimbursement.   Power of media attention to reshape a companies policy "for this one incident."

The K-bank should sue the phone company, claim back the money from them.

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

PIN number for what ? 

You are being no dumber than the author of the OP.

PIN is an acronym for Personal Identification Number, so a PIN number must be a Personal Identification Number number.

Also, the OP detailed that the customer's bank account had been robbed.   That was not the case, as a robbery requires violence or a threat thereof.

5 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Seems the phone company is responsible for giving a sim to someone without a proper id card. 

fwiw it should be easy to track the scammer as these transactions had to be online as most atms transactions would limit out

Ah you have pointed out the weak link in the chain tracking the scammer= diligent police work and therein your problem lies. Money changes hands and poof!! Social media again saves the day. I wonder if the scammer will charge media users under the computer crimes act. 

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

this story is all over thai news. my girl has been following it for days. the bank at first offered to refund 1/3 of his money but once the media got onto the story they quickly agreed to a full refund.

Every west African in Bangkok is paying close attention....

Edited by bendejo

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The guy done well to get a refund.

About a month ago I had the get a replacement atm card as mine had stopped working.

here is part of the T&C's one must sign before they will hand over the card.

post-186594-0-05634600-1468535479_thumb.

Not applicable.

This was online fraud not ATM card fraud.

Edited by Evilbaz